Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung SCG C300 need to unlock

Options
  • 31-12-2012 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Okay - I know its an old phone, but I live in an area with little or no reception for mobiles, so simple is great for me for emergency use.

I haven't used the phone much and recently found out that the Tesco/O2 network seems to get a reasonable signal about 100ft from my front door, which believe me is good. In fact having borrowed a real cheapie from a friend who bought a mobile in Tesco for 15 euros (also a samsung) I can actually get a signal in my kitchen - Happy days - or so I thought.

Anyway, got a sim card from Tesco and popped it into my phone, not having used it for about two years and got locked out of the phone because it was the "wrong sim"

I then discovered that my own Samsung was locked into Vodafone so I phoned them and found them distinctly unhelpful. Apparently they have taken the number (fair enough, apparently by law they can/have? to do this). I told them that all I wanted to do was unlock the phone - their advice was to but another sim card (5 euros) build up somewhere in the region of 120 euros worth of credit - oh really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have now got the hump - my phone is like new and I am happy with it. So I then surfed the internet and found that I can unlock the phone, however, whatever way I seem to do it, it doesn't want to unlock, maybe its because the number on the sim isn't valid - not too sure. Some say take out the sim altogether and others don't and some want 30 dollars or more to unlock a phone.

Another way is to get someone with a current Vodafone phone to get all the details to do it for me using the number on the back of my battery. Tried everyone I know and all are on O2.

For me this is now a matter of principal - can anyone help????????????

I have bought a phone fom Tesco, but would really like my oldie but goodie up and running

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You can buy a new cheap unlock (sim free) phone for €20. Generally 2G, and plastic and so get good reception, are simply and the battery lasts for ages. So don't go crazy spending money on an old phone. Seems like theres loads of unlocks for this phone on the web and youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shannon321

Thanks BostonB - already got a cheap phone (15 euro) and can get reception in my kitchen - major novelty.

Its the principle more than anything else - I now have a perfectly good phone which I can't use - but hey ho, thats life.

Being not very techie with regards to mobiles, mainly because I have never been able to get a signal, I have always kept it simple.

I will carry on keeping it simple too - I don't like my life being controlled by a company such as Vodafone, very annoying.

Again many thanks BostonB

Sometimes the time and effort trying to save €20 isn't worth it. If you could spend that time doing something more useful, more financially rewarding. Its a mistake I have to stop myself doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shannon321

Totally agree BostonB - hence the new purchase, but.................;)

No seriously - old phone will be recycled :(

Happy New Year:)

Of course you could sell it to someone on Vodafone...

• Advertisement
Advertisement