Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playoffs 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Why can't we save this discussion for the weeks and months after the superbowl when we're bored senseless and have nothing else to talk about :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Looks like I'll have to make it clearer for you. The regular season is like a league campaign. It can't be fluked, only consistency and winning gets you to the post-season. So how someone say the regular season doesn't count is totally laughable.

Now when you enter the post-season, you are entering a sudden death competition - are you getting my point now? And like ANY sudden death competition the world over, Luck and destiny can and do often play a big part of it.

The Giants are a prime example of this, barely made the play-offs last year with losing 5 of their last 8 regular season games. Worst win loss ratio ever for a SB winner. Their win loss record for the last seven years is Win 66 : Lose 46, while the The Pats are Win 88 : Lose 24. Who's the better team then? Or perhaps a more logical question would be, who do you think teams would prefer to play? Because it should be pretty obvious, but you'd need to be an idiot not to see it though.

Amazing to me how people can deny the existence of cold hard statistics. If anything, if reveals a lack of knowledge or perhaps some naivety towards the game. Because American Football is one sport where performance statistics cannot be ignored.

Use the Champions league then. Using the FA cup is pointless because it is not a competition that big teams put 100% effort into winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

Use the Champions league then. Using the FA cup is pointless because it is not a competition that big teams put 100% effort into winning.

Teams don't put 100% into the FA Cup? I think you are confusing it with the League Cup. I'm a United fan and I don't see Sir Alex treating it as a second rate competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

mongoman wrote: »

Teams don't put 100% into the FA Cup? I think you are confusing it with the League Cup. I'm a United fan and I don't see Sir Alex treating it as a second rate competition.

That's why he had a second rate team out against West Ham last time out?

No big teams care for the FA Cup anymore like they used to.

That's why he had a second rate team out against West Ham last time out?

No big teams care for the FA Cup anymore like they used to.

The United team which played West Ham should have been well able to beat them. Ever hear of squad rotation? The big clubs who compete in all competitions have to do it. The clueless see a weakened squad or a big star or two missing. Adjusting to the level of competitive threat you meet, is part of the modern game. The days of fielding your first 11 for every game and every competition are no longer possible and it has nothing to do with teams disrespecting any particular competition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Trying to use the CL, PL or FA Cup to match it to the NFL is stupid.

SantryRed wrote: »

The NFL play-offs are sudden death and sudden death is sudden death, no matter what banner the sport is held under.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

mongoman wrote: »
    The NFL play-offs are sudden death and sudden death is sudden death, no matter what banner the sport is held under.

The NFL is everything to all its teams though. There is no fallback competition unlike football in which a team can have an awful season but still end up in the FA cup final. That makes it unique. In the NFL, sudden death means lose and the season's over. In football it usually doesn't.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Stupid to compare them no matter what the format of the games are.

One is a spending free for all and the other has a salary cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

SantryRed wrote: »

This "debate" has gone past ridiculous. To say the Pats were not one of the best if not the best NFL team of the last 10 years is trolling at the highest order.

The same argument can be applied to the Brady/Manning debate. But I'm sure the anti-Pats trolls don't use the same argument that Manning hasn't won Superbowls as a reason to say he is not the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hazys wrote: »
    This "debate" has gone past ridiculous. To say the Pats were not one of the best if not the best NFL team of the last 10 years is trolling at the highest order.

The same argument can be applied to the Brady/Manning debate. But I'm sure the anti-Pats trolls don't use the same argument that Manning hasn't won Superbowls as a reason to say he is not the best.
    :D

Ok, ok I won't start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Hazys wrote: »

lol of course the Pats are one of the best teams but this is over 8 years as stated so let's stop changing the goalposts. Also this 'anti-Pats' stuff is a load of cringey horsesh1t. You're being way to sensitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

this is not discussing the playoff 2012, can ye just start a seperate thread if you guys want to keep this goin pls?

John to win the Harbowl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I think The Pats will do it this year. Although its written for the Ravens.

Also this 'anti-Pats' stuff is a load of cringey horsesh1t.

Ah come on, it is blatantly obvious though. The only critisim I would give Pats fans is they should ignore the shít stirrers and just take the jealousy/hate toward them as a compliment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I think The Pats will do it this year. Although its written for the Ravens.

