Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playoffs 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Feel bad for webb, get thrown in last minute, but some of his throws........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So who is the Vikes third stringer? There is no question in my mind that Webb has to be benched. This isn't the regular season its the playoffs and you only get one game if you are bad.

I can't imagine the backup being any worse and if he is it'll be good for a laugh anyways. I just hate to see teams get a free win in the playoffs and thats what happening here and its got everything to do with Webb. The Vikes D was extremely tired at the end of the half there. Green Bay just cruised down the field for that second TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

In fairness to Webb, it's a very tough situation to come into.
    Game is over though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Zero pity here. Ponder has been hurt and was always a doubt for the game. Webb is the backup. Its his job to be ready to come in in a situation like this. He's being paid well enough to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Good man Joe got the pack just where we want them, all complacent and s**t. Just warming his arm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

It's not like he was plucked off the street. He's been working towards this day his entire life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Only reason I'm going to stay up watching the second half is to squeez some COD in!

eagle eye wrote: »
    So who is the Vikes third stringer? There is no question in my mind that Webb has to be benched. This isn't the regular season its the playoffs and you only get one game if you are bad.

I can't imagine the backup being any worse and if he is it'll be good for a laugh anyways. I just hate to see teams get a free win in the playoffs and thats what happening here and its got everything to do with Webb. The Vikes D was extremely tired at the end of the half there. Green Bay just cruised down the field for that second TD.

McLeod Bethel Thompson, a rookie from Sacremento State. He'll surely be able to hit a wide open target. Some of the Vikings receivers are being left wide open, Webb underthrows it every time. It's almost like he's trying to pass it too hard/fast.

kmart6 wrote: »
    Only reason I'm going to stay up watching the second half is to squeez some COD in!

Ah, the late night fish and chips!

Speaking if food, I liked the line about Webb sneaking up on a cheeseburger!

• Advertisement

Ah, the late night fish and chips!

Speaking if food, I liked the line about Webb sneaking up on a cheeseburger!
    Fresh off the boat!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Lads he's a QB that was drafted as a WR. A 6th rounder so he's not earning much at all. He hasn't thrown a pass all year. He has to get in sync with a terrible set of recievers. And he hasn't been given that many attempts at passing. Leave the heavy criticism out

I can't imagine the backup being any worse and if he is it'll be good for a laugh anyways.

Ha ha :D

Well if he is worse, he has no right calling himself a professional football player.

Actually the more I read up on it the more I think the Vikings QB situation is a farce. Webb seems to be the backup based on his athletic ability. Sage Rosenfels was the third stringer and the rookie beat him for the job. Rosenfels has a QB rating of 81, thats not bad at all !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Its easy to stack the box when you don't have to worry about a QB who can't get the ball down the field to a receiver.

It is in theory and yet we have failed miserably the previous 2 games we've tried!

This game is best thing to happen to ponder. Fans will love him now.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Lads he's a QB that was drafted as a WR. A 6th rounder so he's not earning much at all. He hasn't thrown a pass all year. He has to get in sync with a terrible set of recievers. And he hasn't been given that many attempts at passing. Leave the heavy criticism out

He's got a degree. He got a free ride through college. If he doesn't like it, pick a different career tbh.

• Advertisement

Hulk Hands wrote: »

Exactly, it's amazing how people judge, when they don't know the full story, he's a makeshift QB that shouldn't be playing in that position, it's a bad bad call on the Viks side.

6th rounder WR playing as a QB and thrown into a playoff game.......I have some pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

Rodgers getting all day is a bigger problem, the Vikings front is appalling. Peterson could run in a few yet, its not like its a huge lead.

davyjose wrote: »

Ha ha :D

Well if he is worse, he has no right calling himself a professional football player.

I'm sure fond memories of Curtis painter are flooding back now!

He's got a degree. He got a free ride through college. If he doesn't like it, pick a different career tbh.

WHAT?

Who mentioned anything about college, free degree? who stated he doesn't like it......He's in employment he's been asked to do a job by his employer albeit one that is playing him out of position and he's doing what he can.

