Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Illegal immigration

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

MOD NOTE:

I've just deleted a bunch of squabbling, off-topic posts that were veering on personal abuse. Less of the ad hominem attacks and sniping, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭fianna saor

Nodin wrote: »
    So you're quoting material you don't understand from a far right website?

i didnt say i didnt understand it, i merely stated i didnt compose it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

i didnt say i didnt understand it, i merely stated i didnt compose it

Then could you please answer the questions I put to you in relation to the quoted section?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 407 ✭✭Noel Kinsella

Egalitarianism.

Egalitarianism spoken like a true "business man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Egalitarianism.

Do it on your own euro then, not mine.

Anyway, there are 30,000 illegals in Ireland, according to the immigration council of Ireland.

mikemac1 wrote: »

To work out the number of illegals versus legal, well 83,000 visas issued in 2011 and 4,000 removed.

But we will never know many illegals are here, the real figure will be higher

I'm waiting for WileyCoyote to come back and demand even more stats :pac:

Heres some more.

-Of the approximately visa 88,000 applications received, 91 per cent were approved.

The top five nationalities that applied for visas were as follows:
    India (16 per cent)
    Russia (14 per cent)
    China (11 per cent)
    Nigeria (eight per cent)
    Turkey (five per cent)

Where are these people getting jobs?

- Over 25,000 applications for citizenship were decided on in 2012
    There were 38 citizenship ceremonies held in 2012.

- There are approximately 31,400 non-EEA students currently registered for study in Ireland. Of these, 38 per cent are in degree courses, 26 per cent in non-degree courses, 28 per cent in language courses and nine per cent in other study, which includes secondary level education.

The 'English language school' racket used by non EU students to circumvent immigration law continues unabated.

- Deportations totaled almost 2,700 in 2011, of which 2,260 were refusals at various ports of entry.

How can one be deported from a country they have yet to enter - there were 440 actual deportations in 2012.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/PR13000002

The question remains how big is the problem, what is the cost and more importantly is it worth spending even more money to solve a problem that in reality is reducing as can be seen from the number of Asylum applications.

Asylum costs us an arm and a leg and most(90%) are deemed bogus.

The Irish government are spending over a hundred million dollars annually on asylum seekers – including thousands of dollars on diapers for their children.

A new report states that the $100 million cost of processing their applications includes a payment for diapers.

They are listed as a miscellaneous cost of housing the 5,000-plus people looking for shelter in Ireland according to the Irish Sun newspaper.

That does not include the tens of millions YOU lawyers receive for helping these people to evade deportation and to exhaust the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

IrishAm wrote: »

The Irish government are spending over a hundred million dollars annually on asylum seekers – including thousands of dollars on diapers for their children.

That does not include the tens of millions YOU lawyers receive for helping these people to evade deportation and to exhaust the process.

Are you using dollars instead of Euro to purposly inflate the cost? Cheap trick.
    And as for the cost of nappies what the hell has that got to do with anything?
    Whats with the "YOU lawyers" jibe? Layers do not and cannot behave illegally on behalf of a client, their clients are fully entitled to due process and to fully exhaust that process if they believe they have a case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭buzz_E

The current top 6 registered nationalities which account for over 50% of
    all persons registered are India (11%), Brazil (10%), Nigeria (9%), China
    (8%), USA (8%) and Philippines (7%).

The most recent census shows that overall Ireland’s non-national population
    accounts for 12% of the national population or some 544,000 people. The
    breakdown of non-nationals in the State according to Census 2011 shows that the majority are from EU countries.

Visas
    Provisional figures indicate that approximately 88,000 entry visa
    applications were received in 2012, an increase of 6% on 2011. The approval
    rate for entry visa applications was 91%. The top 5 nationalities applying
    for visas in 2012 were India (16%), Russia (14%), China (11%), Nigeria (8%)
    and Turkey (5%).

Naturalisation/citizenship
    The major reforms introduced by the Minister to the processing of
    citizenship applications aimed at tackling the backlog of applications have
    resulted in a significant increase in the number of cases decided. Over
    25,000 applications were decided in 2012 compared to 16,000 in 2011 and
    fewer than 8,000 in 2010.
    http://www.merrionstreet.ie/index.php/2013/01/immigration-in-ireland-2012-in-review/

• Advertisement

Do it on your own euro then, not mine.

Anyway, there are 30,000 illegals in Ireland, according to the immigration council of Ireland.

