Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA President Platini writes off Celtic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

WHAT.A.TOSSER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Hope Celtic stuff them

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

Yeah I'll be thinking of that when we're in Celtic Park with the place rocking with 60,000 people watching us play Juve in the elite stage of the Champions League while you're in the Showgrounds watching Sligo play Bray Wanderers:pac:

Cat my hole. We play in the country of 5 million people, show me a bigger and better club in the world where they come from a country of 5 million or even around that population. What Celtic achieve as a club is amazing and the like of the LOI support base are so jealous it's astounding.

But when I'm discussing the Bray match with people in the locality all week, you'll be on forums trying to maintain your questionable affiliation to a club 300 miles away! ;)

What would I be jealous off?? We'll be in the last 16 next year. Only 12 games away, and that is after winning a competitive league not a one horse race. :)

I do think Celtic are rubbish to watch but I am impressed by the strength of the players to do so well considering they are all distinctly average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

monkey9 wrote: »
    If those quotes are correct, what a ridiculous thing to say. It's one thing thinking Juve will get past Celtic, which i do think they will. But to call the draw for Juve effectively a bye for them is absurd.

Although Juve are the better team and very very hard to beat, it's not that much of David and Goliath story.

Assume he was asked as an ex Juve player, which his comments would make sense. All ex Juve players would say its pretty much a bye, wouldnt agree myself but think the Juve middle 3 will be too good for Celtic.....altho Celtic may trouble them with set pieces.
    Yeah I'll be thinking of that when we're in Celtic Park with the place rocking with 60,000 people watching us play Juve in the elite stage of the Champions League while you're in the Showgrounds watching Sligo play Bray Wanderers:pac:

Cat my hole. We play in the country of 5 million people, show me a bigger and better club in the world where they come from a country of 5 million or even around that population. What Celtic achieve as a club is amazing and the like of the LOI support base are so jealous it's astounding.

My team played yours which means i can fcuking detest you forever, and i dont mean their Scottish fans (cracking bunch of people)....but the other ones.....the Irish ones such a disgusting set of fans. Anway i looking forward to going to the Showgrounds, always a good trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,317 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Assume he was asked as an ex Juve player, which his comments would make sense. All ex Juve players would say its pretty much a bye, wouldnt agree myself but think the Juve middle 3 will be too good for Celtic.....altho Celtic may trouble them with set pieces.

It is immaterial that he is an ex-Juventus player, he is now head of UEFA and his musings should reflect that position

My team played yours which means i can fcuking detest you forever, and i dont mean their Scottish fans (cracking bunch of people)....but the other ones.....the Irish ones such a disgusting set of fans. Anway i looking forward to going to the Showgrounds, always a good trip.

Great generalisation there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

srfc19 wrote: »
    But when I'm discussing the Bray match with people in the locality all week, you'll be on forums trying to maintain your questionable affiliation to a club 300 miles away! ;)
    Actually it's quite likely he is also able to discuss his team with people in his locality all week, since we have a massive fanbase ;)
    What would I be jealous off?? We'll be in the last 16 next year. Only 12 games away, and that is after winning a competitive league not a one horse race. :)
    "Your wins don't count cos ur too good!" lol
    but I am impressed by the strength of the players to do so well considering they are all distinctly average.
    You're just sounding in incredibly desperate to criticise again. "Your players are all crap but they play well".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

No difference between the Scottish and Irish fans, we are one and the same. You'll have to try a little harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its a pity the popcorn gif is bannable offense these days.;)

Its a pity the popcorn gif is bannable offense these days.;)

The Michael Jackson one? surely not :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

ColeTrain wrote: »
    The Michael Jackson one? surely not :mad:

Think so:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

thanks for that, you dont know me you dont know what i am like but you hate me on grounds of what exactly? sounds like you are the one with the problem here

No difference between the Scottish and Irish fans, we are one and the same. You'll have to try a little harder.

There is quite a big difference, one set are fans of their local club. The other are a disgrace to it.

There is quite a big difference, one set are fans of their local club. The other are a disgrace to it.
    again what about me makes me disgraceful? you're beginning to sound bitter

The only disgrace here is the one who hates & detests people he does not know based on a football match. Now that is bigotry

again what about me makes me disgraceful? you're beginning to sound bitter

Very bitter indeed.

