Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian alternative to parmesan

Options
  • 31-12-2012 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭

As a fairly recent vegetarian, I've found that giving up meat and fish isn't much of a problem, but it's the items that I never knew contained animal products which were more difficult, parmesan being one. Many recipes which are flagged and vegetarian contain it, including many of the "vegetarian" recipes on the otherwise excellent BBC Good Food site. Is anyone aware of a good veggie-friendly substitute, preferably available in the supermarkets (not in Dublin anymore so I've no access to Sheridan's) , that I can drop into recipes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I use the 'live free' vegan parmesan but I think there was a thread here saying they were closing up business... You could buy it in supermarkets/heath food stores

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I think Regatto would normally be vegetarian?

I usually get my "everyday" cheeses in Aldi or Lidl, and I think it's Lidl that have a hard goat's cheese, a Spanish one, which works really well as Parmesan substitute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Thanks Shenshen, we do most of our shopping in Aldi and I didn't spot anything but I'll try Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

Dunnes Stores have a vegetarian parmesan style cheese as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Serendipity99

Cheezly do a vegan parmesan cheese which is very good: http://www.veggiestuff.com/acatalog/redwood-parmesan-style-cheezly.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Shenshen wrote: »
    I think Regatto would normally be vegetarian?

It is and is probably the best substitute imho.

Advertisement