Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog on dublin bus?

• 31-12-2012 4:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

I read on citizen information:

"Animals other than guide dogs are carried on Dublin bus services at the discretion of the driver. According the by-laws governing Dublin Bus, you cannot bring an animal onto the bus if an authorised person (i.e., driver or inspector) asks you not to do so."

do you have experiences?
    If I go with my puppy, on lead and with the muzzle, there are chanches that they don't let us go?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

jsabina wrote: »
    I read on citizen information:

"Animals other than guide dogs are carried on Dublin bus services at the discretion of the driver. According the by-laws governing Dublin Bus, you cannot bring an animal onto the bus if an authorised person (i.e., driver or inspector) asks you not to do so."

do you have experiences?
    If I go with my puppy, on lead and with the muzzle, there are chanches that they don't let us go?

thanks!

If you have a muzzle on him I'd say your chances of getting on ZERO - people assume a muzzle means the dog is vicious. Unethical but you could say its an assistance puppy in training and you forgot his vest? We get asked a lot if our dogs (my retriever and my friend with her red setter) are guide/service/therapy dogs when they have their Julius K9 harnesses on lol... Which we find hilarious because the patients would need therapy if we brought them into a home/hospital!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

Ah no no then no muzzle!
    I don't even have one.. I just thought because in italy you can bring your dog on the train only if they have the muzzle on..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

You may be allowed bring a dog on intercity trains (in the guard's van), but they're much stricter with buses. Nothing to do with the dog's temperament or behaviour, I believe they won't let dogs on buses in case someone with allergies reacts to the dog, even after the dog has got off the bus. I'm guessing they've been threatened with litigation before.

DBB wrote: »
    You may be allowed bring a dog on intercity trains (in the guard's van), but they're much stricter with buses. Nothing to do with the dog's temperament or behaviour, I believe they won't let dogs on buses in case someone with allergies reacts to the dog, even after the dog has got off the bus. I'm guessing they've been threatened with litigation before.

ok thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

A carry case a blanket put over it should get you past the driver. Simply sit towards the back, remove the blanket and keep it on your knees and you should be grand.

• Advertisement

pithater1 wrote: »
    A carry case a blanket put over it should get you past the driver. Simply sit towards the back, remove the blanket and keep it on your knees and you should be grand.

mmh if it's not allowed I don't want the risk..
    then the puppy will grow big and it will be difficult anyway in few months :D

thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Joke. a scanger claiming to be blind gets on the bus with a mangy terrier, get offf says the driver ,I thought they gave blind people german shepards.
    What did the give me says your man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

You need to ask the driver. We asked a few of them some time ago as we planned a few trips that would be better done on the bus; every single one said "depends on the driver, I would let you on but other drivers may not". I would carry the puppy in your arms on a lead and in a blanket or something (so that it's clear it won't be jumping around or annoying anyone) and I think you have a good chance. The dog we were asking about was an adult lab BTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Years ago I never had a problem bringing a dog on Dublin Bus...had a collie/lab and a JRT on it (not at the same time). However, things seem to have changed in recent years. It seems that more and more drivers say no.
    When I found a terrier (who is now mine, long story) straying in college, I bought a lead from the nearest Spar, and tried to get a bus home with him. After three buses refusing me, I gave up and had to get a cab. I have tried the bus once since. I was going up to the vets to get his stitches removed after neutering. He had the e-collar on, and we were refused again (resorted to cab again). Each time, the driver told me that it was Dublin Bus policy not to allow pets and that no driver would take us...even though the official line remains that it is at the driver's discretion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭deadman1972

I guess thats me screwed for bringing a couple of chooks up from Wexford so?;)

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot.
    And is it easy to find a taxi that allow dogs?

Phone a taxi company and ask the dispatcher to send a driver who's ok with a puppy passenger. It's good to have your own little blanket to protect the car from hairs etc. Again we never had a problem after asking but it could have been different with random taxis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I had to take a terrier of mine on the bus to the vets to get a check up after surgery and while I was allowed on the bus on the way out I didn't think the bus driver would let me take him on the way home!! I had deliberately put the buster collar on him too so it'd be obvious that he was not well. On the way out the foreign bus driver was absolutely lovely, it wasn't a problem at all and wished him luck, on the way home the Irish bus driver hmmed and hawed and eventually said "make sure he doesn't bite anyone or sh!te on the bus" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I believe they won't let dogs on buses in case someone with allergies reacts to the dog, even after the dog has got off the bus. I'm guessing they've been threatened with litigation before.

