Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A work in progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

How could you turn down Dutch gold its the best drink on the market for re-hydration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I had an audience of a local drunk for the strides :rolleyes: Bless he offered me one of his Dutch Gold tinnies when I was finished proclaiming he was knackered watching me and I deserved a drink! I politely declined :)

God, you're such a snob! :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

I looked at Connemara but the only thing that is putting me off is that they say a road bike is not suitable. My hybrid was knicked a couple of months ago :mad: What did you use?

That sucks about the stolen bike, how annoying!!

I used my hybrid. Some people did use road bikes but there were lots and lots of punctures and from what I saw it was those with road bikes who got them. The first half of the cycle is on a very gravelly trail, lots of little sharp stones. Second half is on the main road so if you make it there without a puncture you're flying it. I just wouldnt chance it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

you still training? Its been awhile!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Trig1 wrote: »
    you still training? Its been awhile!

:D I was just coming on to update as I realised it's been a while! I'm still training, just been incredibly lazy at updating the log and reading boards. Must try harder and cheers for the prompt :)

• Advertisement

...if I can remember the sessions!

Thurs Feb 7th

Gym session if I remember correctly with some bike work, rowing machine and weights.

Sat Feb 9th
    Run: Progression Run 5 Miles
    Actual: 5 miles with pace all over the place!

I was heading away for the w-end so I didn't have alot of time to fit this in. Plan was 1 easy, 1 steady, 1 MP, 1 HMP and 1 10Km. I didn't have a clear idea in my head of that the exact paces should be before I headed out. So that coupled with time pressures meant it wasn't the most structured of runs! Sorry boss!

Sun Feb 10th

Meant to do a cycle when I got back home on my new hybrid but I was dying...self inflicted to I took to the couch instead :rolleyes:.

Mon Feb 11th
    Turbo Session - 65 mins

Tore into a turbo session from Friel and Hobson almost killing myself in the process. I blame it on the guilt from yesterday. Good session though!

Tuesday Feb 12th
    Run Plan: 4 Steady with 6 x 100m strides
    Actual: 4 steady with 10 x 100m strides

After a quick chat with the boss on pacing I was determined to be more disciplined in sticking to prescribed paces. This meant I actually discovered how to use the Garmin backlight :rolleyes:. 4 Miles steady were grand but I completely messed up the number of strides. I just wasn't paying attention and completely lost count of where I was. So I restarted the set and did the prescribed no...again. All were a fairly consistent pace which I was happy about.

Wednesday Feb 13th
    Plan: 90 min Gym
    Actual: 90 min turbo session

I got lazy after work and headed home instead of going to the gym but then the guilt got to me. So I decided on a complete makey-uppey turbo session while the match was on. A shot on goal meant an all sprint for 5 mins on a medium slope, a foul meant high slope for 5 mins constant...yaddie yada. Like I say completely made up! Half time was for getting some water into me and a loo break! I was knackered after the 2 halves but it was good fun. Will prob try and repeat it for the return leg.

Thurs Feb 14th
    Plan: 4 Mile Progression Run
    Actual: 4 Miles @ 1 Easy, 1 MP, 1 HMP & 1 10km

I was much more disciplined on this run with regards to pace and had the paces set in my head before I went out. First 2 were the toughest as they were uphill and into the wind. A good session but my legs were slightly tired from the turbo the night before.

Fri Feb 15th

Rest day...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Lovelovelove your makey-uppy turbo session!!! Brilliant! Creative!! Well done!! :D

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Lovelovelove your makey-uppy turbo session!!! Brilliant! Creative!! Well done!! :D

I can tell you I wasn't calling myself brilliant or creative during the session and was praying for the most boring footie match in history :rolleyes: It was different and good fun though :)

Sat Feb 16th
    Group Cycle

Off out on the group cycle today. Some "lovely" neighbours a few doors up were still partying at 06:30 this morning so I was pretty tired when I was getting up for it and had some second thoughts! Not many turned up for the beginners group so I'm not sure if the group will go on for much longer. We started with 5 including the mentor but 5 became 3 within 1/2 hour after punctures and a niggle so 3 of us kept going.
    It was a tough cycle with a smaller group into a head wind the whole way around. We also had inadvertently picked up the pace on the last few weeks so it made for an interesting cycle. It was a really good and a couple of lung bursting drags. I enjoy that though and I feel like I am getting stronger on the bike.
    If the beginner group does finish up I'm not sure what to do. The next group up avg about 100km with a faster pace on a Sat and that is probably too big a jump for me at my current fitness. Really hoping I can get another few weeks with the beginners before going up a group.

