Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playoffs 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I don't think the Pats are any more cocky or arrogant than any other organisation. I think their record over the Belichick-Brady-Kraft era has given some fans a greater level of expectation and confidence but that doesn't make them cocky. Yes, you would have expected the Pats to win today and just because Vegas gives them a 10 point won doesn't make them cocky. I think that's pretty bad form from Suggs and he probably means that more towards the media and Vergas than the Patriots.

Meh, Suggs is a trash talker. He ripped on us after the game last week too but it wasnt in bad humour, he does that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I don't think the Pats are any more cocky or arrogant than any other organisation. I think their record over the Belichick-Brady-Kraft era has given some fans a greater level of expectation and confidence but that doesn't make them cocky. Yes, you would have expected the Pats to win today and just because Vegas gives them a 10 point won doesn't make them cocky. I think that's pretty bad form from Suggs and he probably means that more towards the media and Vegas than the Patriots.

He'll regret that. There'll be some backtracking no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I don't think the Pats are any more cocky or arrogant than any other organisation. I think their record over the Belichick-Brady-Kraft era has given some fans a greater level of expectation and confidence but that doesn't make them cocky. Yes, you would have expected the Pats to win today and just because Vegas gives them a 10 point won doesn't make them cocky. I think that's pretty bad form from Suggs and he probably means that more towards the media and Vegas than the Patriots.

Tbh it's impossible to know unless you are on the field/interact with players. He might have just been referring to their fans/media but he could also have been saying it because the Pats might have talked a bit to often during the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

spiralism wrote: »
    best timing of a retirement ever.

I honestly think that really has been what has carried us through. Although we were 7 (I think) point favourites there were quite a few fans, analysts etc tipping the Colts to win that game up until Ray announced that would be his last home game. It gave everyone associated with the team a massive lift and the ''do it for Ray'' attitude has carried over.

Hopefully it continues for one more game! :)

Paully D wrote: »
    I honestly think that really has been what has carried us through. Although we were 7 (I think) point favourites there were quite a few fans, analysts etc tipping the Colts to win that game up until Ray announced that would be his last home game. It gave everyone associated with the team a massive lift and the ''do it for Ray'' attitude has carried over.

Hopefully it continues for one more game! :)

I thought we'd beat yous. Always a consolation to be beaten by the eventual champs.

• Advertisement

Meh, Suggs is a trash talker. He ripped on us after the game last week too but it wasnt in bad humour, he does that.

Went over and shook hands with the fans after the game too which I thought was a nice gesture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Agree with your post but lets face it a Pats and Ravens game always has the thrash talking after by someone. You come to expect it from either camp especially the Ravens. As I said earlier thrash talking is part and parcel these days.

Paully D wrote: »
    Went over and shook hands with the fans after the game too which I thought was a nice gesture.

Yeah i didn't think bad of him, heard he did that. We deserved to be ripped on imo and he did it in good humour. Glad our fans took it in stride, think he appreciated it.

Shannon Sharpe after ripping Belichick for declining the post game interview
    “Bill Belichick makes it real easy for you to root against the Patriots. You can’t be a poor sport all the time. You’re not gonna win all the time. And he does this every time he loses. It is unacceptable.”

Don't know how I'm going to sleep after that but I better try I suppose :pac:

Goodnight lads, what a day of football once again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Have to say I agreed with Sharpe while I was watching them in studio!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

BB does nothing wrong really in my view, he always goes to congratulate his opposing coach, he speaks to players, I personally dont give a **** that he treats the media with contempt.

They can paint him as a bad loser all they want, the people who matter matter, the media dont.

I see your point there, but it's the networks who pay huge money to the league and therefore the teams and part of that leads to agreements over interviews and availability!

This will just come across as petty to the football world!

kryogen wrote: »
    BB does nothing wrong really in my view, he always goes to congratulate his opposing coach, he speaks to players, I personally dont give a **** that he treats the media with contempt.

They can paint him as a bad loser all they want, the people who matter matter, the media dont.

It doesnt bother me too much. I've seen Fergie mercilessly insult press in similar situations, if you lost a huge game and had some know all little **** in your face prying with questions, youd be doing well to show just contempt. Not congratulating Coughlin in 08 was a bit of a dick move though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

It doesnt bother me too much. I've seen Fergie mercilessly insult press in similar situations, if you lost a huge game and had some know all little **** in your face prying with questions, youd be doing well to show just contempt. Not congratulating Coughlin in 08 was a bit of a dick move though.

Just because another successful coach acts the maggot it doesn't legitimise it. It's a childish way to operate and a stupid one at that, it's better to control your media persona than let others run away with it. John Harbaugh says as little in interviews as Bill but doesn't go about it in a contemptuous way.

Like it or lump it the media are the rest of the world's eyes and ears at games so treating them poorly affects a whole lot more than those coaches like to think. If coaches want to use it as a way of creating a siege mentality so be it but plenty of others do that without the added twist of classlessness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

Terrell Suggs quoted on twitter as having said about the Pats:

"Tell them to have fun at the pro bowl. Shut them out in the second half,arrogant ****ers"

"These are the most arrogant pricks in the world starting with Belichick on down."

Classless b******s for saying that, it just says more about his inferiority complex than anything else imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Total power failure in my area @ 9.30 so I fecking missed everything :(:mad::mad::mad:. Maybe it's just as well though, but I will have to check out the highlights tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Tough loss.
    I always hate to see the Offense misfire in big games like that.

Ravens are on a roll though.
    They've beaten the top 2 teams in the AFC, away from home, in playoff football.

I'm actually hoping they go on to win it now.
    I'm not a huge fan of the 49ers, and it'd be good to see Ray end in the best way possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

kmart6 wrote: »
    I see your point there, but it's the networks who pay huge money to the league and therefore the teams and part of that leads to agreements over interviews and availability!

This will just come across as petty to the football world!

And it will come across as petty to anyone with average intelligence,i would think.

Not a fan of Bellichick as a person, but he is a good coach.

9ers are a serious team,top RB, excellent TE, good receivers, confident QB,and more than adequate in the other disciplines.

Would have to be favs at this stage .

Interesting match-up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

As Kev Cadle would say 'wow wow wow'.

Watched the first half last night and the second this morning.

Incredible performance from Flacco and the Baltimore D came up big time. Both turnovers were forced by the D and not mistakes by the Pats, you gotta hand it to the Ravens for bringing game last night.

People might revert to type after the superbowl and say there was a lack of deep threat, but I think the wind put pay to that....flacco struggled with his deep ball all game. On the defense, Pats put in a performance of where there defense is at and has been all year. Its just that Brady couldnt get it done.

But OMG,flacco that dude is clutch, pay the man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Whatever about losing tight games or games where you felt you deserved to win, I can have no complaints about last night. We were rubbish, on both sides of the ball and the Ravens were far superior. Only special teams can hold their head high. The clock management at the end of the 1st half was a farce, and there was also the usual issues with suspect playcalling and individual errors. Congrats Ravens, fully deserved, but I have to shout for the 49ers now as I would love to see Randy Moss get a ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Went to sleep with 5 mins left in the 3rd, with Ravens 6 up.

The game was drawing to an obvious conclusion.

WD to the Ravens, creates an incredible storyline for the Superbowl, brother v brother.

Would like to see Ray get another Ring, for his amazing career. Suggs should STFU though. Classless.

This Superbowl will also be a chance for Flacco to prove that he deserves to be up there with the Elite QB's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Quick question maybe someone on here will know:

I put a tenner on San Fran to be top scoring team out of the two games @ 2/1. As both winning teams scored 28 points does that mean:

a) i won @ 2/1
    b) i won @ evens (two teams shared top so half the odds)
    or
    c) i lost my bet

I'll go in later this week to find out but curious as to how something like that would work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

davyjose wrote: »

He's had arguably the best receiving corp in the league this year. Certainly not a case of him elevating them. Quite the reverse I reckon.
    Ah come off it will ya, give credit where it's due. Ryan has had an outstanding year and has been consistantly brilliant.
    It will be difficult for the Falcons to back it up next season. A DE is a must in the draft and wouldn't it be a story to keep Gonzalez for another season.
    What a season for the Falcons. They've proven everybody wrong and that's what makes them a sensational team. They've had me on the edge of my seat so many times this season. I hope one day to see them in the flesh in the Georgia Dome.
    I wish it was September already. Take a bow Kaepernick, RG3, Ray Lewis, JJ Watt, Petersen, Weatherspoon, Dumervill et al. True legends of the sport.
    Roll on the superbowl and I hope the Ravens do it for Ray Lewis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Deco99 wrote: »
    Quick question maybe someone on here will know:

I put a tenner on San Fran to be top scoring team out of the two games @ 2/1. As both winning teams scored 28 points does that mean:

a) i won @ 2/1
    b) i won @ evens (two teams shared top so half the odds)
    or
    c) i lost my bet

I'll go in later this week to find out but curious as to how something like that would work

Should be half your stake to full odds, so €5 @ 2/1 = €15.

And it will come across as petty to anyone with average intelligence,i would think.

Not a fan of Bellichick as a person, but he is a good coach.

9ers are a serious team,top RB, excellent TE, good receivers, confident QB,and more than adequate in the other disciplines.

Would have to be favs at this stage .

Interesting match-up
    Oh cop on with your average intelligence rubbish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Should be half your stake to full odds, so €5 @ 2/1 = €15.
    Id say it's a push and he will get the stake back

Id say it's a push and he will get the stake back

Shirley has to be a winner on the market.
    Would be totally unfair if Ravens/49ers backers just got a push, whilst declaring NEPs/Falcons backers to be losers.

No reason why it shouldn't be treated as a deadheat and settled accordingly, like in any other sport

Quick question on last 4 seconds of Atlanta game.

If Matt Ryan wasn't capable of throwing the ball into the end zone, shouldn't they have brought on 2nd choice (or 22nd choice) QB?
    Basically whoever is capable of throwing the ball longest. Doesn't have to be a good QB as no subtlety or clever playcalling was needed, just the guy with the longest throw. Has to be a better option than what they did?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Whatever about losing tight games or games where you felt you deserved to win, I can have no complaints about last night. We were rubbish, on both sides of the ball and the Ravens were far superior. Only special teams can hold their head high. The clock management at the end of the 1st half was a farce, and there was also the usual issues with suspect playcalling and individual errors. Congrats Ravens, fully deserved, but I have to shout for the 49ers now as I would love to see Randy Moss get a ring.

I think the pats offense, did ok, but they came up against a serious baltimore D, a couple of drops, but nothing out of the ordinary. The two turnovers in the second half were big defensive plays. I dont think you could blame ridley or brady.

The pats defense couldnt stop flacco rolling, but neither could the denver D. Denver were in the top five of the leagues D during the regular season, Pats were in the bottom 10.....

Flacco has shown us all in the playoffs that he really is a cool head, he has a decent WR core and even though he abandoned the deep ball last night, he managed to find a way on short routes. Very impressive.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

I think the pats offense, did ok, but they came up against a serious baltimore D, a couple of drops, but nothing out of the ordinary. The two turnovers in the second half were big defensive plays. I dont think you could blame ridley or brady.

I hold Brady and Belichick both responsible for the ridiculous clock management at the end of the 1st half. The fact neither of them called a timeout is inexcusable. Going in 10 points ahead at half time would have been huge. And doing only "OK" is a serious under-performance by this offence. I was disappointed to not see Vereen used a bit more given his breakout performance the week before, and I don't think we utilised Danny Woodhead as much as we should have either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Tom Brady now has 5,949 yards passing in the post season, an NFL record. That's amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

So Flacco now needs to win this Superbowl to probably become one of the all time great playoff performers in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

Stev_o wrote: »
    So Flacco now needs to win this Superbowl to probably become one of the all time great playoff performers in the game.

Jaysus, settle down. He has a long, long way to go before that will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Congrats to the 49ers and the Ravens!!

On the 49ers, once the went 17 down I though they pretty much did a good job of controlling the game!! Offensively they have so many weapons they're really difficult to stop! Defensively they were taken apart at times, but there's no other team in the NFL IMO with two outside receivers and a TE like the falcons, coupled with an accurate QB! Ryan just throw the ball into space and let's White and Jones go and win it! If you can't get pressure on Ryan (and I thought the 49ers were too passive at the start) then they will put up tons of yards and points!

On the Ravens I have to say I was really shocked at how well they played on both sides of the ball!! Flacco was impressive and Bernard Pierce has been a revelation over the last couple of weeks (was he this good in the regular season?)!

As for the Falcons it's kind of hard to see where they need to improve! They were very close against a very good 49ers team!!

The Pats really surprised me though offensively! Was it me or did they go away from the hurry up? Plus most of the run plays seem to go up the middle! They didn't seem to want to stretch the game out as much as I thought they would! The play action-swing pass to Vereen worked a few times in the regular season for big gains and I thought it would have been used last night! Defensively I don't think the Pats did much wrong! The loss of Talib was huge (that can't be helped) and also they had a short field to defend against after the Ridley fumble (I did say the first fumble would decide it ;) )

Anyway looking forward to what will be an physical superbowl!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Quick question on last 4 seconds of Atlanta game.

If Matt Ryan wasn't capable of throwing the ball into the end zone, shouldn't they have brought on 2nd choice (or 22nd choice) QB?
    Basically whoever is capable of throwing the ball longest. Doesn't have to be a good QB as no subtlety or clever playcalling was needed, just the guy with the longest throw. Has to be a better option than what they did?

Their second or third choice wouldn't have been able to make it either though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If Ryan was established as not being able to make the hail mary (because of the injury) then they should have replaced him with a healthy thrower. The last play was pointless from Atlanta.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Stev_o wrote: »

He now has as many playoff wins as the Peyton.

Looks like the reason the Pats lost has been unearthed. Brady hates bird teams :pac:

http://i.imgur.com/A8Lh4wH.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

He now has as many playoff wins as the Peyton.

Only QB to win a playoff game in each of his first 5 seasons in the NFL. (and counting) That record will stay around for a long time IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

The pats defense couldnt stop flacco rolling, but neither could the denver D. Denver were in the top five of the leagues D during the regular season, Pats were in the bottom 10.....

Flacco has shown us all in the playoffs that he really is a cool head, he has a decent WR core and even though he abandoned the deep ball last night, he managed to find a way on short routes. Very impressive.....

I wonder if the breeze had anything to do with that?
    He tried one long ball in the 1st Q but overthrew by quite a bit, whether it was the wind or simply a misjudgement by Flacco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

What a season for the Falcons. They've proven everybody wrong and that's what makes them a sensational team. They've had me on the edge of my seat so many times this season. I hope one day to see them in the flesh in the Georgia Dome.

Not sure about the falcons proving everyone wrong. With New Orleans without Sean Payton, that was the biggest threat to them in the division, couple that with carolina and Cam Newton unable to progress on last year and NFC East wasn't exactly the most difficult division ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Boldin was the MVP of that game last night. He made some incredible catches. Once Talib was out of the game he took control. He was the difference between the two teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

The Ravens defo deserved to win last night, they played a great tight game.

If any Pats (or Falcons) fans are feeling down (I am anyway), think about this. Hopefully next season will mirror this one where the two losing teams in the Championsip games will make amends and make the Superbowl the following season. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

The Pats offense was ok in the first half but the definition of awful in the second half. The kept going three and out. They were terrible, imagine what it would have been like if Hernandez didn't have a good game. The defence was always under pressure because the offense kept going three and out in the second half.

I am glad Wes Welker wont be returning to the team. He doesn't deliver on the really big plays. Two massive catches in the past two years (Superbowl last year, and that third down that he dropped).

The Ravens were excellent and deserve full credit for the win. There defence was brilliant and the offense was nasty and ruthless. Would like to see Ray Lewis get another ring because he thoroughly deserves another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

unknown13 wrote: »
    The Pats offense was ok in the first half but the definition of awful in the second half. The kept going three and out. They were terrible, imagine what it would have been like if Hernandez didn't have a good game. The defence was always under pressure because the offense kept going three and out in the second half.

I am glad Wes Welker wont be returning to the team. He doesn't deliver on the really big plays. Two massive catches in the past two years (Superbowl last year, and that third down that he dropped).

The Ravens were excellent and deserve full credit for the win. There defence was brilliant and the offense was nasty and ruthless. Would like to see Ray Lewis get another ring because he thoroughly deserves another one.

TaTdV.gif

I am glad Wes Welker wont be returning to the team.

We'll take him off your hands, As would 30 other teams I'd say.

The Super Bowl drop was as much on Brady than him IMO. He would have been expected to catch it, but it was far from easy. People make drops. Welker is still one of the top 5 receivers in the game IMO, and the best route runner bar none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What about the eight catches for 117 yards including some crucial ones?

I really should just put up a laughing gif like Masked Man because thats really all a post with that in it deserves.

Well if you dont want him, i'm sure Peyton Manning does and he'd make you regret it. My mouth waters at even the mere thought of him in Orange and Blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

The only thing with Welker is how much money he demands. From a footballing pov I thing we can replicate his production with Hernandez, Edelman, Woodhead, and whoever else we bring in. It's obviously way better to keep Welker because: he's amazing and seems like he was born to play with Brady, his consistency is elite, and he's shown to be durable over the course of a season. He's a known quantity. If he wants a truck load of money I'll get over it and hope he ends up in a great system. On a personal level I'll be gutted.

Anybody that says they'll be glad to see the back of him is talking ****e. Using two targets out of the hundreds he's gotten over the course of his time here is pretty meh imo. Even if you think he chokes in big games (or whatever cliche you want to use), I'll take his consistent excellence which plays a big part in getting us to those big games.

The gif was kinda bad form btw, but it was just so appropriate for that line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Can the Patriots afford to keep Welker?

• Advertisement
Advertisement