I'd doubt its out of concern for allergies - I mean if someone was allergic to dogs or cats they could well react even if the person sitting next to them was a pet owner and had pet hair on their clothes. In fact on some Dublin Bus routes I would be more concerned about what I would catch from the two legged passengers than any dog on board! More likely it is a concern that they will urinate or defacate on the bus. Imagine the complaints if your dear doggie cocked his leg on a passenger or their weekly shopping! lol I think the drivers just want a quiet life and rather than take a chance and have someone complain they would rather refuse, which I suppose I can appreciate.

Mmmh that's the problem when there are non-civil people..
    In this way people without a car have difficulties getting a dog if they cannot provide transport to the vet / to parks etc..
    sad..
    (I have the car so just thinking about other people)

Little Ted wrote: »
    I'd doubt its out of concern for allergies - I mean if someone was allergic to dogs or cats they could well react even if the person sitting next to them was a pet owner and had pet hair on their clothes. In fact on some Dublin Bus routes I would be more concerned about what I would catch from the two legged passengers than any dog on board! More likely it is a concern that they will urinate or defacate on the bus. Imagine the complaints if your dear doggie cocked his leg on a passenger or their weekly shopping! lol I think the drivers just want a quiet life and rather than take a chance and have someone complain they would rather refuse, which I suppose I can appreciate.

I was not basing my post on supposition. On the couple of occasions that I have had to ask Bus Eireann about bringing dogs on buses, I was told directly by the managers, and drivers, that they would not take dogs on board because of concern for allergies amongst other passengers. Nobody ever mentioned problems around the dog going to the toilet, or indeed biting anyone.

I was not basing my post on supposition. On the couple of occasions that I have had to ask Bus Eireann about bringing dogs on buses, I was told directly by the managers, and drivers, that they would not take dogs on board because of concern for allergies amongst other passengers. Nobody ever mentioned problems around the dog going to the toilet, or indeed biting anyone.

and there could be no possibility that what they say and what they mean are two different things? if they say your dog might poo/bite blah blah you might decide to argue the toss with the driver. But if they say other users might be allergic there isn't really a lot you can say is there? Its not like you can survey all the passengers and check if they actually have an allergy. It's just a more convenient excuse.

Little Ted wrote: »
    and there could be no possibility that what they say and what they mean are two different things? if they say your dog might poo/bite blah blah you might decide to argue the toss with the driver. But if they say other users might be allergic there isn't really a lot you can say is there? Its not like you can survey all the passengers and check if they actually have an allergy. It's just a more convenient excuse.

I'm not arguing the rights and wrongs of it! I'm simply posting to tell the OP the reason I have been given, on more than one occasion, for why they won't allow dogs on buses.
    If you'd like to argue the above points with anyone, perhaps give Dublin Bus and /or Bus Eireann a call.

Ok, keep yer hair on!

:rolleyes:
    You made (wrong) assumptions about a post I made, I corrected you, and you tell me to keep my hair on?
    *snort*
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

<snip>

Mod note: Please don't drag this thread off topic any further.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Despite the nazi policies in place & it being virtually impossible for people with pets & without cars to get anywhere " faraway" with them ;I have been extremely lucky with taxis! I have a big dog & a few times have needed a taxi when out with her ; in every case I called the dispatcher; calmly said I was stranded with well behaved well trained dog & could she check what car would take a dog & one duly arrived every time. I always mention that the dog is clean & will stay on the floor / footwell and not sit on the seat.

I've never had a delay or problem ordering them this way! Usually give the taxi guy a few euro tip to keep the goodwill going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

OP ; my friends live in town & have a beautiful cocker spaniel & no car! They had a satchel that they used to carry her in on the Bus/Lewis ; one would pay for both & the other would walk through; never spotted, never an issue! They now have a bigger bad that one carries on in his arms like shopping with her in it ; again ; no problems! They don't let her out so nobody can tell ( mostly) & there's no pee-ing or hair on seats so it's win win! They' be been doing that for a year & a half now; most days! Never a problem! ( don't jinx!!) : ) hope that helps!

Yeah I think if its a smaller dog that can fit in a carrier there is less of an issue - hence my earlier posts as to the reasoning behind it. If they are in a carrier then there is less chance of an 'accident' or an 'incident' with another passenger. (But then again, these are only assumptions so please don't take my opinion as anything other than that, god forbid! :P)

Despite the nazi policies in place & it being virtually impossible for people with pets & without cars to get anywhere " faraway" with them ;I have been extremely lucky with taxis! I have a big dog & a few times have needed a taxi when out with her ; in every case I called the dispatcher; calmly said I was stranded with well behaved well trained dog & could she check what car would take a dog & one duly arrived every time. I always mention that the dog is clean & will stay on the floor / footwell and not sit on the seat.