Are they? Is every Scottish Celtic fan local to the East End of Glasgow or is it yourself who defines what mile radius you're allowed to be in to support a club.

The thing that gets me about the likes of you is the hatred you have for Irish Celtic fans in particular. You don't see other fans getting in the neck for supporting a club that isn't in their locality. It shows you up for the type of person you are. You have no bother generalising a full section of fans while having a unreal level of smugness to go with it, despite not knowing anyones background on here.

Judge away all you want, I really don't give a f*** what you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

But if Celtic played Barca at knockout stages would you think the same result would happen?

Not a Celtic fan but congrats on getting this far and football is a funny old game so you never know. Money on juventus though.

Celtic played Barca when no team had even progressed and Barca was at full strength in both games and the Barca players didn't ease up at all.

I think who dreamers75 is trying to describe, and failing because he's not very good at stuff, are the undesirables in Ireland who might have an old hoops jersey or a Celtic hat or something. I've never met one of these who have been to a game, or even watch us on the TV, nor would they be able to tell you who we're playing next in the league or anything about our history. They are no more Celtic fans than someone who wears a Boston Celtics hoody follows the basketball team. I bet there are plenty robberies and assaults carried out in the UK and Ireland by people wearing Yankees baseball caps. Are these people disgraces to the NY Yankees?

Regardless there are many Celtic Supporter's Clubs dotted all over Ireland. Every weekend dozens of buses leave for Scotland. There are tens of thousands of tickets sold to Irish fans, many of which are season tickets, so if you're getting the two breeds of "supporter" confused you need to wise up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

It's not just those scummy "fans" for me. It's people who support Celtic that feel they are somehow supporting an Irish team. Not accusing you of that BoscaCapaill but no matter how much people wish it weren't true and try to convince themselves otherwise, they are as Irish as Rangers.

It's not just those scummy "fans" for me. It's people who support Celtic that feel they are somehow supporting an Irish team. Not accusing you of that BoscaCapaill but no matter how much people wish it weren't true and try to convince themselves otherwise, they are as Irish as Rangers.
    what about people who accuse you of being a disgrace for supporting a team... merely because they play a fair distance away.

some league of ireland fans can be bitter because people refuse to get behind their chosen league like dreamers here but im not going to label them all as elitest arseholes.

Saying that it "is as Irish as Rangers" while discounting all of it's Irish roots is as stupid as saying "the club is fully Irish", Not everything is black and white.

This has been done to death on here and funny how it's never brought up by Celtic fans. Celtic's Irish roots really bother some people.

• Advertisement

The thing that gets me about the likes of you is the hatred you have for Irish Celtic fans in particular. You don't see other fans getting in the neck for supporting a club that isn't in their locality. It shows you up for the type of person you are. You have no bother generalising a full section of fans while having a unreal level of smugness to go with it, despite not knowing anyones background on here.

Judge away all you want, I really don't give a f*** what you think.

Again just to point out My Team played against your ilk, thats important. My opinion is based on your ilk (not Scottish Celtic fans , they deadly)

Dreamers75 = me fcukin hates your Irish support, you are a disgrace to that scottish club that you support.

I have my reasons for fcuking abhorring everything about the likes of you, created from a match(2 matches twas 2 legged) my team played against yours. Thats how how tribal football hatred is born FYI.

Not my problem you dont "get" that another teams fan could hate you for that......altho me being irish and my team being irish could sorta fcuk that up a bit :o

Sorry for being irish ?

Saying that it "is as Irish as Rangers" while discounting all of it's Irish roots is as stupid as saying "the club is fully Irish", Not everything is black and white.

This has been done to death on here and funny how it's never brought up by Celtic fans. Celtic's Irish roots really bother some people.
    Roots are irrelevant at this stage. Half the teams in the world were set up by Englishmen but it would be weird for English people with clubs down the road to support them based off this notion. Barca were started by a Swiss bloke, so it must be cool for Swiss people to support them. Anyway, just realised that this is OT so I'll move along. Not a big deal to me, but the topic was being discussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Poor comment mate.

