Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A work in progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

Well done today Banner. At least you made it the whole way around! From looking at other peoples times your runs seem consistent, most people added 2 minutes to their second run, and with this being your first race running from the bike that's good. Well done on doing your first multi sport race, plenty of positives to take from it, and don't worry about the transitions, they get quicker the more you do them. The weather didn't make them any easier either, was talking to few people who couldn't decide if they shud wear gloves or not, most struggled getting the helmets off with them. But like you said plenty to take and learn from, it does get easier though!

Might see you next Saturday at the club open day!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

joey100 wrote: »
    Well done today Banner. At least you made it the whole way around! From looking at other peoples times your runs seem consistent, most people added 2 minutes to their second run, and with this being your first race running from the bike that's good. Well done on doing your first multi sport race, plenty of positives to take from it, and don't worry about the transitions, they get quicker the more you do them. The weather didn't make them any easier either, was talking to few people who couldn't decide if they shud wear gloves or not, most struggled getting the helmets off with them. But like you said plenty to take and learn from, it does get easier though!

Might see you next Saturday at the club open day!

Thanks Joey, sure the next race can't be any worse :) Yeah I plan on dropping in after the club cycle next week so might see you there. What time will the stand be there until?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Well done, like you said already today was a rough day weather wise, I had the same problem trying to pin the number onto my top today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

This is your starting point. Remember that. It only gets easier. I congratulate you and say well done!! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done again S. Tough day for it and you sacrified a piss up for it. Brave woman. ;)

Transitions take time to get used to. I purposely took my time in them as I knew that if I rushed I'd make a mess of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Woohoo well done on your first duathlon! You will have learned so much today, every race you do you learn something. That second run off the bike is such a toughie. Fair play to you!:D Delighted to hear it hasnt turned you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done Shaz. Things can only get better. Think back to your first road race! I'll have to google some of this tri lingo - what the hell are 'cleats' :)

Thanks for the encouragement folks, I appreciate it. A day full of highs and lows but time to move on from it and get stuck into training.

Mon Jan 21st

Rest day - trying to structure my week better and get into a proper routine so I forced myself to chill yesterday and designate Mondays as rest days.

Tues Jan 22nd
    Run Plan: 5 miles easy
    Actual: 5 miles easy

To be honest I wasn't looking forward to this but at the same time I just wanted to banish the demons from Sunday. Thought I was a right hard one out running this cold eve but then I passed a bloke in a t-shirt and shorts :eek:...yikes!!
    Anyway a great run and really cleared the head so it worked a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well Done on Sunday Banner. Every race is a learning curve so no worries!!! Onwards and upwards......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Well Done Banner, you did fantastic for your first race.... those times are solid and nothing to be laughed at, and look at the experience you've gained for your next race!! onwards and upwards- keep the head up and look forward to the next race........every race is a learning curve. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Younganne wrote: »
    Well Done on Sunday Banner. Every race is a learning curve so no worries!!! Onwards and upwards......:D

Sorry Younganne- i actually wrote my comment before even reading yours-- a bit of repetition there- sure you know what they say- great minds think alike :D:D:D
    .........................................and fools seldom differ ;)

Trig1 wrote: »
    Sorry Younganne- i actually wrote my comment before even reading yours-- a bit of repetition there- sure you know what they say- great minds think alike :D:D:D
    .........................................and fools seldom differ ;)

:) Thanks Anne and Trig. I'm going with the great minds think alike theory ;)

Wed Jan 23rd

Just one of those days where nothing goes to plan. Had decided to try make Wednesdays a double session day - lunch time swim and an evening session on the turbo.

Swim...

Off to the pool at lunch which I hadn't tried before as I usually don't get a lunch break. Nothing came together in the pool today. I just couldn't co-ordinate stroke and breathing and was really struggling. I had said to the guys in the pool to let me know if a place became available in their swim classes. So when lifeguard told me I was in and start tomorrow night, she didn't even have time to finish her sentence before I was out and into the jacuzzi.
    Jacuzzi 1 Swim 0 :rolleyes:
    Distance: 420m

Turbo Session

Came home after work and was looking forward to a good turbo session. All set up and ready to go but then my bloody Derailleur finally gave up. I have been having some trouble with it but thought I had fixed it. I haven't a bogs how to fix it now so need to drop down to bike shop tomorrow before long spin on Sat.

Couch 1 Turbo 0 :rolleyes:

See I should have stayed in bed...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

no need to have stayed in bed....you made the effort and that counts for a lot too!:D

Came home after work and was looking forward to a good turbo session. All set up and ready to go but then my bloody Derailleur finally gave up. I have been having some trouble with it but thought I had fixed it. I haven't a bogs how to fix it now so need to drop down to bike shop tomorrow before long spin on Sat.

Couch 1 Turbo 0 :rolleyes:

See I should have stayed in bed...

Yeah surrrrre the Derailleur is broken Shaz..... :rolleyes:

jcsmum wrote: »
    Yeah surrrrre the Derailleur is broken Shaz..... :rolleyes:

:D...nothing else to be said...

Time to update...

Thur Jan 24th

Run: 4 Miles easy with 6x80m strides
    Actual: 4 easy with 6x80-ish

I don't remember too much about this run so it must have been fine. I do like strides though, nice bit of variety and I threw them in the middle of the run again.