I've never had a delay or problem ordering them this way! Usually give the taxi guy a few euro tip to keep the goodwill going!

My experiences were the same. Once you mention your dog in advance there is no problem. In fact, I met some incredible dog lover drivers and we had great chats and the dog got petted and cooed upon. Perhaps the dispatcher sends out "dog alert" and only dog lovers volunteer? I would always leave some tip as well, not matter how hard you try there will always be a hair or two left behind!

Yea I would think most cab places will have a few drivers who won't mind as long as you can reassure them that there won't be a mess or anything. Sure compared to some of the punters they must get on a saturday night I'd say the dogs would be a blessed relief!
    I know a few taxi drivers myself who would have no hesitation in taking a dog in the car once they knew it wasn't going to puke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

OP it does depend on the driver. If the dog is cute, friendly and clean there should be a problem. But if the dog is filthy, ie. just been walked in a mudbath or looks like the would bite everyone on the bus, then probably no chance. I had a Golden Retriever when I was younger, took her on a bus to city centre and then out to Celbridge. Drivers had no problems, the conductor (yes a long time ago) loved the fact she would go upstairs and sit on the front seat over the driver looking out the window, or pretending to drive the bus!! Good times...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Luck of the draw really when it comes to the driver on whether the dog gets on or not. At the end of the day, if a complaint is made about the animal, it's the driver who'll get the kick in the rear from superiors. Therefore easier not to let the dog on in most instances. They've enough to be dealing with watching the road instead of keeping an eye that everyone's happy with the dog on board.

If your dogs well behaved why not get a high-vis jacket from the Euro shops?? Gives the impression it's an assistance dog but you're not really manipulating everyone!!

In respect to muzzles, it is stated that the breeds on the restricted breeds list wear them in public. Can't imagine many passengers on Dublin Bus being happy with a German Shephard wearing a "face mask" being the most ideal of situations. Therefore causing hassle to the driver, and indeed Dublin Bus, getting calls of a "dangerous dog" on board. God knows Joe Duffy would hear about it in the morning!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

My friend has a shih-tzu - he's quite a big mad looking thing. But he was being carried (tucked under her arm to make him look small)

She had to eventually beg the third Dublin Bus driver let her on (on the basis she would never get home) after the first two refused. He grudgingly let her on.

She got on and sat beside a lady. The lady took out her phone to text and the mad shi-tzu stuffed his head into the phone to see who the lady was texting.

My friend said she was mortified :D

Anyway moral of the story is, I agree, it's "at the discretion of the driver" - but none of them seem to do it :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Most of us here I would say are animal lovers and probably realise that things that happen are usually not an animals fault but a problem with the lack of training and understanding of the owner.

People with assist dogs and guide dogs, be they in training or working with their handler, have spent a lot of time, thought and money learning just what needs to be done to bring a dog onto public transport without the dog becoming a nuisance or danger to passengers.
    These are not just companion dogs as nice and necessary to people as companion dogs are, assist dogs and guide dogs are a means to a person being able to carry on having a normal life.
    tk123 says
    Unethical but you could say its an assistance puppy in training and you forgot his vest?
    Bringing a dog onto public transport or into any public situation and pretending or directly saying it is an assist or guide dog is the equivalent of parking in a disabled parking space for what everyone says will be "just a few minutes". It seems a small act to you but as more people do the same thing, it really messes things up for the person who actually needs to use it.

Guide dogs and handlers are trained to know when a dog usually toilets, to know if the dog has toileted, to toilet in a particular place at home and in suitable areas when not at home. They are trained to lay down and not bother anyone when their handler gives them that command, they wait and are considered working when on public transport.

I'm not saying no one else can have a dog trained up to that standard and I'm not saying that assist dogs don't at times make mistakes and need re training.

Unfortunately when it comes to dog owners it is the few who mess things up for everyone.
    The Guide Dog association has worked hard to get authorities like CIE, Dublin Bus, The Restaurant Association, etc to accept that their dogs can be relied on and they therefore make exceptions for them.
    If people pretend their animals are guide dogs or assist dogs and anything happens (not your dog of course but someone elses) it could ruin the reputation of The Guide Dogs and make areas inaccessible for blind people.
    Some of you may find it difficult to believe but even though there is legislation out there guide dog owners and assist dog owners can still have a difficult job trying to get access with their animals.
    Please dont encourage anyone to make that job more difficult.

Advertisement