Roots are irrelevant at this stage.

Roots are the very essence of a football club.

Every single football club is bound together by its roots.

Roots are the very essence of a football club.

Every single football club is bound together by its roots.

I don't want to get into it as it is OT but Irish clubs that develop young Irish talent have proper Irish roots. Celtic are intrinsically a Scottish club for a Scottish town. Anyway, my last post on this.

I don't want to get into it as it is OT but Irish clubs that develop young Irish talent have proper Irish roots. Celtic are intrinsically a Scottish club for a Scottish town. Anyway, my last post on this.

You're entitled to your opinion... but many people would disagree with you. For instance, it would be slightly disingenuous to call Barcelona a Spanish team ever though they play in Spain.

I have no problem with Celtic being termed a Scottish team but given the history of the club, who set it up, why it was set up, how it came about as a result of politics in Ireland etc... then it really doesn't tell the full story and that's why 'roots' are so important.

Again just to point out My Team played against your ilk, thats important. My opinion is based on your ilk (not Scottish Celtic fans , they deadly)

Dreamers75 = me fcukin hates your Irish support, you are a disgrace to that scottish club that you support.

I have my reasons for fcuking abhorring everything about the likes of you, created from a match(2 matches twas 2 legged) my team played against yours. Thats how how tribal football hatred is born FYI.

Not my problem you dont "get" that another teams fan could hate you for that......altho me being irish and my team being irish could sorta fcuk that up a bit :o

Sorry for being irish ?

You need to calm down, we wouldn't like to see a uber fan like you get too stressed.

they are as Irish as Rangers.
    _53466640_oldfirmfans.jpg

old-firm-image-2-337518259.jpg

Yeah, I can see how you might find it hard to discern between the two :rolleyes:
    Honestly you've lost me here bud. Your team (who?) played against Celtic fans from Ireland? What?

by your own logic dreamers i now hate sligo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I don't see the fuss. Football is a competitive sport, so his thoughts on whether or not Juve should thump Celtic or not has no bearing...whether he's President of UEFA or not. He's still a fan of the sport and is merely sharing his opinion like any other fan. The only effect it will have is, as some have said, that it will probably make Neil Lennon's team talk a lot easier now.

I like Platini. Has he changed the world since he took over UEFA? No, but he seems to have his priorities in the right place. I'll take that given that the game is run by an incompetent, outdated fool like Blatter. And I think football would be better off if Platini were to take over the mantel when Blatter finally steps down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Im surprised they havnt thrown the Anti-Oirish Bigot card at Platini yet

Why would Plantini be accused of being anti-Irish? I am not sure why you have an infantile need to mis spell? And who are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

leggo wrote: »
    I don't see the fuss. Football is a competitive sport, so his thoughts on whether or not Juve should thump Celtic or not has no bearing...whether he's President of UEFA or not. He's still a fan of the sport and is merely sharing his opinion like any other fan. The only effect it will have is, as some have said, that it will probably make Neil Lennon's team talk a lot easier now.

I like Platini. Has he changed the world since he took over UEFA? No, but he seems to have his priorities in the right place. I'll take that given that the game is run by an incompetent, outdated fool like Blatter. And I think football would be better off if Platini were to take over the mantel when Blatter finally steps down.

I agree with this. Platini is a former player, not some well educated politician who needs to please everyone in everything he says. The comments about Celtic are 'rousing' but hardly controversial.

Blatter on the other hand.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Celtic were written off in Europe already this season, not going to lose any sleep over Platini talking shíte! The only way he could make Lennon's job any easier is if he actually came to the match! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Find it funny that people think this will aid Celtic from a motivational pov, if they weren't already fired up for a CL knockout match they're in the wrong business. Won't make a jot of difference to the tie which Juve will more than likely win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Obviously should have been a bit more diplomatic in his approach, but I'm very much understanding and agreed with his opinion.

youre just showing yourself up here mate he said nothing bigoted or anti irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

As long as Juve don't go in believing what Platini said, they should get past celtic. Going in overconfident has been the downfall of Juve a lot over the years.
    As for celtic being Irish, they're a british team, get over it! No amount of flag waving will change the fact that celtic are british.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Cienciano wrote: »
    no amount of flag waving will change the fact that celtic are british.