Im afraid you need to take that up with your local T.D. as it is official Government policy, hence the Department of Justice and Equality.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Whats with the "YOU lawyers" jibe? Layers do not and cannot behave illegally on behalf of a client, their clients are fully entitled to due process and to fully exhaust that process if they believe they have a case.

Pamela Izevbekhai knew how to exhaust the process alright.
    Herself and her four sets of lawyers.
    Exhaust was the perfect word

And now I'll be quoted and told at least one law film did the case pro bono. But of course as it's high profile and gets their name out there.

It still costs the State money to hold these cases and to hire a barrister to represent them.

Due process is a hearing and an appeal
    Not what happened here

Not the typical case I'll be told.
    It's the one case of thousands that the media picked up on so that's why it's well known.
    That and Residents against Racism pushing it to the media too. Though Pamela's supporters were fair weather friends, they didn't stay until the end.

Only acting on clients instructions?
    Both sides need representation and the more cases the more €€€

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Are you using dollars instead of Euro to purposly inflate the cost? Cheap trick.

http://www.irishcentral.com

Maybe the poster was using an American website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Heres some more.

-Of the approximately visa 88,000 applications received, 91 per cent were approved.

India (16 per cent)
    Russia (14 per cent)
    China (11 per cent)
    Nigeria (eight per cent)
    Turkey (five per cent)

- Over 25,000 applications for citizenship were decided on in 2012
    There were 38 citizenship ceremonies held in 2012.

- There are approximately 31,400 non-EEA students currently registered for study in Ireland. Of these, 38 per cent are in degree courses, 26 per cent in non-degree courses, 28 per cent in language courses and nine per cent in other study, which includes secondary level education.

The 'English language school' racket used by non EU students to circumvent immigration law continues unabated.

- Deportations totaled almost 2,700 in 2011, of which 2,260 were refusals at various ports of entry.

How can one be deported from a country they have yet to enter - there were 440 actual deportations in 2012.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/PR13000002

You do know what a visa is don't you, the vast majority of the above visas are guess what Holiday visas, you know when a person like goes to another country for a short break. There are also join spousal visas that's guess what visas for a person to join their husband or wife. There are a vast number of countries that are not visa required and their citizens can enter for 90 days with out a problem for all other countries you need a visa.

In relation to the students, 38% are doing degree courses paying full economic fees many doing medicine paying upto €20,000 a year. While I accept there are problems in that system those problems are being tackled. It is worth remembering that stamp 2 student gives no ongoing rights.

The Citizenship applications are from people who reside here legally for 3 years in the case of spouses of Irish citizens and refugees (considering our low level of acceptance to be declared a refugee is some achieve,enter) and 5 years for other legal residents, who must be in employment and not a drain on the state.

You do know what a visa is don't you, the vast majority of the above visas are guess what Holiday visas, you know when a person like goes to another country for a short break. There are also join spousal visas that's guess what visas for a person to join their husband or wife. There are a vast number of countries that are not visa required and their citizens can enter for 90 days with out a problem for all other countries you need a visa.

We waived visa restrictions for the top five due to the Olympics in London.

Y......state.

How much do you earn as an immigration lawyer?

I sit here looking at a six figure tax bill..

I am glad you lot are doing well out of me.:mad:

• Advertisement

The Asylum issue is fast disappearing, with a number of years of over 10,000 applications per year, its now down to 950 applications for 2012 and still dropping. To be honest the message got out Ireland is a tough place to get Asylum. Also the introduction of checking all applications has led to detection of Asylum fraud. There was even one month last year that saw only 2 applications, within the next 5 years as a issue it should be gone.

For a lawyer to receive any money in the asylum process there are only 2 ways, the first is in the actual application process for asylum, legal aid is given to the Applicant. When there was too many applications for the legal aid board they used outside lawyers to act, the money was low enough with a total of about 400 euro to write the appeal and appear before the tribunal depending on where travelling from there was upto another 200 for travel costs. Due to the low applications now all cases are handled in house in the legal aid board.

The second way to make money was to take a JR if there was a problem with the decision, a lawyer only gets paid for that if the case wins. We all hear about the case that was lies we don't hear of the huge amount of cases where the Applicant wins because a flawed decision was made.the reason millions are paid in costs is the State makes seriously wrong decisions.

How much do you earn as an immigration lawyer?

I sit here looking at a six figure tax bill..

I am glad you lot are doing well out of me.:mad:

I have not earned any money in the last 3 years through the Refugee Legal Aid, as there are very few applications. Last year I ran 1 JR which was successful.

