Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playoffs 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

TO. wrote: »
    You are clearly trying to pull something out of your arse. Stop being so sensitive.

Lets unbold part of what you put in bold and now look at what I said. You have never played sports HAVE YOU? I don't believe you have but I asked it as a question. Plenty of chances for you to say yes you have. But I never challenged your integrity. The second part you bolded never mentioned you. So show me again were I said I don't believe you have played sports because of value for integrity.

As for playing a semantic battle. Get a grip. You clearly just want to make every attempt and issue to draw out a problem that isn't there so you can then report me like you do and cry to mods.

It's not even the first time you've brough up this bather. I answered it seriously the first time but I'm far beyond justifying myself to you.

For anyone else that's interested: yes, I have played sports all my life, and at high enough level in gaelic football to have plenty of stories of mis-adventures and childish, classless acts by fully grown men.

For me my number one sporting hero is Dermot Earley, perhaps the greatest midfielder the West of Ireland has ever produced, nevermind being probably Roscommon's greatest ever player. He approached the game in his own unique way - he was absolutely mortified the single time he was sent off in his senior career - and always apologised to his marker if he fouled him. He didn't trash talk and was all the greater a leader because of it. He was the inspiration of the best Roscommon team in over 70 years. In his final game, a lost Connacht final against our biggest rivals, Mayo, he was carried off the field.

By the Mayo players.

Now if the question is have I ever jawed or shameless committed a cynical tackle, of course I have. I'm not Earley or any other number of genuinely classy sports-persons I could name. But it's in my mind when I'm playing that I want to beat my man, I don't want to job him. If I want to get rosy, it's the 'angel' of my better nature on my shoulder. I fully believe it makes me a better player on the field.

So yeah. Integrity has a place in any sport and the blasé approach to it by some on the field and some here is alarming. We can't fully stamp it out but we should rail against it at every given opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Its a problem in most sports, its ridiculous in soccer.

I dont think positive discrimination is the answer though.

Thats the thing though. You don't answer discrimination by discriminating on the regular white guy either. Equality means you hire the right guy, whoever that is. Not the less qualified minority for the sake of political correctness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Was Big Vern a tad bit annoyed there? Wasn't the most graceful way of asking the question. "Vernon, we'd kind of forgotten about you for a while...."

He was getting questions like that all week in San Fran. Talking about his route running and how flat he looked.

I guess it inspired him a bit. He played well today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Syferus wrote: »
    I I'm not Earley or any other number of genuinely classy sports-persons I could name.

I guarantee this man has had his moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

So guessing Ray Lewis will be pretty pumped up for this yea.

He was getting questions like that all week in San Fran. Talking about his route running and how flat he looked.

I guess it inspired him a bit. He played well today.

Have always rated Vernon Davis. Read an article about him in his Rookie year. The guy is physically a machine. Speed and strength that you would not believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Agreed with that but it's up to the QB to elevate guys. Eli hasn't had an elite TE in years but turned Boss, Ballard and now Bennett into very serviceable guys.

It's up to Matt Ryan to do that now.

Think Ryan has relied on the excellence of Gonzales though throughout his career. It's going to be tough for him if he doesn't have a TE who can't create that mismatch. Time will tell anyway.

davyjose wrote: »

Have always rated Vernon Davis. Read an article about him in his Rookie year. The guy is physically a machine. Speed and strength that you would not believe.

He has a sick workout too. He's definitely a machine!

Stev_o wrote: »
    Think Ryan has relied on the excellence of Gonzales though throughout his career. It's going to be tough for him if he doesn't have a TE who can't create that mismatch. Time will tell anyway.

He's had arguably the best receiving corp in the league this year. Certainly not a case of him elevating them. Quite the reverse I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Still can't believe the Pats won this game last year the way they did. Couldn't believe Evans dropped that and still can't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

I agree, he was an absolute animal when he came back from the falling out with Singletary. I rate him behind Gronk and not many others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Friend is at this game. The bastard...

The fact that 88's last ever play in his HOF career was getting open in the endzone, in the NFC Championship game, to go to the Super Bowl.... man, that's tough to take.

I agree, he was an absolute animal when he came back from the falling out with Singletary. I rate him behind Gronk and not many others

He's a savage blocker too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Moore knocking the ball loose still makes me smile.

Can't say i'm confident going into this. We should win but **** me ya never know.

Brady beating the 49ers to equal Montana would be a great story.

How's Ballard doing? How's his rehab?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Lets be havin ya ray Lewis.