Fri Jan 25th

Swim

Just not feeling the love for swimming this week and really need to try harder on this. Away next week with work so I'm just going to bring swim gear which will force me into the pool...unless the hotel sports bar tempts me first :rolleyes:

Sat Jan 26th
    Club Cycle

The bike doctor fixed up Tommy (my bike!!) so time to take him out on the road this morn. Really enjoyed this cycle with the group and it felt so much easier than the last group cycle. Think I'm learning to use my gears alot better and smoother spinning.
    Distance: 55km

Sun Jan 27th
    Run: 5 Miles Steady
    Actual: 5 miles - 1@10kmP, 2@HMP, 1@10kmP & 1@PMP

I had signed up for Raheny a while ago but knew I was in no shape to race this. So instead of being piddled off at a poor result, I had decided to do it as a training run only. Boss told me 5 miles steady which worked for me. Met lots of A/R boardsies at the start and we cursed the rain and wind! Some had their eyes on a PB but some of us had our eyes on a bigger prize...the infamous Raheny Goody bags :D
    Started with Rachel but lost her during the hectic start. Soon I also realised that unless I had a strict plan I was going to try and race this. So I broke up the race into sections with 10km, HM and planned marathon pace miles. It worked a treat and kept me from trying to speed up.
    Some great runs by the gang in tough conditions so well done all.

Now off to raid my goody bag...rumours of a big mint aero bar with my name on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Now off to raid my goody bag...rumours of a big mint aero bar with my name on it :)

I hear MarthaStew got an orange one, soooo jealous! Good to see you today :)

Well done on being so strong- willed today banner. It must have been tough to hold yourself back from racing.

Your training is going really well. Dont worry about not having much love for the swimming this week. I went through many weeks like that last year but it always comes back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

we cursed the rain and wind!

Not just me then:)

• Advertisement

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Well done on being so strong- willed today banner. It must have been tough to hold yourself back from racing.

Your training is going really well. Dont worry about not having much love for the swimming this week. I went through many weeks like that last year but it always comes back :)

Yeah it was really hard not to race it and goes against every competitive bone in my body :rolleyes:. I couldn't do it very often! Although being brutally honest, if I had raced it I'm not sure how much quicker I would have been :o

A crap weeks training with life work getting in the way...again. A sum total of 2 crappy runs and 2 cycles.

Mon Jan 28th

60 min turbo session

Tuesday Jan 29th

3 miles steady with 6x80 strides.

Wednesday Jan 30th

Hotel gym session

Thur, Fri...nada

Sat Feb 2nd

Club cycle was cancelled so met up with some members for our own session. Thanks to Joey100 for dragging us around and being on-hand for puncture repair if required :). A really enjoyable cycle and a lovely morning for it.
    50km

Seen as I had only done 1 run this week, had to get out for another after the cycle. So a horrible 5 mile easy run once I got home. Legs were kinda tired and I just wanted to be on the couch watching the match.

Sun...nada

Ok I've been going on (and on) about how much I hate swimming for the last month now. So a "wise" person suggested I should give Adventure Races a go instead and focus less on triathlons (or swimming in particular!). Honestly I had never thought of doing them so after doing a bit of research, realised they sounded good and exactly what I was looking for. So am going to focus on a few target AR's for next few months and put triathlons on the back burner for the moment. I will definitely do one (or 2) this year but just not in the next few months.
    So lots of cycling, running and hills in the plan for the next few months :)

Ok I've been going on (and on) about how much I hate swimming for the last month now. So a "wise" person suggested I should give Adventure Races a go instead and focus less on triathlons (or swimming in particular!). Honestly I had never thought of doing them so after doing a bit of research, realised they sounded good and exactly what I was looking for. So am going to focus on a few target AR's for next few months and put triathlons on the back burner for the moment. I will definitely do one (or 2) this year but just not in the next few months.

Wise? You mean crazy right? ;)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Wise? You mean crazy right? ;)

I did put it in quotes! But crazy is also another widely used word for that person :D

Mon Feb 4th

Plan: 5 miles easy
    Actual: 5 miles steady

Some runs are just horrible and others are great fun...this was one of those crazy great fun runs. Mental weather out and I never knew what was going to hit me next. First mile was dry with the wind at my back but then it turned crazy after that. Rain, hailstones, sleet, snow, wind, thundersnow...and I loved it. It should have been an easy run but lets just categorise it as a steady run...sorry boss! Drenched afterwards but nothing a nice hot cuppa didn't cure :).

Tues Feb 5th

Turbo Session - 63 mins

I finally laid my hands on the Friel & Hobson Indoor Workouts. Knew I had them filed away somewhere "safe" after a nice boardsie gave them to me last year! Anyway I hit the Rolling Hilly Course endurance session with the music blaring. A nice session but computer on the blink so I think I may have overcooked the required RPM

Ohhh how exciting!! You should think about doing what I did- Baby Mac in Milstreet, you would win it like I did:p:D

I'm doing the Connemara Adventure Challenge in May again this year. It was brill last year. You should consider it.

Sad ur not coming to stay for North Tipp Sprint though :(

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Ohhh how exciting!! You should think about doing what I did- Baby Mac in Milstreet, you would win it like I did:p:D

I'm doing the Connemara Adventure Challenge in May again this year. It was brill last year. You should consider it.

Sad ur not coming to stay for North Tipp Sprint though :(

I looked at Connemara but the only thing that is putting me off is that they say a road bike is not suitable. My hybrid was knicked a couple of months ago :mad: What did you use?
    Milstreet slightly too far methinks so your record is safe :D

I was thinking of a Wicklow based race in April which I believe is taboo around these parts...

• Advertisement

Wed Feb 6th

Plan: 3 Steady with 6x80m strides
    Actual: 3 Steady with 6x100m strides

So nice to be doing something different than easy miles and I really enjoyed the session. Picked 2 lamp posts for the strides so slightly over the prescribed 80m! I had an audience of a local drunk for the strides :rolleyes: Bless he offered me one of his Dutch Gold tinnies when I was finished proclaiming he was knackered watching me and I deserved a drink! I politely declined :)

Advertisement