I'm not doing well out of you, I take cases where a serious injustice has been done. If a person is being deported illegally why should they not have the right to legal representation.

BTW well done on the six figure tax bill good to see some people in this country doing well, BTW I pay tax as well. As I'm open about what I do for a living what to you do that produces a six figure tax bill.

The Asylum issue is fast disappearing, with a number of years of over 10,000 applications per year, its now down to 950 applications for 2012 and still dropping.

It only took us fifteen years, a recession and 100,000 bogus applicants to release we were being rodgered.

Result, eh?

It only took us fifteen years, a recession and 100,000 bogus applicants to release we were being rodgered.

Result, eh?

If the department of Justice had listened to the many interest groups who wanted a fast, efficient system years ago the problem would have been stopped in its tracks.

I have advocated a system that would have had all decisions and appeals and if necessary deportation within 12 months. As we stand there are people here since 2000 and 2002 who are still in the system or have had a deportation order over them for a number of years it's mental all anyone wants is a fair system that deports an illegal quickly and fairly, and allows genuine Asylum seekers to remain.

If the department of Justice had listened to the many interest groups who wanted a fast, efficient system years ago the problem would have been stopped in its tracks.

I have advocated a system that would have had all decisions and appeals and if necessary deportation within 12 months. As we stand there are people here since 2000 and 2002 who are still in the system or have had a deportation order over them for a number of years it's mental all anyone wants is a fair system that deports an illegal quickly and fairly, and allows genuine Asylum seekers to remain.

How much did you make from representing the bogus asylum seekers?

• Advertisement

What is your job? What is your income?

BTW my clients from the legal Aid board I had no choice who to take. In relation to JR the fact that the vast majority of the cases I was involved in either settled or we won at hearing shows that the person I represented were not bogus.

So I take grave offence at the implication that as a professional I would knowingly act to perpetrate a fraud.

If you want to debate the issue fine if you want to make it personal that is not cool.

BTW did you pay VAT and excise duty on your Best Buy lap top, just asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Please stop with the personal questions, the poster does not have to reply with such detailed information.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

What is your job? What is your income?

BTW my clients from the legal Aid board I had no choice who to take. In relation to JR the fact that the vast majority of the cases I was involved in either settled or we won at hearing shows that the person I represented were not bogus.

So I take grave offence at the implication that as a professional I would knowingly act to perpetrate a fraud.

If you want to debate the issue fine if you want to make it personal that is not cool.

BTW did you pay VAT and excise duty on your Best Buy lap top, just asking.

Catering and hospitality.

And yeah, I declare everything.

Its why my tax bill is so high.

Catering and hospitality.

And yeah, I declare everything.

Its why my tax bill is so high.

I notice you did not answer the income question, as I won't. BTW well done for a 20 something to be earning enough to pay at least 100k a year in tax feeding the hungry, ever feel guilty that you are making money from people's hunger. Just asking that all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Can we get back to discussing the topic please, off topic posts deleted.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

bmaxi wrote: »
    Indeed. Probably best then, not to jump to conclusions about the status of non-EU immigrants, lots of my daughter-in-law's colleagues and friends are in the same circumstances

Indeed, there is a relatively common perception that most non EU/EEA workers are illegal, when in fact that is not the case.
    Thats not to say there in no illegal workers, of course there are but it is not the problem many would have us believe, mainly because they mistake asylum seekers and refugees with illegal workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Indeed bmaxi,I'd be reluctant to use "for most" in assessing the severity of the II's situations.

this is simply due to the physical location of the island of Ireland itself.

If this were the Turkish/Syrian border or indeed any of the African continents land frontiers then my Compassionometer would be calibrated accordingly.

However,most,if not all,of our contentious arrivals,tend to have quite an immigration related rap-sheet throughout the EU.

The INIB reports and assorted media reportage (Fully accept these are NOT acceptable to some posters) tend to point to a large-scale and lucrative business in facilitating mass attempts to secure entry into Ireland.

Ms Izevbekhai's eventually well reported criminality,was not a solo-run by a poor oppressed African woman,instead whilst a high profile section of Irelands Illuminati beat upon their chests in self chastisment,the serious questions concerning the Izevbekhai's ( Not forgetting Tony,the husband) facilitators and asssorted other business associates were left unasked and unanswered....until we can find another Star performer to fill the column inches.

This country's current asylum and immigration system is well fit-for-purpose,and deserves far more support in it's endeavours than the constant sniping largely against the Gardai,who with scant resources,attempt to remain proffessional and compassionate with those who seek to break,not only the law,but the very basis of the system itself.

Firstly, don't confuse me with a bleeding heart liberal, nothing could be further from the truth. I'm well aware there are people who have been coached on how to play the system here and it's up to the authorities to counter this, which, to date, they've failed to do but as always with the Public Service, it's not their money. These, however, are not those illegals alluded to in the OP, who come here and are exploited in menial jobs for subsistence wages. I think it's appalling that traffickers earn huge money on the backs of these peoples' misery but I think we should have compassion for the people themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

bmaxi wrote: »
    These, however, are not those illegals alluded to in the OP, who come here and are exploited in menial jobs for subsistence wages. I think it's appalling that traffickers earn huge money on the backs of these peoples' misery but I think we should have compassion for the people themselves.

I'm not a fan of this term "illegal", it's not the correct word to use about a human being in my opinion, least of all someone like those you mentioned above who are often breaking their backs in the worst of jobs and often in hock to those who brought them here. It also annoys me how you always hear about "illegal workers" but never illegal bosses or illegal profit. The money that these people produce for their employers is never deemed illegal, nor are the wages they place in banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Oh pass the bucket...

Illegal means exactly that: someone who enters and resides in a country illegally.
    The problem is people mixing up 'illegal immigrant' and 'immigrant' and too often deliberately so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

FTA69 wrote: »
    It also annoys me how you always hear about "illegal workers" but never illegal bosses or illegal profit. The money that these people produce for their employers is never deemed illegal, nor are the wages they place in banks.

The "Illegal Bosses" tend to be from the same ethnic groupings as the "Illegals" themselves they employ and most certainly do attract official attention.

The problem is resources,which tend to be well below minimum requirements for policing the system.

The UK is equally beset with this problem,which we tend occupy the moral high-ground on,pointing quivering fingers at the Empire etc etc...

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

link here to latest data on asylum seekers as reported in Irish Independent. http://www.independent.ie/national-news/applications-for-asylum-fall-11000-since-2002-peak-3341593.html

FTA69 wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of this term "illegal", it's not the correct word to use about a human being in my opinion, least of all someone like those you mentioned above who are often breaking their backs in the worst of jobs and often in hock to those who brought them here. It also annoys me how you always hear about "illegal workers" but never illegal bosses or illegal profit. The money that these people produce for their employers is never deemed illegal, nor are the wages they place in banks.

If they are not legally here then the correct word to use illegal no ? What word would you like us to use ?

Indeed, there is a relatively common perception that most non EU/EEA workers are illegal, when in fact that is not the case.
    Thats not to say there in no illegal workers, of course there are but it is not the problem many would have us believe, mainly because they mistake asylum seekers and refugees with illegal workers.

Quote "Indeed, there is a relatively common perception that most non EU/EEA workers are illegal, when in fact that is not the case."
    Unquote.
    Do you have any facts and figures to back up your claims ? If not I will presume you are just on one of your "pro refuge, immigrant and basically pro anything that is NOT a hard working Irish person" rants again.

RADIUS wrote: »
    Who says they have to get jobs? They could be dependent family members of Irish or EU citizens and have every right to be here.
    They could be lots of things, holidaymakers, non EU employees of non EU companies (Intel,Google,Paypal,Microsoft,Ebay etc), they could be family members of naturized Irish citizens visting family for holidays.
    Of course some people would like us to believe that they are all forigen scammers here to work illegally and get SW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

Heres some more.

India (16 per cent)
    Russia (14 per cent)
    China (11 per cent)
    Nigeria (eight per cent)
    Turkey (five per cent)

Who says they have to get jobs? They could be dependent family members of Irish or EU citizens and have every right to be here. What about holiday makers? Business travel for conferences and training etc?

Asylum seekers and Visa applicants are two different things by the way.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    The "Illegal Bosses" tend to be from the same ethnic groupings as the "Illegals" themselves they employ and most certainly do attract official attention.

Sometimes they are, sometimes they're not. I worked for a large Irish construction company in London for years and there were loads of undocumented workers employed there from Eastern Europe and Africa. Similarly many of the large scale cleaning companies working in the city employ people from places like Latin America and Africa with no work permits. I don't like the term "illegal" because it lumps the most exploited workers in society in with rapists and muggers, despite the fact that 1) the overwhelming majority of them simply seek a better life and 2) they work hard and produce wealth (money which is never deemed "illegal" and will still be accepted by all.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

What an odd thread. I say odd because the whole thing seems to be based upon lack of knowledge, compounded with presumption.