Ok, I'm putting down the mouse/ipad for this. Ye fcukers are always distracting me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Dan Marino seems to have forgotten about Deion Branch and his Super Bowl rings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Relevant once again:
    honest-nfl-logos-14.jpg

Anyways, im off to see is there a pub in Galway still open and showing this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

This thread is going to be the American football forums equivalent of the united v Liverpool match I reckon... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What is all this love for Ray Lewis?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Dan Marino seems to have forgotten about Deion Branch and his Super Bowl rings

What did he say?

SK1979 wrote: »
    This thread is going to be the American football forums equivalent of the united v Liverpool match I reckon... ;)
    My friend is at the game....he heard some of the chants from the Pats fans... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Masked Man wrote: »
    What did he say?

Brady & Wilfork the only players on the roster with a SB win

• Advertisement

Predictions? I'm goin for the Pats by 7.

No Harbaugh Bowl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Syferus wrote: »
    It's not even the first time you've brough up this bather. I answered it seriously the first time but I'm far beyond justifying myself to you.

You keep banging that drum. You are wrong tonight and making this a personal issue.
    Life Story

No idea what relevence this part had

Or this.

Now if the question is have I ever jawed or shameless committed a cynical tackle, of course I have. I'm not Earley or any other number of genuinely classy sports-persons I could name. But it's in my mind when I'm playing that I want to beat my man, I don't want to job him. If I want to get rosy, it's the 'angel' of my better nature on my shoulder. I fully believe it makes me a better player on the field.

I thought you were not going to justify yourself. The fact you have said all this shows you have taken this way to seriously and way too personal.
    So yeah. Integrity has a place in any sport and the blasé approach to it by some on the field and some here is alarming. We can't fully stamp it out but we should rail against it at every given opportunity.

But we are talking about thrash talking. Hardly goes against the integrity of a sport. Nothing in life is perfect and how you deal with imperfection is the key. And in sports dusting off or ignoring things like smack talking is how is how you deal with the issue mentally. Sure certain things can go against the grain and the integrity of the sport that can bring down the whole sport should be dealt with but smack talking is not one of them thats needs action.

No Harbaugh Bowl

Head says Pats by 10. :(

No Harbaugh Bowl
    Pats by between 4 and 10. Whats the spread?

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Friend is at this game. The bastard...

I have future family at this game and a few friends and seeing their pics on FB and in texts is making me sick the wa*kers. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

What time does this game kick off? Thought it was 11.30

Say what you like about Lewis/Reed. Terrell Suggs is the key man today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

TO. wrote: »
    You keep banging that drum. You are wrong tonight and making this a personal issue.

I thought you were not going to justify yourself. The fact you have said all this shows you have taken this way to seriously and way too personal.

But we are talking about thrash talking. Hardly goes against the integrity of a sport. Nothing in life is perfect and how you deal with imperfection is the key. And in sports dusting off or ignoring things like smack talking is how is how you deal with the issue mentally. Sure certain things can go against the grain and the integrity of the sport that can bring down the whole sport should be dealt with but smack talking is not one of them thats needs action.

You shoud change your name to OT

Anyone wrote: »

Yea 11.30

the NFL is bit slack on keeping to kick off times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

I chuckled.

RT @sportspickle: No one will ever know where cameras are better than Ray Lewis.

You shoud change your name to OT

Why thank you good sir for the suggestion. I will take it on board and get back to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Anyone wrote: »

It does. NFL have their own timezone they never start a playoff game on time lol

I think it's on Flacco. Brady and co. will put up 30 points give or take. Can Flacco keep pace?

G'man ray! Milk milk!

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I think it's on Flacco. Brady and co. will put up 30 points give or take. Can Flacco keep pace?

Yeah, both guys are key. If Flacco plays like he has lately, it'll come down to pressuring Brady.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Im a big #52 fan, but I hope the Patriots win.

Love that offence! Brady, Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, Vereen, Woodhead, Ridley.

Can anyone get a hand on Brady?

Surly not a big running game again from pats.

Questions questions....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Kruger too.

No huddle straight away. I'll bet Brendon Ayanbadejo is pissed.

Will the Pats RBs manage to hold onto the ball. Will Rice get enough catches.

Always has something does bill.....

That's a very clever playcall. Burned a timeout nice and easy.

Welker dropped alot of passes last week n starting badly again this week.

Bill playing mind games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Welker in Super Bowl form

• Advertisement

Why not call that play in the 3rd qtr? Having timeouts in the first half isn't as big of a deal then having full timeouts in the second half.

Advertisement