Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Illegal immigration

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Duzzer

Link to evidence of these people who have obtained citizenship under "False Pretences", what were the false pretences? If someone is a citizen then they are,by definition, residing here legally.

Not if it is subsequently found that they provided false information for their application. I was talking about a category of people in general not about one particular case. I'd expect someone as learned as yourself to read my posts carefully and ensure I am not mis represented by your replies. Thats a crafty trick you've developed there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Duzzer wrote: »
    Not if it is subsequently found that they provided false information for their application. I was talking about a category of people in general not about one particular case. I'd expect someone as learned as yourself to read my posts carefully and ensure I am not mis represented by your replies. Thats a crafty trick you've developed there.

If you haven't got any particular cases, and indeed figures showing how prevalent a phenomenon it is, I don't see much point in discussing it in the complete abstract.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Scofflaw wrote: »
    If you haven't got any particular cases, and indeed figures showing how prevalent a phenomenon it is, I don't see much point in discussing it in the complete abstract.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Indeed,and I wonder if the relevant authorities would have even considered the collection of such statistics,as even a small number would tend to hold the process and certain individuals within it up to scrutiny ?

So......in this case,if we cant find statistics then it does'nt exist I suppose...?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

If someone has figures, sure, but not the kind of logic that's regularly used in these cases:

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I'm not saying there are large numbers of these types of illegal immigrants in Ireland. In my opinion and from what I have witnessed I do think alot of the naturalised asylum seekers are here to change their economic circumstances for the better, arguably illegal immigrants but this is extremely hard to prove for individual cases due to the lack of paper work, multiple names and false documnetation. Not a popular opinion on here but has to be said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

I'm not saying there are large numbers of these types of illegal immigrants in Ireland. In my opinion and from what I have witnessed I do think alot of the naturalised asylum seekers are here to change their economic circumstances for the better. Not a popular opinion on here but has to be said.

If they are Naturalized they are Irish, not asylum seekers!!!!
    Its not a popular opinion because you appear to have nothing factual, other than your opinion, to back it up.
    Yeesh, if you have evidence , facts,documented data, then I will happily agree with you, but all you seem to present is "I think" and "in my opinion" which makes it frustrating.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Indeed,and I wonder if the relevant authorities would have even considered the collection of such statistics,as even a small number would tend to hold the process and certain individuals within it up to scrutiny ?

So......in this case,if we cant find statistics then it does'nt exist I suppose...?

No, but if you can't find statistics all discussion of it as a social/political phenomenon is pointless, however interesting a discussion of it as a legal issue might be (for the right kind of people, in another forum).

If there was, say, just one case of it in the last decade, then it's rather obviously not worth discussing as a social/political issue. If, on the other hand, there have been thousands of cases, it is worth discussing as a social/political issue.

Without knowing how many cases there have been, anyone claiming it is a social/political phenomenon worth discussing is immediately in a position of making a spurious claim that they cannot substantiate, and they'll be argued against by people making an equally unsubstantiated claim that it's not worth discussing. The net result is a fact-free argument between two equally spurious sets of claims, which is frankly just an opportunity to show off their biases, liberal or otherwise, and not actually a discussion.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

If someone has figures, sure, but not the kind of logic that's regularly used in these cases:
    cordially,
    Scofflaw

Again,I can appreciate the ethos of this counter argument,which to keep everything nice and tidy,has a certain desirability.

However,such is the nature of the beast,we now have,thanks to some against-the-grain investigative journalism on the part of The Sunday Times,a small insight into how this very end could be facilitated.

The manner in which the Unakajo statement and subsequent clarification totally altered the Izevbekhai case,points to a situation which,given the numbers involved at the time,could surely have been utilized by more bogus applicants,some of whom may have succeeded ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

I'm not saying there are large numbers of these types of illegal immigrants in Ireland. In my opinion and from what I have witnessed I do think alot of the naturalised asylum seekers are here to change their economic circumstances for the better, arguably illegal immigrants but this is extremely hard to prove for individual cases due to the lack of paper work, multiple names and false documnetation. Not a popular opinion on here but has to be said.

It doesn't matter whether it's a popular opinion or not, what matters is whether it's a meaningful statement or not - and without figures to back it, it isn't. It should be obvious, too, that if one is prepared to make such a claim without having figures to back it up then it's necessarily a statement of prejudice, because you have literally prejudged something to be the case without having the facts to support it. As such, it's going to be met with nothing but statements of the contrary prejudice, making the whole thing an exercise in meaningless trench warfare.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

If they are Naturalized they are Irish, not asylum seekers!!!!

A clear misrepresentation again. If I just used the word naturalised on its own then it would confuse the context of the point I am trying to get across. Instead of concetrating on the minutae of my sentences you should come back to me on my actual point.

• Advertisement

Again,I can appreciate the ethos of this counter argument,which to keep everything nice and tidy,has a certain desirability.

However,such is the nature of the beast,we now have,thanks to some against-the-grain investigative journalism on the part of The Sunday Times,a small insight into how this very end could be facilitated.

The manner in which the Unakajo statement and subsequent clarification totally altered the Izevbekhai case,points to a situation which,given the numbers involved at the time,could surely have been utilized by more bogus applicants,some of whom may have succeeded ?

It "could have been used" is another fine example of how meaningless the discussion can rapidly become, though - the extension of a documented case to claim there "must" be more undocumented cases is without logic. The one does not follow from the other, any more than the fact that someone invented the iPhone means that many more people did.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

No, but if you can't find statistics all discussion of it as a social/political phenomenon is pointless, however interesting a discussion of it as a legal issue might be (for the right kind of people, in another forum).

If there was, say, just one case of it in the last decade, then it's rather obviously not worth discussing as a social/political issue. If, on the other hand, there have been thousands of cases, it is worth discussing as a social/political issue.

Without knowing how many cases there have been, anyone claiming it is a social/political phenomenon worth discussing is immediately in a position of making a spurious claim that they cannot substantiate, and they'll be argued against by people making an equally unsubstantiated claim that it's not worth discussing. The net result is a fact-free argument between two equally spurious sets of claims, which is frankly just an opportunity to show off their biases, liberal or otherwise, and not actually a discussion.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I agree with your very astute reading of what could possibly develop from further discussion of what you term "unsubstantiated claims".

I would differ somewhat on the relevance of the one incidence vs whatever number is thought necessary to define it as an "Issue"...I would suggest that that single case,if high-profile enough,represents an issue in itself.

however I'm happy to leave the topic hanging out there,as opposed to having it immediately result in it's proposers or supporters being infracted or otherwise silenced ?

Right gents I'm back to work. I'll try and back this up with fact later and hopefully that will add to the discussion.

I agree with your very astute reading of what could possibly develop from further discussion of what you term "unsubstantiated claims".

I would differ somewhat on the relevance of the one incidence vs whatever number is thought necessary to define it as an "Issue"...I would suggest that that single case,if high-profile enough,represents an issue in itself.

Well, it presents, as I said, interesting legal issues, but the political issue there is really "why does one such case become high-profile despite most people having no evidence that the phenomenon in question is common?", to which we pretty much know the answer already.
    however I'm happy to leave the topic hanging out there,as opposed to having it immediately result in it's proposers or supporters being infracted or otherwise silenced ?

Eh, the worst that's likely to happen is that the thread gets closed, unless the chain reaction of annoyance that results from people banging two sets of unsubstantiated claims together goes critical, at which point, yes, the thread gets closed and people get infracted/banned - but it's for the incivility they're showing to each other that they're penalised, not their support for one or other set of such pointless claims.

As a general rule, people get much hotter under the collar when they're arguing from no basis in demonstrable fact than when they can let the facts speak on their behalf. There's some psychological effect there, but I don't know whether it has a name yet.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Well, it presents, as I said, interesting legal issues, but the political issue there is really "why does one such case become high-profile despite most people having no evidence that the phenomenon in question is common?", to which we pretty much know the answer already.

Eh, the worst that's likely to happen is that the thread gets closed, unless the chain reaction of annoyance that results from people banging two sets of unsubstantiated claims together goes critical, at which point, yes, the thread gets closed and people get infracted/banned - but it's for the incivility they're showing to each other that they're penalised, not their support for one or other set of such pointless claims.

As a general rule, people get much hotter under the collar when they're arguing from no basis in demonstrable fact than when they can let the facts speak on their behalf. There's some psychological effect there, but I don't know whether it has a name yet.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I think it is called "Ego Investment", you will find reference to it in Edward de Bono's " I am Right, You are Wrong" (Penguin)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

IrishAm wrote: »
    Since birth.

She has refused our offers to debate these last 6 months.

She, a zionist, calls my nation a racial state!!!

Joker.

A bit mad that you say that, seeing as you apologised for making those assertions and retracted them in a thread with me back in june....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

The following table may be instructive:
    First_instance_decisions_on_%28non-EU-27%29_asylum_applications%2C_2011_%28number%2C_rounded_figures%29.png

From it, we can see that out of 1,365 applications, only 75 received a positive outcome for the applicant. This is not to suggest that the other 1,295 were bogus, abusive or dishonest, only that they didn't prove their case for asylum. In reality, there are no statistics for bogus versus simply failed applications, so we can only at best take a straw poll of failed applications.

One example, has an applicant openly admitting that they "came to Ireland so that [they] could apply for residency on the basis of [their child born in Ireland] Irish citizenship and reside here with him". And if one searches through these case studies of rejections, one quickly finds that they fall into two basic categories; clear cases of economic migration and insufficient proof.

Of the former, you need only have a pint with a barrister to hear of examples; the applicants tend to be poorly educated and ignorant of what asylum actually means, thus are open about their motivations. Indeed, I know quite a few barristers and every single one is in agreement that the vast majority of asylum cases during the Celtic Tiger years were bogus.

Of the latter we unfortunately are in a position whereby the courts essentially have little option but to believe the applicant at their word or not. This can be easy; for example, one of the first things that that is often done where more than one applicants apply together is that they will be quickly separated and interviewed separately - many are caught out by the simple fact that they've not prepared and will recount completely different stories.

Other times it's more difficult and there's no way of verifying a claim; this was indeed the case with Izevbekhai, and it was only when the state took the extraordinary step to send a Gardai to check records and interview the alleged doctor in her story that her deception was uncovered. Most of the time we can't do this - it's just too expensive - and thus it comes down to whether we believe them or not.

This is something that I personally find upsetting, as it effectively lumps those truly in need of asylum with those who are simply good actors.

As a further example, one case I'm aware of, consisted of the applicant claiming that he was in danger as a result of criticizing the state government back in Nigeria. To this end he supplied evidence of local articles by third parties reporting this. Unfortunately, given the complete lack of articles prior to his application, it became clear that these were in reality orchestrated, through contacts, after the fact.

Nonetheless, the applicant was granted asylum, because while his application had been originally false, the articles that he had allegedly commissioned had ironically made his asylum status valid.

The asylum system is important and should be kept as there are genuine cases out there, however it has been abused - as with student visas and Irish jus soli citizenship (un until 2005) - for the purposes of illegal immigration and this is frankly harming those genuine cases. While this immigration has decreased substantially since the financial crisis began, we won't be in a recession forever (hopefully) and it is probably now, rather than when it becomes an issue again, that we should look to reforming the policing of illegal immigration in Ireland.

I agree (.......) or supporters being infracted or otherwise silenced ?

Name three cases (with sources) of persons granted citizenship, but who were subequently found by a court or tribunal to have falsely obtained that citizenship.

I think it is called "Ego Investment", you will find reference to it in Edward de Bono's " I am Right, You are Wrong" (Penguin)

I think everyone invests ego in being right, though, whether they have facts to back them or not. What interests me is the extra animosity involved when the positions have no substantive backing.

Anyway, OT meta-discussion.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

What category should an asylum seeker who is given citizenship on false pretenses be classed as? I would argue they woud be a class of illegal immigrant and the same would go for an asylum seeker on the run after their application has been rejected. In my opinion these groups would fall under the remit of this discussion?

If a person claims and gets Asylum, on the basis of a false claim, if that matter comes to light then the Minister can and does inform the person of an intention to withdraw the status. If the person claims Naturalisation based on such a false claim then that Naturalisation can and will be withdrawn. In fact the Minister can withdraw a Certificate of Naturalisation, in many circumstances, say a guy was later found guilty of murder or other very serious crime the minister may decided to withdraw the certificate.

If the above happened then the person may be classed as an illegal from the date of the withdrawal of the permission.

Have you any examples of where this has happened or a total number of persons given Asylum who had that decision reversed.

If a person claims and gets Asylum, on the basis of a false claim, if that matter comes to light then the Minister can and does inform the person of an intention to withdraw the status. If the person claims Naturalisation based on such a false claim then that Naturalisation can and will be withdrawn. In fact the Minister can withdraw a Certificate of Naturalisation, in many circumstances, say a guy was later found guilty of murder or other very serious crime the minister may decided to withdraw the certificate.

If the above happened then the person may be classed as an illegal from the date of the withdrawal of the permission.

Have you any examples of where this has happened or a total number of persons given Asylum who had that decision reversed.

Yeah I have some very specific examples now. I've been doing some investigations of my own around the local area here for some time now and also got a contact in west Africa to confirm my information. I have names and current addresses of 4 people who are here under false pretences. In one case I have photographs too. Am I allowed put this information up here.

• Advertisement

Yeah I have some very specific examples now. I've been doing some investigations of my own around the local area here for some time now and also got a contact in west Africa to confirm my information. I have names and current addresses of 4 people who are here under false pretences. In one case I have photographs too. Am I allowed put this information up here.

I would suggest you forward it to the GNBI, not sure if you would be allowed put it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

I would not put it up ona public forum, forward same information if you wish to the INIS Department of Justice, let those who have the power deal with it.

BTW just because an Asylum application is shall we say a bit dubious, does not mean a subsidiary protection or humanitarian application is not totally ok.

Sounds just about right to me anyway....

Nodin wrote: »
    Name three cases (with sources) of persons granted citizenship, but who were subequently found by a court or tribunal to have falsely obtained that citizenship.

Crikey Nodin,I have none of what you require.

However,others may well have,and I'm sure you will be interested in whatever they may reveal,if they are allowed do so ?

BTW just because an Asylum application is shall we say a bit dubious, does not mean a subsidiary protection or humanitarian application is not totally ok.

Interesting slant right enough.

Although we already have ample precedent for the elasticity of the term in relation to driving coaches and fours through our Asylum System.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Why would you even do that?

That's a no bye the way, we don't allow naming people and giving out their addresses.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Lads I was just joking here. Got called out before I could edit to say that! I promised the lads earlier I'd look for some facts before posting. Imagine if I carried out my own investigation and posted the results. There'd be uproar! I dare to suggest it gave a few of you something to think about for the last few hours.

Mod. Banned for Trolling.

Indeed.
    However,others may well have,and I'm sure you will be interested in whatever they may reveal,if they are allowed do so ?

Such things, should they have occurred, would be in the public domain.

Indeed.

Such things, should they have occurred, would be in the public domain.

Indeed....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 407 ✭✭Noel Kinsella

K-9 wrote: »
    Why would you even do that?

That's a no bye the way, we don't allow naming people and giving out their addresses.

What about car reg numbers ? Just wondering. There is a Nigerian around the corner from my friend who has been driving a uk registered 4x4 for almost 2 years it is not taxed or mot`d in Ireland or the UK. This person is on welfare and does not work. My friend has reported him to customs and Gardai on 2 occasions each to no avail (I heard the phone calls). The road tax on this 4x4 should be almost 1k per year thats a loss of almost 2k to our exchequer is it ok to put up the reg number ? I have read and understand that names and address are not allowed.

• Advertisement

What about car reg numbers ? Just wondering. There is a Nigerian around the corner from my friend who has been driving a uk registered 4x4 for almost 2 years it is not taxed or mot`d in Ireland or the UK..

How do you know this? And what has it to do with "Illegal immigration"
    This person is on welfare and does not work. My friend has reported him to customs and Gardai on 2 occasions each to no avail (I heard the phone calls)..

What a coincidence, to be there on both occassions.

How do you know this? And what has it to do with "Illegal immigration"

What a coincidence, to be there on both occassions.

Typical ! You have shown your true colours once again. You dont care about right and wrong unless it suits you. If I get permission I will put up the reg number and proove it to everyone here. I was there because the person who lives around the corner from the "Nigerian with the UK vehicle for the last two years" is a friend of mine and neither of us like free loaders. As far as I am concerned evading road tax is theft from our exchequer and I will go one step further if you want to meet me I will bring you to the house and show you the vehicle and the phone records and the names of the customs and Gardai that my friend spoke to. Are you interested ?

Typical ! You have shown your true colours once again. You dont care about right and wrong unless it suits you. ............

Sorry, what has this to do with illegal immigration....?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

What about car reg numbers ?
    Admin hat on: hells to the no.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Admin hat on: hells to the no.

There are other posts on Boards with car reg numbers in them, even video clips too !!! So it will be interesting to see when Mods get back to me on this. Its either against the charter or its not. I am waiting to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

There are other posts on Boards with car reg numbers in them, even video clips too !!! So it will be interesting to see when Mods get back to me on this. Its either against the charter or its not. I am waiting to see.

There's a discussion on the rules thread on the main page, use it to discuss issues on moderation.

For thread clarification no, we do not allow posters on the politics board to put up pictures of cars and registration plates of people who don't pay car tax. I would have thought this was a pretty obvious no no, so much that I can't believe I'm answering the question. No more discussing moderation on this thread thank you.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

You have kinda lost me here. What has any of this to do with the thread title "Illegal Immigration"?
    Wrong though VRT evasion (if that is the case) may be it is hardly confined to one group in the population, many people in border counties routinely drive UK registered vehicles.
    Of course you are correct to report any wrongdoing by any person to the appropriate authorities, but that is a different issue to the one that this thread is about.

You have kinda lost me here. What has any of this to do with the thread title "Illegal Immigration"?
    Wrong though VRT evasion (if that is the case) may be it is hardly confined to one group in the population, many people in border counties routinely drive UK registered vehicles.
    Of course you are correct to report any wrongdoing by any person to the appropriate authorities, but that is a different issue to the one that this thread is about.

I am just wondering if it is the start of "positive discrimination" in the Republic of Ireland. ?

"Wrong though VRT evasion (if that is the case) may be it is hardly confined to one group in the population, many people in border counties routinely drive UK registered vehicles."

Do you have any proof of this statement ? Facts and figures please.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    There's a discussion on the rules thread on the main page, use it to discuss issues on moderation.

For thread clarification no, we do not allow posters on the politics board to put up pictures of cars and registration plates of people who don't pay car tax. I would have thought this was a pretty obvious no no, so much that I can't believe I'm answering the question. No more discussing moderation on this thread thank you.

Ok thank you.

I am just wondering if it is the start of "positive discrimination" in the Republic of Ireland. ?

And what has "positive discrimination" to do with illegal immigration?

"Wrong though VRT evasion (if that is the case) may be it is hardly confined to one group in the population, many people in border counties routinely drive UK registered vehicles."

Do you have any proof of this statement ? Facts and figures please.
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/press/archive/2009/pr-270309-vrt.html
    Revenue crackdown on VRT offences in border counties
    The Revenue Commissioners have commenced a major national crackdown on VRT offences. Customs checkpoints, principally in border counties and major urban areas, have commenced this week in an operation which will continue for some time. The major focus of the blitz is VRT evasion through the use of foreign registered number plates.
    Thats direct from the Revenue Commissioners Website. OK?
    Can we ger back on thread now? Please?

And what has "positive discrimination" to do with illegal immigration?
    Absolutley nothing.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/press/archive/2009/pr-270309-vrt.html
    Revenue crackdown on VRT offences in border counties
    The Revenue Commissioners have commenced a major national crackdown on VRT offences. Customs checkpoints, principally in border counties and major urban areas, have commenced this week in an operation which will continue for some time. The major focus of the blitz is VRT evasion through the use of foreign registered number plates.
    Thats direct from the Revenue Commissioners Website. OK?
    Can we ger back on thread now? Please?