Distance: 60km-ish (Garmin went at 50km but pretty sure we had another 10km after that)

Sun Feb 17th
    Run Plan: 7 Miles
    Actual: 7.5 Miles

Met up with Sunflower for a run around the park with a warning she was in for a slow one! It's been a long time since I was in for a run there and it was nice to have the company and be in the park again. Not the easiest 7 I was hoping for as she insisted on every hill we could find :). Nah it was fine but my legs just felt dead and only started to liven up at about mile 6. Got back to the car at around 7.34 so my OCD made me round it up to 7.5. Lovely day out and I have missed the park. Also highlighted how unfit I am at the moment but patience is required...something which I don't have!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

If the beginner group does finish up I'm not sure what to do. The next group up avg about 100km with a faster pace on a Sat and that is probably too big a jump for me at my current fitness. Really hoping I can get another few weeks with the beginners before going up a group.

I think it was just a bad week for numbers and once spring comes there will be a good few more out - I can't see the beginners being axed and they're doing a leaders rota up for the next few months at least. There was a fairly big turn out at the shop but once it split down it seemed every group was smaller than usual. There was no intermediates it was race training instead and we only had 12-13 instead of the usual 30ish

• Advertisement

I think it was just a bad week for numbers and once spring comes there will be a good few more out - I can't see the beginners being axed and they're doing a leaders rota up for the next few months at least. There was a fairly big turn out at the shop but once it split down it seemed every group was smaller than usual. There was no intermediates it was race training instead and we only had 12-13 instead of the usual 30ish

Ah I hope so, I want to move up to sportive but prob need a few more quicker 60kms under the belt first. BTW only thought of it afterwards but was that your OH out with me and if so how is her back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Ah I hope so, I want to move up to sportive but prob need a few more quicker 60kms under the belt first. BTW only thought of it afterwards but was that your OH out with me and if so how is her back?

Yep, that was she. Her backs still giving her a bit of grief today but nothing major - I think it's just getting used to a new position on the bike (as well as two slipped discs).

Sun Feb 17th
    Run Plan: 7 Miles
    Actual: 7.5 Miles

Met up with Sunflower for a run around the park with a warning she was in for a slow one! It's been a long time since I was in for a run there and it was nice to have the company and be in the park again. Not the easiest 7 I was hoping for as she insisted on every hill we could find :). Nah it was fine but my legs just felt dead and only started to liven up at about mile 6. Got back to the car at around 7.34 so my OCD made me round it up to 7.5. Lovely day out and I have missed the park. Also highlighted how unfit I am at the moment but patience is required...something which I don't have!

She found the hills did she? No surprise there. :rolleyes:

Yep, that was she. Her backs still giving her a bit of grief today but nothing major - I think it's just getting used to a new position on the bike (as well as two slipped discs).

Hope it clears up soon and she's back out on Sat.
    jcsmum wrote: »
    She found the hills did she? No surprise there. :rolleyes:

Sure what we need is some nice volunteer to keep us on the straight and flat for these easy paced runs ;)

Mon Feb 18th

Unscheduled rest day due to a dodgy back. I don't like unscheduled rest days :mad:

Tues Feb 19th
    Run Plan: 1 mile easy, 8 x 1 min on/1 min off (on@5km pace/off @easy), 1 mile easy
    Actual: As above - too lazy to re-type!

I decided to chance this to see how the back would hold up. It seems to be a pulled muscle but it's difficult to breath with it so I knew I was taking a chance but couldn't do 2 days on the couch.
    So I picked a route with a get-out-clause if needed (i.e. a shortcut home to the couch!). First mile was ok-ish so decided to keep going with the session. I found the first 4 5km repeats tough as I couldn't take deep breaths so couldn't control my breathing (pace was spot on tho). But then settled into a rhythm of shallow breathing and the next set of repeats were great but too fast. Must remember that breathing trick for a race!! Mile back home was grand and a tad bit fast too. Back no better but no worse either so the session was worth it and what a fab evening for a run :D

Hope the back feels better soon banner. Why oh why do we keep getting these stupid niggles!!! Aaghh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

^^^ What she said! Mind the back. :)

Cheers ladies, one of these frustrating "no idea how it happened" injuries!

Wed Feb 20th
    Turbo Session

Ignored the back and hopped on the turbo for a 60 min session. All I can say is thank god the yoga mat was under the bike to catch the sweat (see how I make good use of this mat!!). Yikes but this was a toughie! I left it on a hard gear & slope and did the TV Special from Friel and Hobson. I should have picked a US program to watch with lots of ad breaks but nope I choose one with hardly anything and made the mistake of leaving the remote far away from me :rolleyes:. Rookie move!

