Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playoffs 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Looking for a new contract is still a world away from punditry. I'd also wait to see how he goes about it before judging him. He hasn't really made an issue out of it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Masked Man wrote: »
    One of Randy Moss, Tony Gonzalez, Ed Reed or Wes Welker will finally win a SB this year. Welker isn't at the same level as the other three, but it still feels like neutrals should be happy for him (big boost to his HOF credentials). Frank Gore and Logan Mankins also deserve a mention.

Also discovered this on reddit today: Tom Brady has more SB appearances than 20 teams. IF the pats win today only the Steelers, Cowboys and Patriots will have been to the SB more than Brady.*

He is in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

kmart6 wrote: »
    In fairness I wouldn't mind watching Messi run rings around someone to be followed by Fergie running around a stage!:p
    Not SAF before someone says it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Not SAF before someone says it!

When i read it thats exactly what i thought you meant (confusing as it was).
    Maybe i'm just getting old. Or getting gay.

davyjose wrote: »
    He is in my book.

Mine as well but I'm pretty far from objective. I just added that cause I figured somebody else would say it. It's an understandable position to think he isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hard to believe it was week 3 for the first Ravens/Patriots game. The season went so fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

davyjose wrote: »
    Ah Morris has been pretty close 2nd. A 6th round rookie breaking the franchise rushing record in his first year.
    Redskins were going nowhere close to the playoffs without him.

With RG3 and Shanahan's blocking scheme there probably upwards of 40 RBs in the league that could have been productive enough to leave the Redskins in much the same spot as they ended up in. Much as I love Morris I can't shake the feeling his success is in huge part the machine, remember, he can't really catch so it's not like he has dual threat ability. Willis McGhee hit very simliar numbers to Morris once Tebow took over - the option is a huge benefit to any RB. RBs are far easier to find than a franchise QB. Just ask the Browns.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nightowlzaphod

Come and join John Arnette's live pre-match show

http://www.betdaqnfl.com/live-stream/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Syferus wrote: »
    With RG3 and Shanahan's blocking scheme there probably upwards of 40 RBs in the league that could have been productive enough to leave the Redskins in much the same spot as they ended up in.

Wow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Difference with Welker is you get the feeling he has plenty more left in him. For Gonzalez this is almost officially his last chance, and Reed and Moss can't have long left either. I think it's biggest for Reed/Gonzalez, at least Moss has played in a super bowl.

When i read it thats exactly what i thought you meant (confusing as it was).
    Maybe i'm just getting old. Or getting gay.
    It would be a sight to behold though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

\Willis McGhee hit very simliar numbers to Morris once Tebow took over - the option is a huge benefit to any RB. RBs are far easier to find than a franchise QB. Just ask the Browns.

Seriously stop calling it the option. It is the blocking scheme that helps downhill running. There are many teams that use similar blocking schemes that don't run the option. Denver adjusted their blocking schemes to heavy zone orientated blocking to suit the option. Turns out the Zone blocking schemes go hand in hand with option playbooks. Baltimore run a zone blocking scheme also hence why Ray Rice is able to burst through like a beast and why that O-line gives him space. But guess what they don't run the option at all.

If you knew anything about Shanahan at all you would know he has run the Zone blocking schemes for donkeys years. He has now found a QB and Runningback that both benefit from Option football on one hand and a Zonal blocking scheme on the other. Morris is a perfect downhill runner for the blocking scheme just like Rice on the Ravens.

Just switched on, who is the guy in the dodgy suit?!

Wow.

That's inclusive of RG3. No one is saying they'd rack up the same yards but they'd have done enough to move the chains and present enough threat to open up deep balls for RG3. The unique circumstances in Washington is pretty much an RB's dream situation.

When RBs have broken out under Shanahan they invariably have noticeable lower production after they're divorced from him, he's clearly fantastic at designing blocking schemes. Kubiak has taken the same style of blocking to Houston and although again Arian Foster is a fantastic back it's hard to say it's just simply talent that has caused that scheme to turn so many RBs into stars.

That's inclusive of RG3. No one is saying they'd rack up the same yards but they'd have done enough to move the chains and present enough threat to open up deep balls for RG3. The unique circumstances in Washington is pretty much an RB's dream situation.

When RBs have broken out under Shanahan they invariably have noticeable lower production after they're divorced from him, he's clearly fantastic at designing blocking schemes. Kubiak has taken the same style of blocking to Houston and although again Arian Foster is a fantastic back it's hard to say it's just simply talent that has caused that scheme to turn so many RBs into stars.

Whatever about the system, the proclamation that there is 40 other running backs you could plug in to do the same job as Morris is outlandish. 40? Forty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Damn it jeff isn't on sky tonight. I mean Daryl Johnson is cool and that other gob****e whos name I've forgotten bugs me.

