Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A work in progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I love your quitting is not an option attitude! :D
    +1
    The first thing you must do while in the pool is to relax.
    I know where this is coming from so ... but arguably the easiest thing to say and the hardest thing to do for non fish ;) ... but as you say, critical to try ;)
    Then, if I were your instructor, I would have you hang out in the shallow end of the pool and practice going under water - you could stand there (with or without your hand on the wall) and just drop under the surface of the water, or you could dive after a toy or coins I would throw for you - the purpose would be to get used to your head being immersed and to properly exhale under water.....and if you chose to dive for a toy/coins then you could also practice your underwater kick as a bonus.

+1, DD's background is shining through ... the simple and effective 'acclimatisation' games work on everyone ... and who does'nt love finding money eh ;)
    Next, I would have you practice your kick with the kick board and try and figure out why you are not moving forward very well. I would want to make sure you are holding the kick board properly (nose slightly up out of the water)...and that you are pointing your toes........and that you are kicking from your hips with knees relaxed. I might also have you rollover on your back with your arms extended above your head and hands clasped together (hands facing out, not in) and have you try some backstroke kick.

"I might also have you rollover on your back with your arms extended above your head and hands clasped together (hands facing out, not in) and have you try some backstroke kick. " - before trying that or if it's that step too far initially - 'hug' a kickboard, close to your chest, lie back, look up and behind you, engage the core and push it up to the ceiling and with long legs, pointed toes kick ... but keep the splash sensible - fast shallow feet ;)
    Is 'hugging your teddy' a little inappropriate on boards DD ? Ill let you make that call ;)
    Then I'd have you practice your stroke with a pull buoy. I love a pull buoy because it eliminates the kick (so you have less to think about) and it keeps you hips and lower body properly positioned. Then we'd evaluate your stroke.

Whew!! I think that's my very longwinded way of saying there really aren't any "drills" I would recommend at this stage and in this venue, but rather I would suggest you need to get some one on one sessions with a live instructor - and potentially an instructor who wil get in the pool with you to help with your body position and fear of the head thingy. :) And remember to relax....and also realize that you can stop and grab the wall or lane line any time you like, so there should be no reason you can't put that head underwater to exhale. With your stubborn and positive attitude, you can do anything!!! :)

Edit: another great tool to use for kicking is fins. Fins force you to point your toes, assist with proper technique and certainly will boost you forward. I would find out if your pool will allow you to use fins, then go for it.

So early in the year for such a brilliant post on the step-by-step guide to starting off or getting better quicker. And DD is a little under the weather, so she's probably held back a little as well ;)

Best of luck with your swimming, hope you (or DD) minded my meddling

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Thank you so much DD and Interested, some really great advice there and it almost makes me want to go back to the pool today...but I will leave it until tomorrow :)

My fear isn't of water itself or drowning but just putting my head in water. Goes back to 15+ years of wearing contact lenses in water and protecting them from getting wet!! I still have that attitude even with my new superman eyes and have just forgotten how to swim properly :o.

I think my kicking problem is I'm kicking from the knees and not the hips so some (patient!) practice with a kickboard will help that. I don't think teddy would appreciate a trip to my local pool so I may go and purchase a buoy instead ;)

Do you think I could get away with using a snorkel and fins in the tris - I'd be laughing then :D

One question though - should I stop trying to swim (I use the term loosely!) head-up lengths until I have sorted out the fundamental basics or do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

One question though - should I stop trying to swim (I use the term loosely!) head-up lengths until I have sorted out the fundamental basics or do both.

For sure, if you raise the head, the hips will typically drop - altering your body position in a negative way and literally killing precious momentum each and every time you raise your head to breath/look forward.

Sighting and being able to 'glance' forward in the OW is a useful skill but in reality it not employed at length - since even with a wetsuit on - it alters the body position as above. Coming out of a turn from a buoy and re-determining a line to take to the next turn - you *might* need to take a few strokes with the head up ... or in heavy water / big swells .. stop completely .. wonder 'where in holy f*ck' am I off to now ... before heading off and hoping for the best (based on personal experience on more than one occasion since its better to stop, have a snoop before making a mistake and heading off in completely the wrong direction).