To begin with, and has been pointed out, being non-EU (or non-EEA), non-naturalised, working in a low-skills job and outside education does not imply that the person is illegal. They could be either married to an Irish citizen or a valid resident, which entitles one to a work and residency visa.

High-skilled jobs will also include those who have skills not easily (or in some cases at all) found amongst Irish citizens. And there's no shortage of skills shortage in Ireland thanks to the Celtic Tiger, which meant many didn't have to bother to go through (or finish) further education to get a job.

Then there are many who are technically EU citizens. Do you know how many Argentinians have Italian passports there are? Or South Africans with British passports? Or Moldavians with Romanian passports? Not to mention how many otherwise non-EU/EEA citizens have Irish passports thanks to our practice of giving one to anyone who had a grandparent who was born in Ballygospittlebackwards? The fruit of Ireland's own immigrants is coming home to roost.

Illegal immigration tends to fall into those who abuse the visa system. Practically no one enters Ireland illegally as we check documents. What can happen is they enter on a holiday or study visa and remain working clandestinely, after this runs out. Bogus asylum seekers are another example of this. These are the one's who are illegal.

Are there illegal immigrants still in Ireland, undoubtedly, but their numbers have plummeted. Asylum cases, the majority of which were in reality economic migrants attempting to abuse the system, are 8% of what they were a decade ago. Enrolment in 'language schools' has plummeted. Why? Because if you're an economic migrant; be it on a student, holiday or asylum visa, there are far better places to go than Ireland.

After all, why would an employer hire someone illegal, when there are so many legal candidates looking for work? Not worth the risk or headaches.

What remains are largely the 'self-employed' illegals, who I am told tend to be involved in criminal activities. However, to consider their number to be huge, let alone that they're 'taking Irish jobs' would be a gross exaggeration.

Illegal or abusive immigration is a fraction of what it was and this thread seems to be based upon simplistic and flawed understanding of what an illegal immigrant is.

If not I will presume you are just on one of your "pro refuge, immigrant and basically pro anything that is NOT a hard working Irish person" rants again.

Or maybe he/she just cares about their fellow human beings who are being worked to the bone for peanuts by unscrupolous employers. And you accusing anyone of rants is hilarious considering on a similar thread you were spouting stories of asylum seekers getting free cars and other assorted nonsense.

If they are not legally here then the correct word to use illegal no ? What word would you like us to use ?

A person can be illegal, an act is illegal !
    How about we use the term the Irish Government use when talking about our immigrants in the USA who have no permission to be there and be working there?
    The term used is Undocumented residents/ workers.

• Advertisement

How about we use the term the Irish Government use when talking about our immigrants in the USA who have no permission to be there and be working there?
    It reminds me of a immigration / "they're taking our jobs and wimin" discussion a few years back. One of the most militant anti-immigrant posters in the thread simultaneously was posting on another board that he was in the process of emigrating to Australia as there was plenty of work there.

Kinda pulled the moral high-ground rug from under him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

or a valid resident, which entitles one to a work and residency visa.

Would you be able to elaborate upon this? I mean visas that are neither work nor holiday based?
    After all, why would an employer hire someone illegal, when there are so many legal candidates looking for work? Not worth the risk or headaches.

Surely there would be perks to go along with it: such as being able to pay less than minimum wage and also avoid employee insurance? The whole thing would presumably be off-the-books.

Would you be able to elaborate upon this? I mean visas that are neither work nor holiday based?
    Actually that didn't make sense to me either until I read the full sentence: "They could be either married to an Irish citizen or a valid resident, which entitles one to a work and residency visa."

That means that they're married to a valid resident (not a legal term), other than an Irish citizen - for example the spouse of an EU citizen.
    Surely there would be perks to go along with it: such as being able to pay less than minimum wage and also avoid employee insurance? The whole thing would presumably be off-the-books.
    Perhaps so at the lowest end of the market - essentially slave labour. Thing is that it's so easy to get round minimum wages (unpaid or documented overtime) and easy to find cheap labour (like interns) that I really do think the market for illegal immigrant labour is probably really, really small.

Just an opinion though, I'll admit that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Perhaps so at the lowest end of the market - essentially slave labour. Thing is that it's so easy to get round minimum wages (unpaid or documented overtime) and easy to find cheap labour (like interns) that I really do think the market for illegal immigrant labour is probably really, really small.

