Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA President Platini writes off Celtic

• 31-12-2012 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

UEFA president Michel Platini has sensationally written off Celtic’s Champions League hopes by insisting Juventus can consider themselves already in the quarter-finals.
    In an interview with an Italian paper the former Juve star said his old club had effectively been given a bye in the draw for the last-16 clash.
    The France legend said: “After being drawn against Celtic we can already consider Juve to be in the quarter-finals. Juventus will count themselves very fortunate. This comes from someone who understands football and who has played on this great European stage.”
    Platini – who made over 150 starts for Juventus in a five-year spell from 1982 – added: “Juve are also fortunate because several of the bigger teams will be eliminated at this stage.
    “They are strong enough to win the Italian championship but I’m not so sure about Europe yet. It’s a matter of mentality. But they will always be the team of my heart.”
    Platini’s outburst comes just days after he cosied up to Hoops chief executive Peter Lawwell.
    Lawwell revealed the Frenchman congratulated him at the draw, adding: “Platini told me every club wants to play Celtic and for the right reasons.
    “They love Celtic. They want to go to Celtic Park because of our friendliness and the type of club we are.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/michel-platini-writes-off-celtics-champions-1511044

Pretty classless thing to say from him, not that im surprised. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭roashter

as if Celtic needed any extra motivation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,582 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Someone needs to ban Platini from media interaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

good man, Juve will not thank him for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

"This comes from someone who understands football and who has played on this great European stage."

Sounds like a comment you'd read under a Youtube video - "I think Rooney is **** and this is coming from a United supporter".

Fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Does that man ever say anything that doesn't involve him insulting someone or some club?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Lennonist wrote: »
    good man, Juve will not thank him for that.

I highly doubt Juve would have taken Celtic lightly anyway.

But I for one do hope Platini is right :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well at least we won't be wondering what will be plastered up on every wall in Celtic Park in the run up to the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

"This comes from someone who understands football and who has played on this great European stage.”

Love this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Juve / AC Milan / Barca / Real Madrid

Platini's wet dream CL last four, for every year, for eternity

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

What a wanker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Only the Daily Record has this story which is amazing or not so much so. The Daily Record is the Scottish Mirror/Sun so you should take what you read in it with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Just searched Tuttosport.com, apparently the newspaper he did the interview with.
    I came across this quote: (ANSA) - ROMA, 28 DIC - ''La Juve ha costruito una squadra per vincere lo scudetto e c'e' riuscita, ma non so se sia cosi' forte da vincere la Champions League. E' una questione di mentalita'''. Lo ha detto Michel Platini, da Dubai, dove ha ricevuto il Globe soccer award, di miglior dirigente del 2012. ''La 'mia' Juve era abituata a vincere anche in Europa - ha aggiunto Platini -. In passato ho detto che ci sarebbe voluto del tempo per vedere la Juve sul tetto d'Europa, ovviamente spero di sbagliare''.

Google translated version: (ANSAmed) - ROME, DECEMBER 28 -'' Juve has built a team to win the championship and there is 'successful, but I do not know whether it is so' strong to win the Champions League. It 'a matter of mentality'''. He said Michel Platini, from Dubai, where he received the Globe soccer award of best director in 2012. '' The 'my' Juve was used to winning in Europe - added Platini -. In the past I have said that it would take some time to see Juve on the roof of Europe, of course I hope to be wrong.''

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

Surely he is entitled to his opinion??

I think Celtic are cat aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Translated, font expanded and stuck up on the dressing room wall I'd imagine.

Rather foolish thing for M Platini to say in an interview to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

srfc19 wrote: »

There's having an opinion and then there's being disrespectful. God k ows I am no I lover of Celtic but all he has done is give them more motivation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Lawwell revealed the Frenchman congratulated him at the draw, adding: “Platini told me every club wants to play Celtic and for the right reasons.
    “They love Celtic. They want to go to Celtic Park because of our friendliness and the type of club we are.”

Love this part.

Platini, to group: "Come on, admit it, everyone is hoping they get Celtic, right?"
    Lawwell joins group: "Why is that Mr. Platini?"
    Platini: "Oh Peter, I didn't see you there. Er, it's because you are so, eh, friendly? Yes friendly, and, eh.....a specific type of club? Yes, that'll do."
    Lawwell: "Cheers Mr. Platini, it's great to feel appreciated."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

eagle eye wrote: »
    Only the Daily Record has this story which is amazing or not so much so. The Daily Record is the Scottish Mirror/Sun so you should take what you read in it with a pinch of salt.

If the Daily record is the Scottish mirror or sun, then what are the actual scottish mirror sun that are sale everyday? :confused: Silly comment.

I'm not a fan of the Record, but the quotes are there plain to see, there's no reason for the Daily Record to make it up.

The man is an idiot, i dont think Celtic will be taken lightly by Juve, but this will just fire Celtic up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Thanks for those words Michel, a small bit more motivation for us against Juve!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

personally i'm glad he has said this.. the more people that write us off the more dangerous we become.. its been proven already this year

He sure is entitled to his opinion but he's also El Presidente of UEFA, being disrespectful to a large European club like Celtic is not becoming of his position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Do ya now, have you noticed they are in the last 16 of the CL this season. Sure everyone has an opinion, results are what really matters.

Thanks to Michel Platini for providing extra motivation for Celtic - not that they needed any - but welcome all the same. Every little helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

He sure is entitled to his opinion but he's also El Presidente of UEFA, being disrespectful to a large European club like Celtic is not becoming of his position.

Absolutely agreed. Much the same way Blatter went out of his way to try and seem funny when he revealed Ireland requested to take a 33rd spot in the WC.

Made a laughing stock of us (a member of FIFA) in the process. It would like your boss making a needless show of you in front of all your colleauges. Completely unprofessional and cringey.

These clowns wouldn't last a minute in any other organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Well at least they should win the SPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

As president of UEFA he should show respect to all clubs, not just the big ones. But as we have seen so many times small clubs (and small countries) are being left behind for the benefit of a small number of big ones.

Whatever happened to UEFA's Respect campaign? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,582 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Fair play to him.
    Gwan, enlighten us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Platini has long been tipped to one day take on the role of FIFA President. On the back of these crass, insensitive and disrespectful comments I'd say we have found someone more than capable of following in the footsteps of Sepp Blatter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

What is it about the top positions in UEFA and FIFA - is it a job requirement that you absolutely have to embarrass yourself and show yourself to be completely inept at every opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Even though I'd agree that Juve got one of the best draws, someone in his position shouldnt be saying it. It's one thing saying it on an internet forum or with your mates or whatever, its completely different when you are in his position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Jelle1880 wrote: »

But I for one do hope Platini is right :pac:

Are you not worried about the SPL's co-efficient?? Oh wait sorry, carry on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Gab Marcotti said Platini was foolish for saying that for a number of reasons. 1. Celtic and Barca traded 2-1 wins. 2. If Juventus manages to win based on controversy conspirators will first look at Platini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

764dak wrote: »
    Gab Marcotti said Platini was foolish for saying that for a number of reasons. 1. Celtic and Barca traded 2-1 wins. 2. If Juventus manages to win based on controversy conspirators will first look at Platini.

But if Celtic played Barca at knockout stages would you think the same result would happen?

Not a Celtic fan but congrats on getting this far and football is a funny old game so you never know. Money on juventus though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

But if Celtic played Barca at knockout stages would you think the same result would happen?

Not a Celtic fan but congrats on getting this far and football is a funny old game so you never know. Money on juventus though.
    Juventus are no Barca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

As has been said, irrespective of how accurate anyone believes his comments to be, they're not comments that a man in his position should making

I'd also add that while I fully believe those in charge of the game need to be fans as well, and hence have an affinity with certain clubs, there's something wrong when that club happens to be juve, given their history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I very much doubt he said that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

keith16 wrote: »
    Absolutely agreed. Much the same way Blatter went out of his way to try and seem funny when he revealed Ireland requested to take a 33rd spot in the WC.