Asking who was the first British club to win the European Cup confuses quite a lot of their Irish fans.

• Advertisement

doncarlos wrote: »
    Asking who was the first British club to win the European Cup confuses quite a lot of their Irish fans.

I very much doubt it confuses many Celtic fans. I would suggest it confuses more fans of the EPL teams than Celtic fans!

doncarlos wrote: »
    The only time they "admit" to being british!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

Honestly you've lost me here bud. Your team (who?) played against Celtic fans from Ireland? What?

St Patricks Athletic played Celtic in the Champions League back in 1998. Have to admit Im not a huge fan of Celtic myself.

The club is irish in the sense that it was set up by irish people for irish people and had a large irish following even to this day

The club is irish in the sense that it was set up by irish people for irish people and had a large irish following even to this day
    You mean British!

Cienciano wrote: »
    You mean British!
    whatever you think champ

• Advertisement

I agree with this. Platini is a former player, not some well educated politician who needs to please everyone in everything he says.
    Actually as President of Uefa he is a politician in the footballing sphere.
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    Find it funny that people think this will aid Celtic from a motivational pov, if they weren't already fired up for a CL knockout match they're in the wrong business. Won't make a jot of difference to the tie which Juve will more than likely win.
    This is exactly how I feel. Juve are heavy favourites and rightly so, what he's said makes no difference but he should still have kept his trap shut. It's painfully obvious as it is who Uefa want to progress without them saying as much.

Besides if you look at the other runners up teams, we're better than Valencia and Galatasary, and we'd probably give Arsenal and Milan in their current state a run for their money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

kksaints wrote: »
    St Patricks Athletic played Celtic in the Champions League back in 1998. Have to admit Im not a huge fan of Celtic myself.

And thats is perfectly fine, I have no great admiration for many many football clubs, be it in Ireland, England, Scotland, the Continent or Timbuktu.

But for someone like Dreamers to be so blinded and well quite frankly ignorant as to say they hate all Irish born Celtic fans is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Actually as President of Uefa he is a politician in the footballing sphere.

Maybe, but define "footballing sphere" ?

Is it where everyone enjoys football, has favorite teams, and voices their opinion? Given that he is a former footballer he is never going to sit on the fence for everything (and this is his former team he is talking about).

For what its worth, I think the draw was good to Celtic and I give them a 50/50 chance of going through. They'll rely on home advantage to try scrape a win (I predict they'll do no worse than draw) and then play extremely conservatively in Turin. (Form an orderly queue in calling me a football tactical genius)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

And thats is perfectly fine, I have no great admiration for many many football clubs, be it in Ireland, England, Scotland, the Continent or Timbuktu.

But for someone like Dreamers to be so blinded and well quite frankly ignorant as to say they hate all Irish born Celtic fans is shocking.

Have to agree with you here I have no time for Celtic at all. But I have very good friends who are tic fans and I don't hate anyone just for the team they support

Maybe, but define "footballing sphere" ?

Is it where everyone enjoys football, has favorite teams, and voices their opinion? Given that he is a former footballer he is never going to sit on the fence for everything (and this is his former team he is talking about).
    Except his position as President takes precedence (tongue twister) over his position as an ex-player or a fan. The same way a referee couldn't come out before a Man Utd game and say "I'm sure Man Utd are going to win this".

There are enough accusations of bias at Uefa without their President voicing such partisan opinions.
    For what its worth, I think the draw was good to Celtic and I give them a 50/50 chance of going through. They'll rely on home advantage to try scrape a win (I predict they'll do no worse than draw) and then play extremely conservatively in Turin. (Form an orderly queue in calling me a football tactical genius)
    Well I hope you're not a betting man because you won't be getting evens on us :D Playing conservatively did not work against Spartak or Benfica. It worked against Barca only because we got the rest of our tactics spot on, forcing them to the wings etc. We are not a defensive side and should play to our strengths.

Pirlo will tear us apart but there will be no shame in it. We've done fantastic to get this far.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement