Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I lose my MIR?

Options
  • 31-12-2012 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

I am considering renting out a room in my home. I'm still unsure if I will or not because I'm afraid ill lose my mortgage interest relief or end up with a tax bill at the end of it. ?
    I know from looking online that I can rent out a room up to 10,000 e. do I have to declare to anyone about renting out the room? Do I have to register as a landlord or do I have any obligations to declare if I rent out the room?
    Apologies if this has been covered before.
    Many thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No.
    You have to declare any income to Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

I am considering renting out a room in my home. I'm still unsure if I will or not because I'm afraid ill lose my mortgage interest relief or end up with a tax bill at the end of it. ?
    It's not a tenancy scenario - you will be letting out the room under 'license agreement'. The house remains your PPR.
    In relation to tax, you've already identified the ability to earn €10k/year tax free under the rent a room scheme - so therefore, it's not an issue. As snubbleste says, you should declare any income to revenue each year. However, whilst I did this a couple of years, I have not bothered doing so in the last three. I would suspect that many don't bother. If your PAYE with no other revenue streams, then I can't imagine revenue bothering to take you to task for not declaring what is in any event tax free earnings (assuming you're staying under the €10k threshold and the property remains your PPR). However, that is NOT a recommendation.

Advertisement