Took me about 10 mins to try straighten up and get off the bike afterwards with the back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Cheers ladies, one of these frustrating "no idea how it happened" injuries!

Wed Feb 20th
    Turbo Session

Ignored the back and hopped on the turbo for a 60 min session. All I can say is thank god the yoga mat was under the bike to catch the sweat (see how I make good use of this mat!!). Yikes but this was a toughie! I left it on a hard gear & slope and did the TV Special from Friel and Hobson. I should have picked a US program to watch with lots of ad breaks but nope I choose one with hardly anything and made the mistake of leaving the remote far away from me :rolleyes:. Rookie move!

Took me about 10 mins to try straighten up and get off the bike afterwards with the back :(

hope the back is better, doesn't sound easy being on the bike in that position with it....mind it!!! i have asimilar miggle mid back and 2 hrs bowling didn't help and i could feel it throughout Pilates but its just there annoying me but not stopping me IYKWIM, like yours!!

Are you doing Bohermeen next weekend? we need a catch- up?

Younganne wrote: »
    hope the back is better, doesn't sound easy being on the bike in that position with it....mind it!!! i have asimilar miggle mid back and 2 hrs bowling didn't help and i could feel it throughout Pilates but its just there annoying me but not stopping me IYKWIM, like yours!!

Are you doing Bohermeen next weekend? we need a catch- up?

Ah we're tough cookies Anne, ain't gonna let some back pain get in the way ;). Not doing Bohermeen but from the looks of the conversation on FB may see you on Mar 9th?

• Advertisement

Thur Feb 21st

Run Plan: 4 Miles PMP
    Actual: 4 Miles slightly faster than PMP

Yeah not a good run but I hate being a moany cow so will shut up. Admittedly though the only reason I got through the 4 miles was because I didn't have any money to pay the bus driver to bring me back home :(...And whoever said "pain is just temporary weakness leaving the body" deserves a good kicking! That saying was all that was going through my head for the run.
    On a positive note apart from the back, this felt like a very easy run if that makes any sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Ah we're tough cookies Anne, ain't gonna let some back pain get in the way ;). Not doing Bohermeen but from the looks of the conversation on FB may see you on Mar 9th?
    I have no access to FB for the past 2 weeks as our phone line was knocked and no sign of it being repaired!! Customer service in this country has gone to the dogs....Text me details if you get a chance, pls!!!

Thur Feb 21st

On a positive note apart from the back, this felt like a very easy run if that makes any sense!

That makes no sense atall :rolleyes:. I'm sure Ro will let you borrow her chair - sharing is caring.

Hey Banner. What's the story? How's the training going? We miss you :)

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Hey Banner. What's the story? How's the training going? We miss you :)

Story is I managed to pick up a couple of bruised ribs so taking a break from training for the mo while I learn how to breathe again!
    And NO it wasn't swinging from the lamp-shades or wardrobe before someone comments - yes Younganne I am talking about you :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Story is I managed to pick up a couple of bruised ribs so taking a break from training for the mo while I learn how to breathe again!
    And NO it wasn't swinging from the lamp-shades or wardrobe before someone comments - yes Younganne I am talking about you :rolleyes:

What's his name?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Hate to see how the other person turned out.
    Hope you recover soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Hey Banner how is recovery going?? you back training yet?

I'm back - well a much slower, fatter and unfit version of me!!

Ribs are sorted and I can breathe again which is useful at the best of times not to mind when exercising :rolleyes:. Still going to chiropractor for the back but it has definitely improved so fingers crossed.

Currently working on getting back into the running and gym sessions to get the fitness back up. Running sessions are short and easy at the moment. I haven't been on the bike in a long while and missing it. Hope to get out for a short spin at the w-end. Sportive season is kicking off and I can't be missing those!

Not sure if these boards logs jinx me so we'll see if I keep the log up :)

• Advertisement

I'm back - well a much slower, fatter and unfit version of me!!

Ribs are sorted and I can breathe again which is useful at the best of times not to mind when exercising :rolleyes:. Still going to chiropractor for the back but it has definitely improved so fingers crossed.

Currently working on getting back into the running and gym sessions to get the fitness back up. Running sessions are short and easy at the moment. I haven't been on the bike in a long while and missing it. Hope to get out for a short spin at the w-end. Sportive season is kicking off and I can't be missing those!

Not sure if these boards logs jinx me so we'll see if I keep the log up :)

yay, she's back :D (again!)

All joking aside, hope you remain injury free, I like racing road trips :)

Advertisement