So wait you are contradicting yourself here which leads me to believe you don't fully understand the difference between a blocking scheme and offensive scheme. First you said Morris has gotten all his yards due to Option football now you are saying it is basically the blocking scheme. Make your mind up. The blocking scheme would be the right selection but know the difference.

Shanahan has had 7 RBs with over 1000 yards in 15 years in the NFL as HC. Runningbacks are his thing. The skins have found a runner who suits his blocking schemes. The option part is there to suit RGIII.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Damn it jeff isn't on sky tonight. I mean Daryl Johnson is cool and that other gob****e whos name I've forgotten bugs me.
    Ah that's who it is!!

Bradlee Van Pelt is the other guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Looking at bets Hernandez should have a big night , they showed on nfl network how Ravens looked soft against tight ends and Wide Receivers such as welker.

Whatever about the system, the proclamation that there is 40 other running backs you could plug in to do the same job as Morris is outlandish. 40? Forty?

I wonder does that include Hightower Royster and Helu?

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »

You bite your tongue! Bradlee Van Pelt's swoop is one of the best things on television.

That includes starting running backs :pac:

If anything I'd say there's even more because there are plenty of talented back-ups in the league that could be very productive in a featured role.

I think his own blocking ability is a significant part of what helped Morris become a star this year. Few rookies can be trusted in coverage so to be that's perhaps the better testament to him than simply his numbers. He has the right attitude and will be a productive player for years to come if he stays in Washington. I just wouldn't fully buy in until there's more tape in the can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I'd imagine Vince Wilfork sets a high standard for people to live up to in practise.

You bite your tongue! Bradlee Van Pelt's swoop is one of the best things on television.

Ya It's a work of art! Still means hes a gob****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭JaimeLannister

I notice our old buddy Nick Halling is presenting the NBA coverage on Sky. Anyone know why he's not doing the NFL anymore? (i know its been a while but i always just assumed he left Sky, so was surprised to see him doing the NBA)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I notice our old buddy Nick Halling is presenting the NBA coverage on Sky. Anyone know why he's not doing the NFL anymore? (i know its been a while but i always just assumed he left Sky, so was surprised to see him doing the NBA)

Got a permanent role commentating on Boxing. Don't know why he's doing NBA. I think he may just fill in for Kevin Cadle.

Got a permanent role commentating on Boxing. Don't know why he's doing NBA. I think he may just fill in for Kevin Cadle.
    I'd say he's just doing it till after the Superbowl, the intro to the coverage had Cadle doing the voice over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Here we go lads. Second last weekend of football until September :( Enjoy it and come on Baltimore!!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭JaimeLannister

Cheers. Does that mean Kev is gonna be the regular host on Sky's NBA coverage? "Seven nuthing in our BALLLLL game" ;)

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I'd imagine Vince Wilfork sets a high standard for people to live up to in practise.
    Yup, everyone must eat 50 hot dogs before they can leave the pitch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So here it is the night where a win guarantees a trip to the Superbowl. Really pumped up already for the Ravens @ Patriots but will be interesting to watch the Falcons and 49ers. #

Personally I think the Falcons have been underestimated all season despite an excellent record. Its going to be all on Kaepernick in this one. The Falcons are excellent at stopping the run, it will be interesting to see if Kaepernick can get room to run because I don't think there is any chance he can beat them with his arm alone.

Cheers. Does that mean Kev is gonna be the regular host on Sky's NBA coverage? "Seven nuthing in our BALLLLL game" ;)

:D That and the "WOW WOW WOW," drinking game.

"We'll see you next week for those 3 letters...the N....B......Aaaaaaaaaaaaaay"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Liked the way they sang the star spangled banner there...way better than the standard mariah carey type singer that takes about seventeen minutes and completely butchers it.

:confused:

HigginsJ wrote: »
    :confused:
    Never mind, was meant as a joke!

Never mind, was meant as a joke!

Over my head :o

Great throw and catch!

Boom! Serious blown coverage there!

• Advertisement

Boom! Too easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Great protection on that drive by the Falcons OLine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Falcons are pretty good at this whole getting wide open deep thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Great start!

Poor coverage though!

Jesus that was easy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What a start. I said last week that this team could be anything after getting the playoff win monkey off their backs. Great start, Ryan was close to flawless on that quick drive.

• Advertisement

matthew8 wrote: »
    Falcons are pretty good at this whole getting wide open deep thing.
    Not a bad thing to be good at!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Wtf was the safety thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Blown assignmwnt on the 49ers D somewhere.

Great start for the Falcons

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭49ers fan

Blown D....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Say that to his face. :D

*Smiley inserted to avoid further confusion*

• Advertisement
Advertisement