Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mullagmore Tow in 30 Dec 1012

Options
  • 31-12-2012 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

Hey was down watching some of this yesterday, if anyone ever wants to check out something like this it's a very accessible spot, you can literally pull over and look out the window and see things easily without binoculars or anything. Only a 20 min drive from sligo town.

waves looked to be in the 25ft range when i was there. must have been nearly 100 people watching

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Swell was monstrous yesterday, didn't get out myself unfortunately. Would have been great to see that, hopefully they'll have a video up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Swell was monstrous yesterday, didn't get out myself unfortunately. Would have been great to see that, hopefully they'll have a video up soon.

not sure there was a lot going on with that side of things, few big zoom lenses on the shore cameras but the guy i know who normally does the shots down the channel in the boat wasn't out.

there were problems with the camera boat when it was enormous too, they didn't get any decent footage then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

The guy with the boat didn't think there'd be any decent waves I think. We called him to see if he was going out as we were going to go along with him for a goo.

There are some pics and footage on Bundoran Surf Co.s facebook page.

Saw a couple of wipe outs ..... did someone lose a board out there?

fair enough, people were saying it cleaned up a lot more than expected so prob caught some people off guard.
    i was meant to get out in one of those boats but didn't work out, the guy was saying being in the channel just watching is somehing else.
    i stayed for maybe 10 waves didn't see any wipeouts though, wouldn't fancy it there, it looks blood shallow on that reef!!!!!!
    thanks i'll check that out on FB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

zoobizoo wrote: »
    The guy with the boat didn't think there'd be any decent waves I think. We called him to see if he was going out as we were going to go along with him for a goo.

There are some pics and footage on Bundoran Surf Co.s facebook page.

Saw a couple of wipe outs ..... did someone lose a board out there?

Cotton lost a board, fell out of the pickup when they were leaving! Not sure if he got it back or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 agreenyblue

Last year they had a webpage with a set of traffic lights that showed when there was a decent chance of the big wave competition going ahead. (Red was no-go, amber meant decent chance...) Couldn't find the page this year, anyone know of a place with regular updates? Is it safe to assume there will be surfers out at any daylight hour where it´s 20ft+ and clean?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

Cotty got his board I think! The web page is still there, just need to keep an eye out for big swells. It's usually the wind that causes issues. Fingers crossed for one day in the next 2 months where the swell & wind work together! If there's a chance of Mully breaking, the guys will be on the cliffs accessing before they go near the water. Like the other day, you get days of waiting around for the wind to swing or die down...the comp will only run if the prediction is for a full good day.

Link to that web-page please.

http://www.irishsurfrescueclub.eu/ or check their facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Monday looks epic, huge swell and little or no wind

• Advertisement

its been pulled. will still be people surfing it monday though

promethius wrote: »
    its been pulled. will still be people surfing it monday though

Didn't say the comp was on, only that the forecast was epic, prowlers would be one to watch along with other waves off mulli head;)

Could be massive and offshore on sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

rodento wrote: »
    Could be massive and offshore on sunday

Just had a quick look on msw there. Good grief, there's colours on the chart I've never seen before :eek:

What is the cut-off point with the wind for this? South easterlies ideal, so is the strong south-westerly wind not going to spoil it? Strong cross off looks great but its tough to surf. Maybe not so bad with the jet-skis?

Offshore in south westerly winds best at high tide

It's not on again, too windy. Really needs to be straight offshore or it's very dangerous out there...dangerous enough!! Best at low tide in mully...at high tide the shallow reefs that you can see from the cliff at low get hidden & it's a death trap...never seen the boys surf at high tide there.

Advertisement