Nothing's written though. Would be a nice story, but New England will win it all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

davyjose wrote: »
    Nothing's written though. Would be a nice story, but New England will win it all.

The weekend will tell.

Looking forward to some great games.

Last week-end of ''real '' football in my opinion before the half-time-show mob wind up:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Weather report for tomorrow:

BA--wLSCYAMIPTX.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The weekend will tell.

Looking forward to some great games.

Last week-end of ''real '' football in my opinion before the half-time-show mob wind up:D

Ah yes, the superbowl itself is not "real football"

hold up, what?

kryogen wrote: »
    Ah yes, the superbowl itself is not "real football"

hold up, what?

The halftime show is a farce and a disgrace though. And the game suffers for it.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't go quite that far,but there is way too much hype and non-football stuff for my taste.

Sorry 'bout that,that's the way I roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Tonight is the real night of football,

Conference Championship Games > Superbowl

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Tonight is the real night of football,

Conference Championship Games > Superbowl

Ridiculous comment................tell that to Jim Kelly.................and all the band waggoner's who slam the Superbowl for the halftime show etc etc get back to the soccer or rugby, your only doing it for the beer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Surprised at the Super Bowl hate. I love it, fantastic occasion. My only gripe with the half time show is the quality of performers they have these days. Gone are the days Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Prince etc. Now they've made a conscious decision to for the most mainstream pop acts they can find to boost viewing figures and satisfy the companies who shell out millions for advertising space.

Nothing will ever beat this though, majestic stuff -

Ridiculous comment................tell that to Jim Kelly.................and all the band waggoner's who slam the Superbowl for the halftime show etc etc get back to the soccer or rugby, your only doing it for the beer

Tbh I think Jim Kelly has much fonder memories of the conference championship round than the superbowl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Paully D wrote: »
    Weather report for tomorrow:

BA--wLSCYAMIPTX.jpg

That's not too bad after last week in fairness. Ray Rice said there that last week's conditions were by far the toughest he'd ever played in and it was the most physically demanding game of his life. Considering yee got an extra day's rest, a test like that can only stand in your favour

I don't think so.

Most of the people here are true football fans,and your comment is disingenuous to say the least.

Nobody "slamming"the Superbowl just stating their preference is for games based solely on football played on home venues .

Super Bowl is a great occasion, but people here who know their football see this weekend as the big stuff.

Enjoy:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I don't think so.

Most of the people here are true football fans,and your comment is disingenuous to say the least.

Nobody "slamming"the Superbowl just stating their preference is for games based solely on football played on home venues .

Super Bowl is a great occasion, but people here who know their football see this weekend as the big stuff.

Speak for yourself, yes the games this weekend are big, but all four teams are playing for one thing, the Superbowl, you don't brag about the Divisional Championship, because if you are it's because you lost the Superbowl! These guys play for one thing, and ont thing only.....a Superbowl ring!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Im same conference weekend is more exciting two games to look forward to.

I have looked at 49ers at Falcons ,

and its very hard to see anything but the win for the 49ers, still undecided on patriots game, ravens not great on road at times but could suprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

kmart6 wrote: »
    Speak for yourself, yes the games this weekend are big, but all four teams are playing for one thing, the Superbowl, you don't brag about the Divisional Championship, because if you are it's because you lost the Superbowl! These guys play for one thing, and ont thing only.....a Superbowl ring!!

Agree with everything you've said there but we're not players we're fans and as a fan of the sport who has no loyalties to any of the teams remaining i think this weekend is better. The superbowl is great but we should get 2 top notch games tonight so as a sports fan that will make me happier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Only a few more hours to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

I don't think so.

For those who know football see this as the big stuff? What?

Been a fan 22 years now and Coach the game and played the game and go to games and I think you are way off the mark trying use the line "people who know their football line". Tonight's games are important but the Super Bowl is the big one no matter how you swing it. If you are a neutral and prefer 2 games over 1 so be it but the Bowl is the important one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Em....can't wait to see Eddie Lacey up against the 49ers run defence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Em....can't wait to see Eddie Lacey up against the 49ers run defence!

What paper was that in :D Come on Alabama beat them 49ers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

This week flew by thanks to Manti. Both could be great games and both could be blow-outs, likely in favour of the Patriots and 49ers. Hopefully it's the former.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

TO. wrote: »

What paper was that in :D Come on Alabama beat them 49ers.
    Not sure seen it on twitter!

