Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA President Platini writes off Celtic

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

leggo wrote: »
    I don't see the fuss. Football is a competitive sport, so his thoughts on whether or not Juve should thump Celtic or not has no bearing...whether he's President of UEFA or not. He's still a fan of the sport and is merely sharing his opinion like any other fan. The only effect it will have is, as some have said, that it will probably make Neil Lennon's team talk a lot easier now.

Totally disagree. He should nt be offering opinions like that given his role, he should be above al that. His position supersedes his position as fan.
    leggo wrote: »
    I like Platini. Has he changed the world since he took over UEFA? No, but he seems to have his priorities in the right place. I'll take that given that the game is run by an incompetent, outdated fool like Blatter. And I think football would be better off if Platini were to take over the mantel when Blatter finally steps down.

I had high hopes when he took over but have become totally disillusioned with him by this stage. He's all bluster and this latest unedifying gaff makes me think he'll fit seamlessly into Batters shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Totally disagree. He should nt be offering opinions like that given his role, he should be above al that. His position supersedes his position as fan.

So you want him to be a boring political type?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,317 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

eagle eye wrote: »

So you want him to be a Blatter type?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So you want him to be a Blatter type?
    Never answer a question with a question.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I thought Platini wanted the smaller European clubs to do well in the Champions League :confused:

Platini only cares about himself not the beautiful game.

eagle eye wrote: »

In relation to making comments like this, quite simple he shouldnt get involved. I think he's a pure politician anyway at this stage.

Cienciano wrote: »
    The only time they "admit" to being british!

mikeym wrote: »
    I thought Platini wanted the smaller European clubs to do well in the Champions League :confused:

Whatever gave you that idea?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Is your sole intention here to **** stir? And who will only admit??

You're meant to be insulted by that comment I think.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    You're meant to be insulted by that comment I think.

Bemused more than insulted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

mikeym wrote: »

Platini only cares about himself not the beautiful game.

He does. That's one of the reasons why he doesn't like Glasgow giants Celtic, that and that they are going to dump his former club out of this years CL;). Bring on Juve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

There's some irony in using "British" as insult while trying to criticise Celtic fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

whatever you think champ

Thanks, my point exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

Thanks, my point exactly.
    your point related to my unwillingness to argue with somebody who has already formed their opinion?

your point related to my unwillingness to argue with somebody who has already formed their opinion?

What's there to argue? Celtic are a british club, simple as. Doesn't matter who supports them.

What's there to argue? Celtic are a british club, simple as. Doesn't matter who supports them.
    ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

And how about Derry City? Are they a British Club too? Because they play in the League of Ireland...

Omackeral wrote: »
    And how about Derry City? Are they a British Club too? Because they play in the League of Ireland...
    swansea and cardiff are english

Is Derry in Britain now? News to me!

• Advertisement

That's us told.

That's us told.
    I feel quite silly now!!

That's us told.
    I feel quite silly now!!

All I'm saying is celtic are british. It's not that big a deal.
    If you disagree, answer me this one question:
    Who were the first British club to win the european cup?

Is Derry in Britain now? News to me!

Well this could be news to you but anyone (and I'd assume any entity) from the United Kingdom can be considered British. So if you wanna split hairs...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

If celtic are based in Britain and pay tax to Britain...I think it's fair to say they're a british club.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

Well this could be news to you but anyone (and I'd assume any entity) from the United Kingdom can be considered British. So if you wanna split hairs...

You assume wrong. Derry is not in Britain, Britain is an island. A proportion of Derry's population are quite proud of their British heritage and ancestory but in no way shape or form does this mean that Derry is a part of Britain which (I'll repeat) is an entirely differant island.

• Advertisement

Alias G wrote: »
    You assume wrong. Derry is not in Britain, Britain is an island. A proportion of Derry's population are quite proud of their British heritage and ancestory but in no way shape or form does this mean that Derry is a part of Britain which (I'll repeat) is an entirely differant island.

And I'll repeat that anyone from the UK can be considered British (No such demonym as United Kindom-ish is there!?) Not saying that they live in Great Britain, simply saying a resident of the UK can be considered a British citizen. Anyway, gone way off topic.

All I'm saying is celtic are british. It's not that big a deal.
    If you disagree, answer me this one question:
    Who were the first British club to win the european cup?
    pmcmahon wrote: »
    If celtic are based in Britain and pay tax to Britain...I think it's fair to say they're a british club.

When I go to Celtic Park I'm fully aware I'm in Britain, indeed I never said otherwise. I think some post it as a dig but I don't care. I'm fully aware of the clubs history and why it was set up in the first place. Each to their own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Celtic are a Scottish and Irish club. The clue is in the name. If you have a problem with our identity then that's fine, we don't. I'm sure there are a thousand people better educated than you who could help you out.

Athletic Bilbao, Real Sociedad, Valladoid etc are Basque teams.

Celtic were the first British team to win the European Cup. If that's your best insult then I'm loving it :) They were also the first Scottish team. And the first non-Latin European team. They also won the most amount of trophies in one season in the entire world, at the time. And the universe. And they play in Britain. Ireland used to be part of Britain. Ireland is part of the British Isles.

Who would like some more facts?

Celtic are a Scottish and Irish club. The clue is in the name. If you have a problem with our identity then that's fine, we don't. I'm sure there are a thousand people better educated than you who could help you out.

Athletic Bilbao, Real Sociedad, Valladoid etc are Basque teams.

Celtic were the first British team to win the European Cup. If that's your best insult then I'm loving it :) They were also the first Scottish team. And the first non-Latin European team. They also won the most amount of trophies in one season in the entire world, at the time. And the universe. And they play in Britain. Ireland used to be part of Britain. Ireland is part of the British Isles.

Who would like some more facts?

There you go with your shades of grey again. Get with the program, everything regarding Celtic is black and white round these here parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

And I'll repeat that anyone from the UK can be considered British (No such demonym as United Kindom-ish is there!?) Not saying that they live in Great Britain, simply saying a resident of the UK can be considered a British citizen. Anyway, gone way off topic.

You called a previous poster up when he sarcastically declared that Derry was in Britain I'll repeat, you were wrong in this exact instance.

• Advertisement

Alias G wrote: »
    You called a previous poster up when he sarcastically declared that Derry was in Britain I'll repeat, you were wrong in this exact instance.

Look, I was the one who implied that Derry could be seen as British i.e. situated within the UK. My point is that teams can often play in different leagues based on politics/locale/history etc. Geographically, Derry City and Celtic FC can be called British clubs, but in their essence and to their fans, they are anything but. Quite like the Barca situation in Spain.

This thread is nuts.

Historians and politicians united.

There's a difference between a person and an organisation. An organisation like a football club or business are from whatever country they're based in. It's that simple. If it Tranmere Rovers were set up by a Mexican, and a plane load of people from Mexico flew in to see them play every week, they're not a Mexican club.

Athletic Bilbao, Real Sociedad, Valladoid etc are Basque teams
    Celtic were the first British team to win the European Cup. If that's your best insult then I'm loving it :)

Teams you mentioned are spanish teams.
    And interesting that you think that "British" is an insult. You're the one that supports the British team!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Don't think platini said anything about Celtic being an Irish/British club. He can be a numpty at times and this was a silly thing to say but after 7 pages this thread has run its course and thus we have kinda gone off topic here and onto the topic of what would be another thread altogether, one thats been done before so for now... Locked!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement