Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

salary cap and trades

Options
  • 31-12-2012 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭

How does a trade affect the salary cap? For the person trading a player and receiving a player.

If cuts are made before June the 1st does that mean that next seasons cap will not be affected by the hits?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

If a player has a 5 million year deal and 3 years left and you trade him. If his bonus makes up 2 out of the 5 million. You take the cap hit if 2 million that season and then 4 millionthe next

Not sure on the dates tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

If a player has a 5 million year deal and 3 years left and you trade him. If his bonus makes up 2 out of the 5 million. You take the cap hit if 2 million that season and then 4 millionthe next

Not sure on the dates tbh

So basically not a good idea to go trading big players?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Basically you have already paid their signing bonus and that still counts against your cap, so if they have a large bonus doesn't make sense to trade them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

It depends. In another league I've taken a 10 mil hit this year, got picks for the players and used rookies to fill in. 2 players basically cost me that hit :eek:
    Taking thehit allows me to sign me qb and TE.

It really is a balancing act

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Guffy

freeman_zps53096a75.png.html?sort=3&o=0

so m#would my hit on him be the 10m bonus or the 5m cap hit?

http://s601.beta.photobucket.com/user/gufc21/media/freeman_zps53096a75.png.html?sort=3&o=0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

gufc21 wrote: »

http://s601.beta.photobucket.com/user/gufc21/media/freeman_zps53096a75.png.html?sort=3&o=0

That cap hit looks wrong.

Basically, when you cut a player, you must account for the bonus left on his contract as he gets paid that when the contract starts. The way that works is he takes the bonus hit you would have taken any way this year, and then any remaining bonus left in the following years goes against your cap the next year.

So if Freeman signed on a 4 year deal with a bonus of 10m. Every year, 2.5m bonus goes against your cap.

If you cut him in his second year, you would take a 2.5m cap hit in the 2nd year, and then in the 3rd year you would take a 5m cap hit as that is the remaining bonus left to be paid.

I think the cap hit is how much you are saving/losing when you look at what it'll cost you in bonus hit to what you will save on his salary.

No, would be 2 million as his bonus is 10 million over 5 years

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

gufc21 wrote: »

Freeman had a 5 year contract with 10mil bonus.

That means his bonus is 2m per year.

If you trade him with one year left, cap penalty = 2mil. Presumably next year is his final year?

You'd also save the salary you're not paying him so may work out as a net gain.

and how would this affect the person signing him?

The person signing him only pays him his salary not whatever the bonus is

• Advertisement

The person signing him just pays his salary, as his bouns has already been paid, and then has the chance to resign him to a new deal once the current one runs out after 1 year.

so they would pay 4 million for his remaining year? assuming its an even split? cheers for the help lads just want to clarify the situation, not just for freeman but in general.

No. They would pay 2.

He has a 5 year 20 million deal but 10 of that is his bonus. If he's traded freeman will get paid

(20-10 = 10mil salary)
    1 year left from 5 year deal so 10 x 20% = 2 million

Well it depends on how his contract is structured and what is salary is in year 5. If his total salary is 20Million and 10 million is bonus that leaves 10 mil salary over 5 years which would be approx 2mil per year, but usually its not split evenly.

You can check all this a lot easier on the xbox than on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

His contract AFAIK is

5 year contract, next season 2013 is his last year
    Salary 20m
    Bonus 10m

So Bucs would have a cap penalty of 2m if they trade him ( 1/5 x 10M )
    The salary would be structured but would probably be in the region of 5-6 million as it us allocated higher towards the contract end so thats what any team who would trade for him would have to pay.

on XBox go to Strategy > Salaries

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

Can I just warn people before they go spending all that lovely cap that you have to take into account your incoming rookies.

When we advance to the off season around 10 million will disappear from your cap. The game automatically sets it aside for you draft class. It is possible that you will go into negative figures. It happened to me offline as I have around 4 first round picks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Thats a great point. Normally you will need 6-7 million for your draft picks, if you have more high picks that increases.

If you are over cap by the time Preseason is over and the Regular season starts I don't think you will be allowed to actually play your games !

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

Are trades with cpu teams allowed? It's probably not gonna happen as the cpu overprices everyone, but guild lines would be helpful

Also if a cpu team sends you a trade offer can you accept? If I'm not mistaken this happened in preseason before people took control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

And if your like me you don't need account at all for draft cap space due to barely having any picks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

so if I have 33m cap space, I also need to be thinking about our 3 season too? Or could I blow 10m now?

• Advertisement

It depends on when your resignings are, you may blow 20 mil on resigning now, but you may have 2/3 players who want massive deals next year and you might not be able to afford them..

Advertisement