Made a laughing stock of us (a member of FIFA) in the process. It would like your boss making a needless show of you in front of all your colleauges. Completely unprofessional and cringey.

It wasn't Blatter that made a laughing stock of Ireland after that incident. Look a bit closer to home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cienciano wrote: »
    It wasn't Blatter that made a laughing stock of Ireland after that incident. Look a bit closer to home

Agree there. I was in Paris that night, but the aftermath was maybe one of the most embarressing things I have seen in football.

That's Lennon's team talk done!

Really hope Celtic beat them now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Uefa always look out for their big clubs, can't remember the last time we got a favour in any European match so this will obviously be no different.

It's hardly groundbreaking anyway. I assume everyone had wrote us off anyway, and rightly so. Same way they did against Barca.

Uefa always look out for their big clubs, can't remember the last time we got a favour in any European match so this will obviously be no different.

It's hardly groundbreaking anyway. I assume everyone had wrote us off anyway, and rightly so. Same way they did against Barca.
    last favour we got was probably beating fc sion 3-0 home and away haha

• Advertisement

last favour we got was probably beating fc sion 3-0 home and away haha
    I was thinking that, but Uefa's hands were completely tied on that one. Sion unequivocally broke the rules. From as far back as I can remember (Juve I guess!) we've got screwed in almost every match, especially the away games*. We even got cheated in the Barca home game (Song and Mascherano should have been sent off).

Actually I have one! Jarosik dived to get the freekick Naka smashed in against United. Scum!

*not saying we deserved to win them all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

Yeah I'll be thinking of that when we're in Celtic Park with the place rocking with 60,000 people watching us play Juve in the elite stage of the Champions League while you're in the Showgrounds watching Sligo play Bray Wanderers:pac:

Cat my hole. We play in the country of 5 million people, show me a bigger and better club in the world where they come from a country of 5 million or even around that population. What Celtic achieve as a club is amazing and the like of the LOI support base are so jealous it's astounding.

bijapos wrote: »
    As president of UEFA he should show respect to all clubs, not just the big ones. But as we have seen so many times small clubs (and small countries) are being left behind for the benefit of a small number of big ones.

Whatever happened to UEFA's Respect campaign? :rolleyes:

You are correct, he should be showing respect to all clubs, not just big ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I was thinking that, but Uefa's hands were completely tied on that one. Sion unequivocally broke the rules. From as far back as I can remember (Juve I guess!) we've got screwed in almost every match, especially the away games*. We even got cheated in the Barca home game (Song and Mascherano should have been sent off).

Actually I have one! Jarosik dived to get the freekick Naka smashed in against United. Scum!

*not saying we deserved to win them all

I'd say Sion fans are saying the same thing about Celtic, because to them celtic is the big club so uefa favored the big club over them...its all relative :)

EdenHazard wrote: »
    I'd say Sion fans are saying the same thing about Celtic, because to them celtic is the big club so uefa favored the big club over them...its all relative :)
    they broke the rules and got punished.

I don't think we should rely on favours from anyone though, we don't need them, aren't going to get them and shouldn't expect them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

If those quotes are correct, what a ridiculous thing to say. It's one thing thinking Juve will get past Celtic, which i do think they will. But to call the draw for Juve effectively a bye for them is absurd.

Although Juve are the better team and very very hard to beat, it's not that much of David and Goliath story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

keith16 wrote: »

The fai made themselves a laughing stock there not blatter.
    TheBuilder wrote: »
    If the Daily record is the Scottish mirror or sun, then what are the actual scottish mirror sun that are sale everyday? :confused:

:D Thats rightly confused him now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

This comment as well as Jimmy McGuinness's brain should ensure a Celtic win.

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Except what happened to Sion had absolutely nothing to do with Celtic. They could have played any team in the Europa and got punished the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Neeson wrote: »
    This comment as well as Jimmy McGuinness's brain should ensure a Celtic win.

McGuinness does like to win matches.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement