Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory loss..The self inflicted type

Options
  • 31-12-2012 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Good Morning all..

This past couple of days..many of which have been filled with sitting up on the old high stool, I have woken up not realy remembering much of the night before?

Say for example if I was to have 6 pints..No problem, I awaken with full recolection of the night before with a lovely clear head :D

Then if I was to have 8 pints the memory would still be okayish..With my buddys only having to fill me in one one or two blanks the next day :)

But if we were heading to the city and the inevitable pre-drinking, 8 pints, couple of Jagerbombs, kebab routine was in full swing I would wake up in the morning with no memory whatsoever :(

Now Im not saying that I should be as chirpy as a cricket the next day but the fact that the guys that I go out with would usualy be able to tell a few stories angers me..Why cant I do that? Its as if I have alzheimer's for a few hours..:eek:

Anybody else here have a complete black out after a feed of drink??

Happy new year everyone..:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

They either have higher tolerance for alcohol or they just don't drink as much.
    As in, the amount they do drink won't affect them as much as the amount that you drink affects you.

Only time I'd completely blackout is when I'd tend to drink too much.
    Most times it's me telling the stories.

I suppose you just need to find a sweet spot between tolerance and "not dying".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I cannot remember a taxi journey home post 1998 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

They either have higher tolerance for alcohol or they just don't drink as much.
    As in, the amount they do drink won't affect them as much as the amount that you drink affects you.

Only time I'd completely blackout is when I'd tend to drink too much.
    Most times it's me telling the stories.

I suppose you just need to find a sweet spot between tolerance and "not dying".

I hear you Brutal Delux but I would reckon my tolerence levels are fairly good in comparisson to the rest of the lads..I must be drinking myself into a hopeless condition I suppose..:o Might take it a bit easier tonight and take a look at the outcome in the morning..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭dollypet

See you can talk all you want about pacing yourself- I think you need to power through. Just tear at it hell for leather. But wear specs with a small camera on them to record your night. Remember the music video for "Smack my Bitch up"? Along those lines I imagine

• Advertisement

DAZP93 wrote: »
    I hear you Brutal Delux but I would reckon my tolerence levels are fairly good in comparisson to the rest of the lads..I must be drinking myself into a hopeless condition I suppose..:o Might take it a bit easier tonight and take a look at the outcome in the morning..;)

I probably drink the most out of my friends on a night out in terms of pure volume.
    But they go shots and stuff that just won't agree with them.

Maybe whatever you're drinking just doesn't agree with you.
    If you go out, just stick to your pints or you spirit and mixer and see where you wind up.

I probably drink the most out of my friends on a night out in terms of pure volume.
    But they go shots and stuff that just won't agree with them.

Maybe whatever you're drinking just doesn't agree with you.
    If you go out, just stick to your pints or you spirit and mixer and see where you wind up.

Sounds like a logical plan..One or the other..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Lightweight?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Err, if I knew that drinking x amount of alcohol meant not remembering a thing from the night before, then I wouldn't drink x amount of alcohol.

It's really not that hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Say for example if I was to have 6 pints..No problem, I awaken with full recolection of the night before with a lovely clear head :D

Then if I was to have 8 pints the memory would still be okayish..With my buddys only having to fill me in one one or two blanks the next day :)

But if we were heading to the city and the inevitable pre-drinking, 8 pints, couple of Jagerbombs, kebab routine was in full swing I would wake up in the morning with no memory whatsoever :(

the worrying thing is that for so many people it's not a "great night out" unless they get to that 3rd stage

• Advertisement

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Lightweight?

Far from it..Quite a seasoned drinker, Head over for Oktoberfest every year if that makes any diff..;)

Far from it..Quite a seasoned drinker, Head over for Oktoberfest every year if that makes any diff..;)

Hmmm fair enough :D. But still 8 pints and a few shots isn't overly much drink tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Tolerance levels can change too.

I don't drink as often as I used to and I was found out a couple of times over the festive period. I've actually had to start skipping rounds and drinking water, following all that sensible advice that I used to laugh at.

I got lost in a pub a few weeks ago after an all day session and couldn't find the exit when I decided to leave "early".

I was also found sleeping in the jacks on 12 pubs. I'm putting it down to old age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Err, if I knew that drinking x amount of alcohol meant not remembering a thing from the night before, then I wouldn't drink x amount of alcohol.

It's really not that hard.
    ah but really though, it is...

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Hmmm fair enough :D. But still 8 pints and a few shots isn't overly much drink tbh.

Plus 6 Hackenberg before we go near any public house..:pac:

hardCopy wrote: »
    Tolerance levels can change too.

I don't drink as often as I used to and I was found out a couple of times over the festive period. I've actually had to start skipping rounds and drinking water, following all that sensible advice that I used to laugh at.

I got lost in a pub a few weeks ago after an all day session and couldn't find the exit when I decided to leave "early".

I was also found sleeping in the jacks on 12 pubs. I'm putting it down to old age.

I like your honesty..:)

Try 3 hackenberg and six pints.
    and a few shots but that might be too much

Ah that's not so bad so!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Yeah Tolerance seems to drop when you have had a break. I could drink more when I as 16 than I can now. I've only really ever gotten sick though, when Poitin is involved. This other time I had 6 Jeagerbombs and a Pint of Jeagerbomb, and a few pre drinks(which involved 4 bottles of Tyskie and some amount of JD), got barred from my local for a year. The worst time, I had 6 cans. And a little bit of weed. I killed a plant and knocked over a table with 15-20 peoples drink on it. I remembered all of it, all 50 minutes of puking and not being able to walk, talk, open my eye's or stand(either of the 4 would result in vomit). My mind was working perfectly, my body would not. I tried to hail a garda car to take me home

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Drinking is cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jkell061

Good Morning all..

This past couple of days..many of which have been filled with sitting up on the old high stool, I have woken up not realy remembering much of the night before?

Now Im not saying that I should be as chirpy as a cricket the next day but the fact that the guys that I go out with would usualy be able to tell a few stories angers me..Why cant I do that? Its as if I have alzheimer's for a few hours..:eek:

Anybody else here have a complete black out after a feed of drink??

Happy new year everyone..:D

I'm the exact same! And the thing about it is everybody says "you seemed fine I didn't think you were drunk at all."

sometimes even I find I may be grand after so many drinks, and if I stop there well and good, however if I continue drinking then my memory of what's going on when I was grand seems to be chewed up too!

Same here with friends filling in everything the next day. Hate having to ring them to find out.

Think I'm gonna change my drink and see does it have any different effect. I don't think it will. I heard if u take a few weeks off the booze then that does the job. I did 6 weeks on the dry and no difference. Is there any other methods?? I know you'll say "drink less" but I'm drinking what I've always being able to and from what everyone tells me I'm able to handle it, only my memory's been erased!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

If you're memory stops working, then clearly you are not "able to handle it". Your legs and mouth might be working fine but your brain has had enough after a certain amount.

I'm actually quite surprised at the amount people in the thread think is ok to drink on an average night out. I don't drink much myself but 8 pints plus pre-pub drinks plus shots sounds like a battering for your liver (and your memory apparently).

How terrible would it be to knock shots on the head and drink a couple of pints less? Worth a try for your head and your wallet I reckon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I find that if I drink more than say 8 pints and have a load of shots...or just have a load of shots, someone spikes my drink on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

BrianG23 wrote: »
    I tried to hail a garda car to take me home

hello gard, i didnt anticipate that the booze and weed combination would send my head spinning something shocking, I demand that you take me home at once!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Mikros

What your describing is an "en bloc" alcohol related blackout. You have consumed enough alcohol that long term memory creation is impaired. It is caused by a very rapid increase in blood alcohol concentration to a high level (for example a few rounds of shots in quick succession). If you drank the same amount over a longer period of time it wouldn't have the same effect.

Also some people might have a predisposition to blackouts - either from prenatal exposure to alcohol in the womb or through genetic factors.

You need to moderate both the amount and speed at which you are drinking. Repeated blackouts are strong indicator for serious alcohol abuse. They also give you terrible fear the next day. Best avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I'm amazed at peoples capacity to drink pints and pints, after like 4 I'm basically done . I try a few mixers then just so I dont get accused of being a dryballs. In the past few years you can also add a 50/50 chance of being sick after such a lightweight amount. I think my stomach would give out long before I could ever get to the memory loss stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

The vast majority of the time the lack of memory is because there was feck all worth remembering.
    You probably stood in a bar oogling, mumbling to yourself some incoherent gibberish, being handed the most expensive kebab post-pub meal and the only coherent thing you manage to say is your drunken slurred address to the taxi driver who fleeced you. (That is why you wake up with not a single cent).
    If there was a drama, you will tend to have at least one or two flashbacks.
    All things considered, it's time to ease off the booze.

imitation wrote: »
    I'm amazed at peoples capacity to drink pints and pints, after like 4 I'm basically done . I try a few mixers then just so I dont get accused of being a dryballs. In the past few years you can also add a 50/50 chance of being sick after such a lightweight amount. I think my stomach would give out long before I could ever get to the memory loss stage.

Four, really?? I guess everybody is different. My brothers friend who is a tank of a man is twisted after that much drink, so he normally stays at two pints a night to have a buzz. I think that is ridiculous though. I'm no lightweight but jees I'm not a serious good drinker but I could handle 6 pints easily even before I reached the legal age to drink...maybe it's the pints that do it for yeah? I notice I can hold a lot more drink when it's spirits rather than cans/bottles/pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

Mikros wrote: »
    What your describing is an "en bloc" alcohol related blackout. You have consumed enough alcohol that long term memory creation is impaired. It is caused by a very rapid increase in blood alcohol concentration to a high level (for example a few rounds of shots in quick succession). If you drank the same amount over a longer period of time it wouldn't have the same effect.

Its known as Anterograde Amnesia:

Basically that level of intoxication is blocking the brain's ability to transfer short-term memories created during the period of intoxication to long-term memory for storage and later retrieval.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anterograde_amnesia#Alcohol_intoxication

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

miamee wrote: »
    How terrible would it be to knock shots on the head and drink a couple of pints less? )

Knocking shots on the head is what he's already doing ;)

Advertisement