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

^^^^ +1. Couldn't have said it better!

Thanks again, I guess I'll be having some fun in the pool tomorrow :cool:. I have also sourced some beginner improver lessons and should be starting in 2 weeks.

Thur Jan 10th
    Run Plan: 3 Miles steady with 6x80m strides @ 5km pace
    Actual: 3 Miles steady with 6x100m @ a wishful 5km pace!

Very sad to admit but I was really looking forward to this session. After doing a few weeks of easy running to build back up fitness, it was great to do something different. I enjoyed the steady 3 miles and then picked 2 lamp posts for the strides that looked 80m-ish and set off a 5km-ish pace...neither 80m nor a 5km pace! Loved them and wanted to do lots more but have to stick to the bosses plan :). Such a nice session and wiped away the horror of yesterdays!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

S, if you'd like to hook up for a swim I'd be happy to help you in any way I can, can bring all my swim toys if you want to try stuff out.

And ummm try to drown you, I've a reputation to maintain etc etc ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

S, if you'd like to hook up for a swim I'd be happy to help you in any way I can, can bring all my swim toys if you want to try stuff out.

RQ, you must have the world's largest collection of voodoo dolls!

Thanks again, I guess I'll be having some fun in the pool tomorrow :cool:. I have also sourced some beginner improver lessons and should be starting in 2 weeks.

Thur Jan 10th
    Run Plan: 3 Miles steady with 6x80m strides @ 5km pace
    Actual: 3 Miles steady with 6x100m @ a wishful 5km pace!

Very sad to admit but I was really looking forward to this session. After doing a few weeks of easy running to build back up fitness, it was great to do something different. I enjoyed the steady 3 miles and then picked 2 lamp posts for the strides that looked 80m-ish and set off a 5km-ish pace...neither 80m nor a 5km pace! Loved them and wanted to do lots more but have to stick to the bosses plan :). Such a nice session and wiped away the horror of yesterdays!

Good stuff there S!
    And based on your earlier posts I am never getting into a pool ever again...not even the kiddie pool :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Great tips there from Dory Dory and interested. I'll be trying some of the suggestions out too :)

jcsmum wrote: »

I dunno. I try to be nice and helpful and give a little back to the swimming community and I get abuse from a bloody Kerry woman. :(

• Advertisement

K it's not the the voodoo dolls I'm worried about, it's what sort of toys she plans on bringing to the pool :p

Once we have agreed on the toys though RQ, that would be great and cheers for the offer. Does it mean I need to get a visa for Ballyver tho :eek:

Good stuff there S!
    And based on your earlier posts I am never getting into a pool ever again...not even the kiddie pool :rolleyes:

Ah don't be like that. Come and join RQ and myself :D

K it's not the the voodoo dolls I'm worried about, it's what sort of toys she plans on bringing to the pool :p

Once we have agreed on the toys though RQ, that would be great and cheers for the offer. Does it mean I need to get a visa for Ballyver tho :eek:

paddles (ooooeeeerrrr missus ;) )
    I was going to say I might stretch to going all the way in to town but if you want to come to gangland Dublin theres a pay as you go pool at the top of my road and my own gym lets me bring guests (for an extortionate fee) :pac:
    Ah don't be like that. Come and join RQ and myself :D

I was going to suggest she joins us.

And offer cake.

And tea.

If she's going to be like that though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

How did you get on with the spin today Banner? Heard that the pace was a bit all over the place, hasn't been like this when I was out before! Heard as well that you were wearing shorts for the spin!! Bit cold for that out there!

Sat Jan 12th
    Cycle

Joined up with a club today for my first group cycle. Headed off with the beginner group and was a bit nervous as I didn't know what to expect and knew nothing about group cycling. Lovely group of people and already picking up some valuable tips. At times the pace was a tad bit fast and some of us struggled to hold on to main group but in general really enjoyed it. Apart from the short turn at the front which nearly killed me :o Looking forward to getting out on more cycles now :D
    Distance: 58km odd
    Avg speed: 26/27 kph
    joey100 wrote: »
    How did you get on with the spin today Banner? Heard that the pace was a bit all over the place, hasn't been like this when I was out before! Heard as well that you were wearing shorts for the spin!! Bit cold for that out there!