Your last post has to be the most pointless post I've seen on this forum.

Just a little reminder of what Webb can do at QB, even if he can't throw the ball. I can't imagine being thrown into a playoff game without throwing a pass all year with terrible recievers is all that easy

• Advertisement

WHAT?

Who mentioned anything about college, free degree? who stated he doesn't like it......He's in employment he's been asked to do a job by his employer albeit one that is playing him out of position and he's doing what he can.

What's pointless is telling people to lay off a professional footballer because he doesn't get paid enough. And he's never going to ever read this thread.

If Webb feels hard done by tonight, then yeah, he can fcuk right off into the real world and see how that treats him.

You've heard of athletic scholarships, yeah?

Yikes...only 6 yards passing!!

cooker3 wrote: »
    I'm sure fond memories of Curtis painter are flooding back now!

Ha ha, hey he got us first pick in the draft. He's no Jim Sorgi though ;)

WHAT?

What are you on about, out of position? Was he unaware when he won the bloody backup QB position? Maybe he should have piped up then.

Nobody said its easy on the guy. QB in the NFL is about as brutally difficult as any career there is, but he's been preparing for this all season. And he sucks. Simple as. I'm not going to sugar coat it because poor little Joe Webb thought he'd be warming a bench tonight.

Damn Rodgers had me fooled there too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

He gave UAB a free ride. Players even in non-BSC chasing schools (and the politics between Alabama and UA at Brimingham is an entire story in itself, UAB should the #1 football program in the state by any objective measurement) are cash cows for their schools. They more than earn their way, if you think playing to a high enough level to get drafted in the NFL is a free ride you are living in lala land.

The reasons why this is a very hard situation for Webb are obvious, indeed it was the Vikings defence's inability to hold out at 10-3 before half-time that pushed them over the limit and they've continually failed to contain Rodgers in every game they've played him - to put such vitirol on a back-up QB's shoulders is ridiculous, to be honest.

What are you on about, out of position? Was he unaware when he won the bloody backup QB position? Maybe he should have piped up then.

Nobody said its easy on the guy. QB in the NFL is about as brutally difficult as any career there is, but he's been preparing for this all season. And he sucks. Simple as. I'm not going to sugar coat it because poor little Joe Webb thought he'd be warming a bench tonight.

I think you're missing the point.
    If I'm drafted in the 6th round as WR and I get put into QB position I'm not going to moan but it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do, as an employee you do what you're asked he's been asked to play QB and is doing what he can, it doesn't mean it's the right call by the VIKS management.

I don't understand what this has to do with college.....or a free degree, but anyway.

He's a WR playing as a makeshift QB but anyway....

ahahhaha, comical.

And that's a double dagger!

1 for Tuesdays with Aaron fans, which you all should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

The third stringer is Bethel-Thompson. In 3 years at Sacramento State he accounted for 9 total TDs and didn't start in any year. I don't imagine he's very good.

• Advertisement

Sigh. Ah well, It was a good year. I fancy the Packers to win it all from here, as much as I hate them

Lads, Webb was a QB at UAB his whole career. Only Childress had plans to transition him to WR but when he got him into camp they decided to keep him as a QB. He's a running QB who set multiple records for rushing at UAB.

Syferus wrote: »
    Lads, Webb was a QB at UAB his whole career. Only Childress had plans to transition him to WR but when he got him into camp they decided to keep him as a QB. He's a running QB who set multiple records for rushing at UAB.

I think the point is that people are berating him for not being able to pass, when that was never his game to begin with

I think you're missing the point.
    If I'm drafted in the 6th round as WR and I get put into QB position I'm not going to moan but it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do, as an employee you do what you're asked he's been asked to play QB and is doing what he can, it doesn't mean it's the right call by the VIKS management.

I don't understand what this has to do with college.....or a free degree, but anyway.

He's a WR playing as a makeshift QB but anyway....

