Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory loss..The self inflicted type

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Mikros wrote: »
    What your describing is an "en bloc" alcohol related blackout. You have consumed enough alcohol that long term memory creation is impaired. It is caused by a very rapid increase in blood alcohol concentration to a high level (for example a few rounds of shots in quick succession). If you drank the same amount over a longer period of time it wouldn't have the same effect.

Also some people might have a predisposition to blackouts - either from prenatal exposure to alcohol in the womb or through genetic factors.

You need to moderate both the amount and speed at which you are drinking. Repeated blackouts are strong indicator for serious alcohol abuse. They also give you terrible fear the next day. Best avoided.
    anhedonia wrote: »
    Its known as Anterograde Amnesia:

Basically that level of intoxication is blocking the brain's ability to transfer short-term memories created during the period of intoxication to long-term memory for storage and later retrieval.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anterograde_amnesia#Alcohol_intoxication

I always thought it was alcoholism myself

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

This is just depressing. People are talking about alcohol tolerance as though it's a vital life skill. There is some amount of dick measuring in this thread over ability to drink, and that is just so sad.

"I drink over a gallon of alcohol and have trouble remembering things and feel like microwaved dog shít for two days. I wonder what my problem is... Hmm... Oh well, off to complain about taxes and household charges as the real reason I'm financially suffering."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Four, really?? I guess everybody is different. My brothers friend who is a tank of a man is twisted after that much drink, so he normally stays at two pints a night to have a buzz. I think that is ridiculous though. I'm no lightweight but jees I'm not a serious good drinker but I could handle 6 pints easily even before I reached the legal age to drink...maybe it's the pints that do it for yeah? I notice I can hold a lot more drink when it's spirits rather than cans/bottles/pints.

I think wheat intolerance runs in family, so that does it for beer/stout, meanwhile cider is such sugary junk I feel ill once I hit that level. I don't go drinking every weekend though, so I don't think its all that shocking. There is one or two other lads like me too, we just give each other the knowing nod on a night out.

Advertisement