Yeah a bit tough at times but really glad I went. Shorts were grand but a wee bit cold when we stopped. Long pants are on the shopping list alright and will be throwing the running tights on next week!

Group cycling is the best. You'll never look back now banner :)

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Group cycling is the best. You'll never look back now banner :)

Cheers SB8. Next I need to master getting at the water bottle whilst on the move :D.

Cheers SB8. Next I need to master getting at the water bottle whilst on the move :D.

I'm still shakey at that even after a year of practice:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Yeah a bit tough at times but really glad I went. Shorts were grand but a wee bit cold when we stopped. Long pants are on the shopping list alright and will be throwing the running tights on next week!

Fair play on getting out with the group. I found it a bit like the first day at a new school when I went down but they were all really friendly which helped massively.

Leg warmers could be an option? http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLRLLW/red_level_leg_warmers

Fair play on getting out with the group. I found it a bit like the first day at a new school when I went down but they were all really friendly which helped massively.

Leg warmers could be an option? http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLRLLW/red_level_leg_warmers

Yeah that's exactly how I felt , hummed and hawed about getting out of the leaba to head there. But it did make it much easier going in a group and I need to improve my bike skills so the perfect place to learn.

Good cycling on the intermediate group there. Was that your group arriving at the coffee shop as we were leaving? Looked like that group had gone mountain biking with the muck all over them :eek:

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

• Advertisement

Sun Jan 13th

Run Plan: 6 easy miles
    Actual: 6.18 miles

This was a cold one and I can't say I enjoyed the first few miles. I thought my legs would be tired after Saturdays cycle but it was actually my neck that was hurting. I think my helmet is the problem as it's a MTB one so I've removed the visor to see if that helps me not to strain as much. Anyway back to the running, in the end this was very relaxing and I took it nice and handy as prescribed.

Mon Jan 14th

Cycle: 60 min Turbo Session

I was in foul form after work so instead of the prescribed rest day I hit the turbo...purely in the interest of the health and safety of those around me :rolleyes:. Stuck on episode 2 of Africa, picked a tough session and off I took. It did the trick although somebody should have warned me about the Elephant scene :(
    Distance: 31.78km

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Yeah that's exactly how I felt , hummed and hawed about getting out of the leaba to head there. But it did make it much easier going in a group and I need to improve my bike skills so the perfect place to learn.

Good cycling on the intermediate group there. Was that your group arriving at the coffee shop as we were leaving? Looked like that group had gone mountain biking with the muck all over them :eek:

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

I think that was us. I parked my bike as close to the door as I could and was first in. Some people went to get a wash :eek: They're not hardcore - I needed my coffee:)

You know I'm so wrapped up in my own little world of xc that I forgot to see what you got up to at the weekend. You go girl with your group cycle but don't forget about us :(;)

I think that was us. I parked my bike as close to the door as I could and was first in. Some people went to get a wash :eek: They're not hardcore - I needed my coffee:)

I'm impressed and you def have your priorities straight :)
    You know I'm so wrapped up in my own little world of xc that I forgot to see what you got up to at the weekend. You go girl with your group cycle but don't forget about us :(;)

XC, never heard of it, what's that :rolleyes:.
    No fear, you ain't getting rid of me that easy!

Wed Jan 16th

Run Plan: 4 miles - 3 easy with last mile hard
    Actual: 4 miles as above

Messed up the plan here and did the wrong session but hey ho! Not the nicest conditions for this, raining, windy and cold. Thankfully for the last mile I had the wind at my back so it made the hard mile alot easier. Runners and socks drenched from the frigging puddles but I'm a big kid and I love puddle hopping :)

Swim...a work in progress
    Mon, Tues, Wed...

I set myself a challenge at the start of the week. HTFU and learn to swim by the end of this week! So 3 days in I have made it to the pool each day to get stuck in. Its a slow process but I am making some progress. I focused first on the breast stroke as it's the easiest to master.
    Happy to report that I no longer look like a blue rinse and did 750m proper head-under this evening. Not perfect but a nice comfortable session. So at least I know I can use that to get through the tri if my crawl fails :rolleyes:
    Tomorrow I turn my attention to the front crawl and I have 3 days to master that!! Bring it on :)
    BTW thanks to Dory and Interested for the tips, helped me heaps.