I have it, admittedly anecdotally, that the black economy is alive and well and thriving in the catering and domestic service industries.

Actually that didn't make sense to me either until I read the full sentence: "They could be either married to an Irish citizen or a valid resident, which entitles one to a work and residency visa."

That means that they're married to a valid resident (not a legal term), other than an Irish citizen - for example the spouse of an EU citizen.

I think people misunderstand what a visa is, a visa is permission for a visa required national to enter the country. It can be for work, holiday transit, it can be short term or long term. Long term visas are given to spouses of Irish citizens or partners or persons with permission to remain or children etc..

On the other hand to then stay in the country even non visa required nationals will require a stamp in their passports (does not apply to EU citizens)

Stamp 0 limited condition
    Stamp 1 work permit permissions can be in country till stamp runs out but requires a work permit to work
    Stamp 2 Student permission
    Stamp 3 Family member visa no right to work
    Stamp 4 no real restrictions valid for specific time can be renewed
    Stamp 5 no conditions as to time given after 8 years
    Stamp 6 given to dual nationality a person who has the right to Irish citizenship

So just because a visa is granted it is not in any way an indication of a right to reside or work.

Info here http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000207

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Do you know whether, if an individual is residing in Ireland outside the terms of their visa, will that time still count in terms of eligibility for naturalisation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Duzzer

Who is mistaking asylum seekers and refugees for illegal workers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Do you know whether, if an individual is residing in Ireland outside the terms of their visa, will that time still count in terms of eligibility for naturalisation?

No it won't.

Simple answer no, the only time that counts are stamp 1,3 or 4 student stamp 2 does not count towards either long term residency or naturalisation. You can be here 20 years illegally a deportation letter can still issue.

Of course stamp 5 counts towards naturalisation, but as a person requires more time to get stamp 5 then I assume there is a reason they did not want naturalisation. Stamp 6 is as right entitled to a Irish passport, example is say a dual national where the other country does not allow two passports example a father Chinese and mother Irish child, born in china, china will not allow a citizen to hold two passports, so the parents could get stamp 6 put in passport.

Of course as EU nationals do not need a stamp 5 years residency alone counts to naturalisation.

THE MIGRANT RIGHTS Centre Ireland (MRCI) believes the St Patrick’s Day celebrations this weekend offer an opportunity to highlight the plight of an estimated 30,000 undocumented people in Ireland.

http://www.thejournal.ie/undocumented-in-ireland-will-celebrate-st-patricks-day-in-the-shadows-385862-Mar2012/

Now here is the amusing part.

“I have three children to support and I work really hard to provide an education for them. Yet I am in limbo,” Elisia Fuentes, who is originally from the Philippines and came to Ireland in 2007, said.
    Speaking for the Justice for the Undocumented Campaign she called on the government to provide a “fair and pragmatic solution” by introducing a regularisation scheme that would consider the “rights and responsibilities of undocumented people living here.”

A quick google of yer wans name and the GNIB would be able to find out where she lives and what company she works for.

Yet, she remains. Do they even give a f*ck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

THE MIGRANT RIGHTS Centre Ireland (MRCI) believes the St Patrick’s Day celebrations this weekend offer an opportunity to highlight the plight of an estimated 30,000 undocumented people in Ireland.

http://www.thejournal.ie/undocumented-in-ireland-will-celebrate-st-patricks-day-in-the-shadows-385862-Mar2012/

Now here is the amusing part.

“I have three children to support and I work really hard to provide an education for them. Yet I am in limbo,” Elisia Fuentes, who is originally from the Philippines and came to Ireland in 2007, said.
    Speaking for the Justice for the Undocumented Campaign she called on the government to provide a “fair and pragmatic solution” by introducing a regularisation scheme that would consider the “rights and responsibilities of undocumented people living here.”

A quick google of yer wans name and the GNIB would be able to find out where she lives and what company she works for.

Yet, she remains. Do they even give a f*ck?

"Fair and Pragmatic" for whom I wonder..?

As the long running PamIvevbekhai production proved,the Irish State's long running lackadaisical attitude to the preservation of it's own integrity has left it wide open to snake-oil and coloured-smoke salesmen from the four-corners.

The Irish State appears to major in "regularizing" situations which it failed to leglislate for,almost like the issuing of Full Driving Licences to provisional licence holders in order to reduce the backlog....:rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
Advertisement