Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

create lan using eircom wireless router

Options
  • 31-12-2012 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Hi guys I have an eircom wireless router (motorola) which feeds a laptop with the internet. Also it feeds the pc but that is wired in with ethernet cable. I am wondering how can I configure this router to connect my pc and laptop without the internet on in order to play games.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If both machines are connected to the router then they are already on the same network. It doesn't matter whether the connection from the router to the internet is on or not.

If the connection to the internet is active then both machines can access the internet as well as each other. If the internet is not connected then the machines can access each other but not the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

yoyo wrote: »
    Hamachi might be what you want..

Nick
    No I don't think so. Isn't that over the internet?

FSL wrote: »
    If both machines are connected to the router then they are already on the same network. It doesn't matter whether the connection from the router to the internet is on or not.

If the connection to the internet is active then both machines can access the internet as well as each other. If the internet is not connected then the machines can access each other but not the internet.
    The thing is I can't get them to access each other directly and was wondering has anyone else done it with this router before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

The thing is I can't get them to access each other directly and was wondering has anyone else done it with this router before.

Make sure both of them are on the same workgroup. And then share drives.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

No I don't think so. Isn't that over the internet?

It is yeah, mis-understood the question. You shouldn't have any issue trying to connect to another computer on the same LAN, unless there are firewall or other issues with the network

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Got the same router/setup. Just create a game(host) on one of the machines, and on the other go into the game and go to multiplayer lan and you should see the game show up. If not get the ip address of the machine your hosting on and enter it where you have an option too

Ok I will try that thanks

Advertisement