Your attitude towards the swimming is excellent Banner, you will be flying it in no time. You're going to kick my arse in the NTipp Sprint!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

You'll be growing gills and a fin next!! :D

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Your attitude towards the swimming is excellent Banner, you will be flying it in no time. You're going to kick my arse in the NTipp Sprint!

Eh nope I don't think so, you 'll def be kicking mine :). There better be a glass of wine at the end of it tho ;)
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    You'll be growing gills and a fin next!! :D

Ah here baby steps but as long as they match my tri suit :cool:

Thurs Jan 17th

Swim...

1 step forward, 2 steps back! Combination of me being knackered and being a bit of perfectionist made this session a slog. Just not happy with the breast stroke being passable. I broke down the technique and think I know where I am going wrong so just need to practice it. Started on the front crawl too and getting to grips with that.
    500m lengths and about 20 mins messing around.

Friday Jan 18th

Run Plan: 4 Miles easy with 6x80m strides
    Actual: 4 miles easy with 6x80m strides

Yowsa what a night out and cursed the fact I had this session to do. One "nice" passer-by here told me I was a mad b**ch and had I anything better to do on a Friday eve!. Funnily enough I started to enjoy the session after that :D. Did the strides in the middle of it as I was afraid to leave them till to the end in case I couldn't be bothered and legged it in to a nice warm house!
    A soggy wet enjoyable session.

• Advertisement

So today was my first adventure in the world of multi sport. Hands up and say I probably bit off more than I should have after only 3 weeks training :rolleyes: But today was a huge learning experience and I can have no regrets over that.
    To say I was nervous would be an understatement, just completely out of my comfort zone but everybody has to start somewhere. The snow/hailstones didn't do anything for my confidence either!!

Format was 3.5km/20km/3.5km

Run 1
    Strategy here was to do this comfortably and get around without killing myself. It more or less went to plan but it was baltic out and my hands were freezing (lesson # 1)
    Run Time: 17:01

T1
    Horrendous is all I'll say. Had no clue what to expect from a transitition and this was a mess! My hands were so cold I couldn't tie the helmet straps, swap shoes or get my cycle gloves on. (lesson #2 linked to lesson #1!)
    T1 Time: 2:03 :eek::eek:

Bike
    I made a pigs arse of this and no excuses for it. The first half to Blessington was a drag with a nice chilly wind in the face. I had taken my hat off at T1 with the result my ears were frozen, bad move :mad:.
    My main problem here was that I was keeping pace with the people around me and just wasn't thinking of time. I was more worried about the drafting rule as I had never experienced that before and kept back from people. As I came into Blessington after first half, I realised this strategy was all wrong. So I put the hammer down coming out of Blessington and just went for it. 2nd half was much better but the really slow first half just destroyed this leg.
    Bike Time: 47:32 (gutted with this :o)

T2
    Another f**king disaster. It was a long run in to the rack and I need to practice running in my cleats in transitions, simple as. I was afraid of slipping in the cleats so I walked :rolleyes:.
    T2: 02:07

Run 2:

This was by far my toughest leg and I hated every step of it :o. I just couldn't catch my breath for the first few minutes which has never happened to me before. I'm not sure if it was the cold or what but I had to stop and walk for about 10 secs to try and breath properly. Once I started again it was just one foot in front of the other and get around the course.
    The maddening thing too was people I had passed on the bike started reeling me in and passing on by...aaaggghhh
    Run 2: 20:09 :eek:

Overall time: 1:28:56

I am bitterly disappointed with my time and some real rookie mistakes out there. However the purpose of today was to get some experience early on so I know what I am dealing with. I will learn from those mistakes today and hopefully won't make them again!

I know my report is fairly negative but today was a really good experience and I do not regret in any way swapping over to multisport. If anything it motivates me more to get out there and train for this properly. Onwards and upwards as they say :)

Advertisement