Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIOS updating

Options
  • 31-12-2012 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi guys,
    What is a good and not too expensive way of updating my PC's BIOS?

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

duckie360 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    What is a good and not too expensive way of updating my PC's BIOS?

Thanks in advance!!

Updating your bios is free, you just download the correct bios file from the manufacturers website and follow the updating instructions. You don't need to buy a bios, unless it is the chip itself that you need to replace (due to bad flash) which in most cases is an advanced soldering job

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 38 duckie360

Cheers Nick.
    I went on to Phoenix Tech who supplied the BIOS and they sent me to a third party developer to download BIOS at a 20 yoyo fee.
    I'll prob have to do that I think.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

duckie360 wrote: »
    Cheers Nick.
    I went on to Phoenix Tech who supplied the BIOS and they sent me to a third party developer to download BIOS at a 20 yoyo fee.
    I'll prob have to do that I think.

No you won't, contact your motherboard manufacturer and request the bios for your mobo, like drivers bios upgrades are provided free of charge by the motherboard/system manufacturer. I have never heard of being charged for a bios upgrade, unless they will do it for you or you need to have a bios chip reflashed due to a corrupt initial flash

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

OP if you're running Windows, System Information is the first place to start to find information on your motherboard.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/13/how-to-identify-a-motherboard-when-you-want-to-upgrade/

If you can't get information from that tool, there are others tools to try like CPU-Z, Speccy and ASTRA32 (ASTRA tends to be crashy, don't have work running in the background)

If all else fails, you'll have to open up the case and see if the model number is silkscreened on the motherboard. If it isn't self built, don't open the case. Go to the manufacturers support site and see if there's an update there.

Like Nick, I've also never head of a charge for a BIOS update, it's up to the OEM to support your PC BIOS. I'm sure that Phoenix get those types of questions all the time, but I'm very surprised they didn't tell you to go to the manufacturer first.

Advertisement