Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any builders/block layers for a bit of advise pls :)

Options
  • 31-12-2012 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all just looking for some advise or recommendations to getting a wall built, got a few ppl out for quotes over the last few months but they were looking at €1k + for the work ! Can get my hands on the materials (kinda fairly cheep) so tis just labourer work. the length of the wall needed is about 60FT ! Any one with quotes or rough price pls & tanks ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Is the wall 1 foot high or 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Does it need a foundation or is there one there already?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Marymoll

think it would need to be 6ft high ! , no theres no foundations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

1k sounds cheap already....
    Mini digger hire, skips for soil, conc for founds, blocks, sand, cement, capping for wall and piers, rendering to wall, make good to ground/ landscaping.....
    And someone wants to be paid for their time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Sounds reasonable to me. Is it being built on top of an existing wall given that it dosen't need foundations - also as a previous poster said have they included for copings, plaster and piers - if it's 60ft long it will need piers. Also I'm assuming that it's not a cash job and the €1k included VAT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

As everybody already said 1k plus for a wall that big is for nothing, I guess the quotes you got was from block layers out of work just quoting hoping to get the job done, or maybe that was just labour?

I would be questioning someone doing that cheap!:eek:

You could ring roadstone for the price of the blocks, Your looking at 4 inch solids for a wall, I think they come in bails of 45 for between 40 and 50 euro you could need between 7 and 10 bails for a wall that big, maybe more, then theres the sand and cement a tonne of sand is about 60 euro delivered dependin on where your going, the foundation is gonna cost another bit on top of that, I think if you ring the people up that gave you quotes ask for a breakdown of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

whats the going rate for a block laid now a days

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Marymoll

Thanks for all the feedback people :)

Advertisement