He's not a makeshift QB. He's backup QB for an NFL team. That's a pretty big responsibility, and one he happily took on. I'm not going to lay off him because he used to be a wide receiver. He's playing the position as badly as I've ever seen. Am I not allowed say that? Should we pretend he's not that bad because he used to be a WR. I don't get what the problem with saying he's brutal is. You say it as though the Vikes have done him an injustice by giving him a job in the NFL.

That's what I meant by saying he could use his education to get a real job, if it sucks so bad for him. In reality he's got a fcuking savage life as a QB in the NFL. So deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Couple of nice throws on this drive.

He's not a makeshift QB. He's backup QB for an NFL team. That's a pretty big responsibility, and one he happily took on. I'm not going to lay off him because he used to be a wide receiver. He's playing the position as badly as I've ever seen. Am I not allowed say that? Should we pretend he's not that bad because he used to be a WR. I don't get what the problem with saying he's brutal is. You say it as though the Vikes have done him an injustice by giving him a job in the NFL.

That's what I meant by saying he could use his education to get a real job, if it sucks so bad for him. In reality he's got a fcuking savage life as a QB in the NFL. So deal with it.

Why does his success elicit such vitriol from you? It's almost as if he's personally harmed you by daring to play football. Success is not an excuse for attacking someone to the level you have just done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Matthews again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

nagirrac wrote: »
    Rodgers getting all day is a bigger problem, the Vikings front is appalling. Peterson could run in a few yet, its not like its a huge lead.
    The reason he is getting all day is because the Vikings offense can't stay on the field. The Defense gets tired when it has to play all game.

A huge part of this failing, indeed the biggest part, has to go to the Vikings coaching staff. They needed to tailor a package of plays to Webb's skill-set (options, zone reads, straight out runs) but even though he's been there two years now they haven't bothered themselves with the hassle of ensuring the offense could deal with the very real likelihood of their #1 QB going down injured. All they've did today is play Webb like a conventional QB with a few zone reads thrown in as little more than token plays. You only need to look at what Tebow did last year to see that style of offense can be very effective in patches, it's certainly not a case of the Vikings being desperate to get an elite receiving corps into the game because that group is honestly pretty freaking poor.

Fail to prepare and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

PACKRSM WHJOOOOOOOOOOO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

This game has been kinda dull though, a bit of a non event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Congrats to the Vikes on a great season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I did Rogers to get over 290 yards.

Think he had around 210 at half time

Gone from looking a cert to as dodgy as fook :(:mad::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

kryogen wrote: »
    This game has been kinda dull though, a bit of a non event

Been that way since half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

robbie1977 wrote: »
    I did Rogers to get over 290 yards.

Think he had around 210 at half time

Gone from looking a cert to as dodgy as fook :(:mad::(

Bloody on 268 now is he likely to stay on the pitch till the end or will they rest him near the end does anyone know ?

• Advertisement

So the two number 6 seeds look out of their depth but yeah expand the play-offs to 14 or 16. That's the way forward NFL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

So the two number 6 seeds look out of their depth but yeah expand the play-offs to 14 or 16. That's the way forward NFL.

This year, but recall two years ago when the #6 seed won the SB.

Pherekydes wrote: »

This year, but recall two years ago when the #6 seed won the SB.

Indeed but point is 12 is enough. Any more and it dilutes it and makes regular season that little less important.

Syferus wrote: »
    Why does his success elicit such vitriol from you? It's almost as if he's personally harmed you by daring to play football. Success is not an excuse for attacking someone to the level you have just done.

What vitriol? I said he's a terrible QB and I got challenged on that assertion. I actually do mfeel kinda bad for the guy, and the night he had. But he's still a terrible QB at this level.

The vitriol was aimed at the people calling my posts pointless.

And as for your last point, I know the athletic scholarship is very lucrative for the school, but it's still effectively a lottery win for students in America. Nobody dounts that Webb worked hard for it, but he's still a lucky man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

It's going to be like the NBA if they do that where the 8 seeds literally exist to get the big name 1 seeds out of the first round. The 6 seeds are at basically the fringe of competitiveness as is

• Advertisement
Advertisement