Didn't think the new BCS playoff system was in place already!!

Russell Wilson has been top class on NFL Network today. Really good insights.

Paully D wrote: »
    Russell Wilson has been top class on NFL Network today. Really good insights.
    Well don't know what you make of this so....
    Per @mortreport, a rep for Russell Wilson has asked the Seahawks for a raise, even though CBA prevents it http://t.co/S7HBZOZV

Poor Champ Bailey looks sick :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Well don't know what you make of this so....

How are those two things connected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Surely the value pick of the year.

Alfred Morris has been a revelation but he has Shan's seemingly magic blocking schemes and RG3 to help him out - to get a player of Wilson's quality at QB in the third round is the stuff of Joe Montana-tinged dreams. A whole lot of teams will be wishing they looked beyond his height now.

To be fair to him he obviously deserves more money than a 3rd round pick now but who knows how those rules are structured. Are bonuses allowed under it? That's the great escape in most of these situations.

I see it as him and his camp looking for more money for doing his job! He's out there giving great insights, but behind the scenes looking for more money.....don't like that!

Syferus wrote: »
    Surely the value pick of the year.

Alfred Morris has been a revelation but he has Shan's seemingly magic blocking schemes and RG3 to help him out - to get a player of Wilson's quality at QB in the third round is the stuff of Joe Montana-tinged dreams. A whole lot of teams will be wishing they looked beyond his height now.
    Yeah don't think there's been anyone close to his value this year!

The Super Bowl is obviously the big game, and the most important game of all. But the big fcuking hoohaa! they make about it interferes with the game.

Halftime is too long. It's far from ideal to let fully warmed up athletes cooling in the dressing room for close to an hour.
    .......and all the band waggoner's who slam the Superbowl for the halftime show etc etc get back to the soccer or rugby, your only doing it for the beer
    Lol at the dude who calls the people who've spent countless hours, reading, watching, commenting, and obsessing about the game all season, and beyond "bandwagoners".

Most people's criticism of the Super Bowl IS the fcuking halftime show. WTF do football fans care about Madonna? You think people watching the Champions League final think "yeah, it's pretty good, but need more Black Eyed Peas". :rolleyes:

I see it as him and his camp looking for more money for doing his job! He's out there giving great insights, but behind the scenes looking for more money.....don't like that!

Of course he wants more money, he has every right to. He's been the best rookie this year, and one of the best overall QBs on a third round salary. Most teams would be delighted to pay someone performing to his level 10 times his salary. That said, apparently a raise is impossible.

Yeah don't think there's been anyone close to his value this year!

Ah Morris has been pretty close 2nd. A 6th round rookie breaking the franchise rushing record in his first year.
    Redskins were going nowhere close to the playoffs without him.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Of course he wants more money, he has every right to. He's been the best rookie this year, and one of the best overall QBs on a third round salary. Most teams would be delighted to pay someone performing to his level 10 times his salary. That said, apparently a raise is impossible.
    Not how it works, you should honor your rookie contract and be grateful for the chance! You'll be rewarded when it comes around to the right time, making an issue out of it now is ridiculous IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

One of Randy Moss, Tony Gonzalez, Ed Reed or Wes Welker will finally win a SB this year. Welker isn't at the same level as the other three, but it still feels like neutrals should be happy for him (big boost to his HOF credentials). Frank Gore and Logan Mankins also deserve a mention.

Also discovered this on reddit today: Tom Brady has more SB appearances than 20 teams. IF the pats win today only the Steelers, Cowboys and Patriots will have been to the SB more than Brady.*

davyjose wrote: »
    Most people's criticism of the Super Bowl IS the fcuking halftime show. WTF do football fans care about Madonna? You think people watching the Champions League final think "yeah, it's pretty good, but need more Black Eyed Peas". :rolleyes:

In fairness I wouldn't mind watching Messi run rings around someone to be followed by Fergie running around a stage!:p

matthew8 wrote: »

He doesn't really have every right to. He signed his contract knowing well and good what the terms of it were. He had an incredible season, but signing for the Seahawks worked very much in his favour. Very few other franchises would have given him the starting job in week 1, with a big money QB on the bench.

• Advertisement
Advertisement