Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playoffs 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

matthew8 wrote: »
    For the late game, I think Webb makes it more interesting. He seems to be more of a playmaker than Ponder.

I always wonder about teams with a backup who's nothing like the starting QB. Does the OC come up with an entire new scheme, with unique plays just for this guy? Do the starting receivers and Linemen have to run through this new game plan to get it down? Or do they just throw them all on the field come game day, and hope it sticks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Mike Mayock reckons Webb is going to worry the Packers, he's certainly different to what they have planned for with Ponder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

When did Jets cut the "Terminator"

davyjose wrote: »
    I always wonder about teams with a backup who's nothing like the starting QB. Does the OC come up with an entire new scheme, with unique plays just for this guy? Do the starting receivers and Linemen have to run through this new game plan to get it down? Or do they just throw them all on the field come game day, and hope it sticks?

We're gonna find out tonight! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

frostie500 wrote: »
    Losing your starting QB hours before a Playoff game is always bad for a team but given the fact that Ponder was arguably the worst starting QB in the league for much of the season (OK...second worst behind Sanchez!) you'd have to say that losing him isnt a huge loss. With the exception of last weekend against Green Bay when was he productive? Webb will give the Vikings an extra dimension with a mobile QB but it will be crucial that he makes some plays early

Ah that's overboard. I could name at least 6/7 worse starters. He started the season very well. He's only gone terrible since Harvin got injured. The Vikings have nothing at WR besides him.

People seem to presume Ponder is very average. He's anything but. He can be incredible at times, it's just that he makes some completely stupid boneheaded decisions that have you wondering how he ever got into college, let alone a masters degree in 3 years. He certainly has a place in the league if he can improve his consistency

AJ Green is pretty decent.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    We're gonna find out tonight! :D

Ha ha, we sure are.

Can. Not. Wait. Go Vikes!!!

HigginsJ wrote: »
    AJ Green is pretty decent.

I know he didn't get the first down, but it was a stupidly good catch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

If Texans lose this anyone think Kubiak gets fired?

Rochey18 wrote: »

No chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Does anyone else here sort of have 2 teams? LIke one for the AFC and one for the NFC. I'd consider myself 60% Ravens fan and 40% Cowboys fan. Works great too because it's 4 years until their next regular season meeting.

I will be on my own here, especially on this forum, and while I'm a 100% packers fan. I have a fondness for the...Patriots. I just admire their consistent quality and BB not giving a **** about anyone.

Rochey18 wrote: »

I think Schaub might be looking over his shoulder though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Joe Webb becomes the first QB to start a play-off game after not attempting a single pass in the regular season!

Not sure what to think of the Webb situation. I'm kind of worried. I remember the first game of Super Bowl season when we faced the eagles and we were dominating thmn. Kolb got injured and Vick came in and destroyed us, although we just held on for the win. I'd worry with lack of prep something similar could happen.
    Still overall, I'm very confident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I think Schaub might be looking over his shoulder though.

He won't be. QBs like Schaub are not easy to come by. People say things like drop Romo, drop Flacco, drop Schaub, and they don't realise just how rare elite QBs are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

In terms of the NFL, Green is wide open on that play. Awful throw by Dalton.

Don't know why they accepted the penalty. It stopped the clock. If they declined it would've gone to the 2 minute warning and they could've knelt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Dalton still didnt make a 3rd down did he?

He won't be. QBs like Schaub are not easy to come by. People say things like drop Romo, drop Flacco, drop Schaub, and they don't realise just how rare elite QBs are.

Edit: yeah I see what you mean. I just think Houston need to find someone who can put the team on his shoulders when it counts. They wont win a Super Bowl otherwise

• Advertisement

SK1979 wrote: »
    Dalton still didnt make a 3rd down did he?

Not sure, but he was terrible today. Any half decent performance would have won that game.

Edit: yeah I see what you mean. I just think Houston need to find someone who can put the team on his shoulders when it counts. They wont win a Super Bowl otherwise

There would be plenty of takers if any of the 3 above we're on the market. Elite or not they are a damn sight better than a lot of the guys starting elsewhere.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    There would be plenty of takers if any of the 3 above we're on the market. Elite or not they are a damn sight better than a lot of the guys starting elsewhere.

In fairness he didn't say anything about Romo or Flacco (at least in this thread, may have criticised them earlier in the year).

In fairness he didn't say anything about Romo or Flacco (at least in this thread, may have criticised them earlier in the year).

I said they werent elite before my edit: I misread your post though.

Personally I think schaub is good enough to lead them to the Super Bowl. He is not a flacco or romo. He is much more consistent imo,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ahem, Flacco has won playoff games every year he has been in the league

And was a dropped ball away from the Superbowl

Inconsistent?

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ahem, Flacco has won playoff games every year he has been in the league

And was a dropped ball away from the Superbowl

Inconsistent?

Well, he is inconsistent. He was very lucky to win some of those playoff games. Plenty of poor games this year too.

cooker3 wrote: »
    Personally I think schaub is good enough to lead them to the Super Bowl. He is not a flacco or romo. He is much more consistent imo,

The guy who hasn't thrown a TD in four games, and one in the last five? And all in the same timespan as 4 INTs?

Edit: 4 Ints.

Flacco has played some good games in play-offs but he also plays Terri-bad at times.
    Look at schaub career and he has been very generally consistent. Yeah, he's had a few bad games but overall a good qb who could be great. I doubt flacco or romo ever will.

(I didn''t mean to turn this to an anti-flacco thing though)

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

I think the Vikings vs Packers game is going to be fascinating.

I saw the Lions at Vikings game last season and Joe Webb had the Lions defence in absolute fits with the way he ran with the ball. He's incredibly quick and elusive. If the Packers stack the box to deal with Peterson it'll give Webb lots of space. Play action could be extremely successful and I think a couple of wildcat plays could prove to be very successful.

Packers best defensive package is the nickel package. They won't get a chance to run that today if the Vikings are close, this will also help the Vikings. This is gonna be either a classic or a blowout. I'm going to put a few euros on Webb and the Vikes for the craic.

Go VIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Good or Bad, Webb will be entertaining. Can't wait

Ponder Schmonder!

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Good or Bad, Webb will be entertaining. Can't wait

It's Ironic that he's #14 -- half of 28 :p

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Can't find any market offering Webb first touchdown scorer. Bastards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Peterson clearly still lording it over the Packers D.Webb looks like he won't be able to throw accurately so I fear AD will tire out in the latter stages.

Peterson clearly still lording it over the Packers D.Webb looks like he won't be able to throw accurately so I fear AD will tire out in the latter stages.

There will be a lot of that short inaccurate passing. But be warned, he can and probably will complete a long bomb at some stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Culinary Academy

A real football powerhouse :cool:

Will the Vikes need any passing yards? The packers will need to put 10 in the box

Wow Joe Webb, what are you doing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Jesus Joe don't do that !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Joe Webb thought he was shooting free throws there :eek:

All Day tire out? No way!

Bizarre play by Webb there, could have been a pick six.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

You know, with their dearth of weapons at WR Webb might be a blessing in disguise. Probably one of very best athletes at QB and he'll open up lanes for AP too against a Packers team that seem to be clueless against the run. They won't have been prepared properly for Webb and that should play in his favour too.

Of course the ability to play that game all depends on the Vikings' defence keeping Rodgers relatively quiet. I wonder.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

First time watching the Vikes,I thought ponder was QB?

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    First time watching the Vikes,I thought ponder was QB?

He's injured, Webb plays instead.

Matthews you legend. :D

Clay Matthews. So good he sacks while on the ground.

Joe Webb, take the sack

He's going to get picked off with that sh!t

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Jesus Webb might get caught out if he keeps throwing the ball out like that when he's sacked

Advertisement