Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD capacity - not as advertised

Options
  • 31-12-2012 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hello all,
    I just purchased a Samsung NP535U3C-A01UK notebook. It was advertised as having a 500gb hard drive in store, on the Samsung website and on the product box itself. However when I view the C drive it says free space is 410 out of 443gb. I know some space is taken up by pre-installed software or whatever but it appears that the max is 443gb and not 500.
    Should I be returning to the shop or is there an explanation?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

500 gigabytes = 465 gibibytes, see here for the difference between gigabytes and gibibytes. Windows Reports gibibytes not gigabytes, you appear to have a hidden partition containing oem software of 22 gibibytes...... large but not unheard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    500 gigabytes = 465 gibibytes, see here for the difference between gigabytes and gibibytes. Windows Reports gibibytes not gigabytes, you appear to have a hidden partition containing oem software of 22 gibibytes...... large but not unheard of.

What's a gibibyte?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

justryan wrote: »
    What's a gibibyte?

A gibibyte is exactly 500/465 gigabytes (seemingly :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Simply, it is the difference between binary and decimal in any drive, you will always lose 7%. Hard drive manufacturers choose to use a smaller definition of gigabyte, where "giga" is equivalent to "1 billion", as opposed to "1.073 billion".

Take 500 million bytes, by their definition of mega it's 500 MB, but this really turns out to be 476MB if you use the real definition of mega (1024 X 1024 = 1,048,576 bytes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

A gibibyte or GiB is a binary gigabyte, a gigabyte or GB is a decimal gigabyte, Windows reports GiB the binary gigabyte so hard drive appear to be smaller

To convert from GiB to GB, multiply by 1,073,741,824 then divide by 1,000,000,000

To convert from GB to GiB, divide by 1.073741824.

.......I'm to geeky for my own good :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭socio

Thanks for your help guys. I had a look in disk management and as jobyrne said it seems to be a hidden partition for recovery. Frustrating to lose the space but need these recovery files I suppose.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭T-Bird

socio wrote: »
    Thanks for your help guys. I had a look in disk management and as jobyrne said it seems to be a hidden partition for recovery. Frustrating to lose the space but need these recovery files I suppose.

Thanks all.

They will come in handy one day....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

justryan wrote: »
    What's a gibibyte?

You can't follow a link?

Advertisement