Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A number of serious question about ammunition...

• 31-12-2012 11:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭

in the RoI. No flaming, please, I'm trying very hard to understand a few things I've read here over the years, and need your help in order to do so.

1. How do you dispose of fired cases, since they are still counted as live rounds? I need to know who authorises their destruction or salvage on a range, and how anybody who picks one up afterwards, if it is a calibre that they themselves do not shoot, can legally retain it - or not.

2. After a session on the range, and you have fired - let's say - your entire entitlement of 100 rounds of ammunition, how do you prove to the dealer that you are entitled to buy more, since you are still in possession of the fired, but now empty cases, that are still counted as ammunition?

3. IF the empties are put into a brass recovery container, who has 'ownership' of the various caibres of brass cases that are still 'live rounds' in your law? Is the legal body of the range organsiation itself somehow authorised to hold any and all calibres of fired cases and arrange for their disposal, bearing in mind that they are still, in Irish law, live rounds?

4. As airgun pellets are also classed as live ammunition, how do you dispose of these 'live rounds' when they have been fired into a pellet catcher? Whose judgement is it that they are no longer a 'live round of ammunition'? IOW, if I [for whatever reason] had a pocketful of fired pellets that I wanted [let's just say] to melt down to make a ledger fishing weight or similar, and got stopped by the AGS, would I be charged with having illegal possession of fired ammuntion?

Your helpful information would be much appreciated.

TIA

tac

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

tac foley wrote: »
    1. How do you dispose of fired cases, since they are still counted as live rounds? I need to know who authorises their destruction or salvage on a range, and how anybody who picks one up afterwards, if it is a calibre that they themselves do not shoot, can legally retain it - or not.
    Most ranges have collection bins where people can dispose of their fired brass when finished.

For out in the field, and i can only talk for myself, and some people i shoot with, but i collect any fired brass, and bring it home with me. I then either dispose of it in the range when next i'm over or in the case of some of the lads with no membership to a range they either give it to me or find a local scrap dealer than is authorised to take brass.
    2. After a session on the range, and you have fired - let's say - your entire entitlement of 100 rounds of ammunition, how do you prove to the dealer that you are entitled to buy more, since you are still in possession of the fired, but now empty cases, that are still counted as ammunition?
    Under the new range SI signed in December 2011 each range must keep a log of fired shots. This applies to all ranges, and alldisciplines. So when i fire 100 rounds and go to leave the range i must sign the log to say i have fired 100 rounds of X caliber, and the distance(s) i shot them at.

When i go to the dealer it is not his legal responsibility to check what i have left in either fired or live rounds. Only that he does not sell me more than the allocated amount on my license. It is my responsibility to make sure that between live, and fired rounds i do not exceed the amount on my license.
    3. IF the empties are put into a brass recovery container, who has 'ownership' of the various caibres of brass cases that are still 'live rounds' in your law? Is the legal body of the range organsiation itself somehow authorised to hold any and all calibres of fired cases and arrange for their disposal, bearing in mind that they are still, in Irish law, live rounds?
    Under the range SI the range is authorised to hold, and collect all calibers of brass for the purpose of disposal. With a lot of ranges having RFDs either in their ranks or as owners of the range this would also cover them.
    4. As airgun pellets are also classed as live ammunition, how do you dispose of these 'live rounds' when they have been fired into a pellet catcher? Whose judgement is it that they are no longer a 'live round of ammunition'? IOW, if I [for whatever reason] had a pocketful of fired pellets that I wanted [let's just say] to melt down to make a ledger fishing weight or similar, and got stopped by the AGS, would I be charged with having illegal possession of fired ammuntion?
    Technically, and legally yes you would be if the Garda so decided. As all ammunition classed as live whether fired or ready to be fired then there really is no distinction and therefore the same rule applies to the ammo irrespective of it's "fired status".
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Thank you for that informative reply. Much appreciated.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

Cass wrote: »

Under the new range SI signed in December 2011 each range must keep a log of fired shots. This applies to all ranges, and alldisciplines. So when i fire 100 rounds and go to leave the range i must sign the log to say i have fired 100 rounds of X caliber, and the distance(s) i shot them at.

That seems very onerous, and I've been in number of reputable clubs where it isn't being implemented.

C & V?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Steve.N

Hi Cass,

Just out of curiousity where does it state in the S.I no.622 of 2011 where a club must record the number of shots fired?
    Have I the most to date S.I or have I just missed it??

Cheers
    Steve.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Mr.Flibble wrote: »
    That seems very onerous, and I've been in number of reputable clubs where it isn't being implemented.

C & V?
    Seems overly excessive to me too. However it is being implemented at my range under the guise of SI 622/2011.
    Steve.N wrote: »
    Hi Cass,

Just out of curiousity where does it state in the S.I no.622 of 2011 where a club must record the number of shots fired?
    No idea.
    Have I the most to date S.I or have I just missed it??

Cheers
    Steve.
    No idea on both.

I assumed, as it was told to me to be such, that every range was implementing it. However as i am not a member of any other range i was unaware it was not being implemented elsewhere.

If i am mistaken then i apologise. Next time i will verify before repeating what i have been told.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
Advertisement