Pity they are not up around Blanchardstown though. Customs told my friend they could not confiscate the car in the the drive and did not have the resources to put a man on it but would keep an eye on it. Well our country is down 2k in road tax and god knows how much in VRT, false economy me thinks. I know this Niger`ian is not a representation of all Niger`ians but it would be nice to think that when a country grants asylum to save a families life that the head of the family would have a little more respect for the country that saved them. He is not setting much of an example to his children either. I am going to move this to the police thread see can they help me. Goodnight all. Take care.

Whats with the childish and immature need to persistantly place an apostrophe between Niger and ian, surley you dont really think that impresses anyone , do you?

I'm sure the Revenue VRT Crackdown achieved great results in it's time....as was revealed at the end of the Quoted Press Release....
    Last year Revenue challenged 23,986 vehicles and 1,589 cars were seized for VRT offences.

[Ends 27/03/09]

Somewhat odd also is that misspelled surley..or is it surely a freudian slip..?

But,all churlishness aside,do you see the discussion as being about ability to impress ?

If so,I find it an unusual approach....:confused:

Although...and I'm actually reluctant to point it out.....persistantly is actually spelt persistently :o

Almost forgot to wonder aloud if Noel Kinsella's example was perhaps from Niger (as in Knee-Zher,as the newsreaders would have it said )..?

• Advertisement

posts deleted, back on topic please

This report in todays Irish Times should end all speculation that the Government is soft on those found to have provided false information in their attempts to gain refugee status. It is clear the the Gov do pursue case where they feel they were duped.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2013/0122/1224329146379.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,782 ✭✭✭✭walshb

And what a money racket it is to administer "justice" in the whole process. Big buisness are our refugees and asylum seekers. I wonder how many of the refused claims are gone form the country? How long on average would it take for them to be deported?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

This report in todays Irish Times should end all speculation that the Government is soft on those found to have provided false information in their attempts to gain refugee status. It is clear the the Gov do pursue case where they feel they were duped.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2013/0122/1224329146379.html

The simple fact is there is not 1 single genuine Nigerian asylum seeker in Ireland, there are no direct flights from Nigeria to Ireland, Nigeria is a stable state relative to other African countries. A Nigerian would need a passport to leave their country yet somehow all of their documents seem to vanish shortly after they cross over the border around the 6 counties.

If you were running in fear for your life would you cross over countless numbers of countries, to fly to the UK to then illegally cross into Ireland in order to claim asylum?

Ireland's immigration and asylum policy is a farce and known internationally as a soft touch which when abused leads to a life of state financial support and housing.

What we have here is a chronic case of welfare tourism and nothing else, is it a coincidence that the decline in asylum applications from Nigeria correlates exactly with the Irish economic downturn and that the peak level of Nigerian asylum applications match Ireland's time of economic boom?
    I think not.

This needs to change NOW!

TomRooney wrote: »
    The simple fact is there is not 1 single genuine Nigerian asylum seeker in Ireland, there are no direct flights from Nigeria to Ireland, Nigeria is a stable state relative to other African countries. A Nigerian would need a passport to leave their country yet somehow all of their documents seem to vanish shortly after they cross over the border around the 6 counties.

If you were running in fear for your life would you cross over countless numbers of countries, to fly to the UK to then illegally cross into Ireland in order to claim asylum?

Ireland's immigration and asylum policy is a farce and known internationally as a soft touch which when abused leads to a life of state financial support and housing.

What we have here is a chronic case of welfare tourism and nothing else, is it a coincidence that the decline in asylum applications from Nigeria correlates exactly with the Irish economic downturn and that the peak level of Nigerian asylum applications match Ireland's time of economic boom?
    I think not.

This needs to change NOW!

We have the lowest rate of acceptance in Europe. I also find your fascination with Nigerians odd.

• Advertisement
Advertisement