Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will an american tv work in Ireland & connect ok with the UPC box?

• 31-12-2012 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

We have recently gotten a UPC fibre power bundle for our apartment. However we still need to get a tv with an hdmi input (only type of connection our box has). I am visiting relatives in the States and notice that TVs are much cheaper here, does anyone know if it will work in Ireland if I bring one back with me?

Obviously a power converter wold be needed, but I'm more concerned with whether or not the signal from the box would work with the tv through the hdmi input without me needing to mess around with it too much. It would only be a small 20" or so TV but I still want to make sure it's worth it to bring one back with me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You will be liable for 23% VAT on the TV importing it into Ireland if you're stopped by customs. I can't see the carton fitting into the overhead locker in a plane so you'd probably have to pack it in a wheelie case with lots of clothes for padding.

It will probably be NTSC only so will not work off an aerial over here but the HDMI connection for a cable TV box will be fine.

For what you'll save on a 20" TV I can't see that it's worth the hassle and that's even before you start to look for a 110V/220V transformer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dede12

forgot about possible VAT tax completely! i can bring a transformer from the states as well & yeah, would prob be packing it into a wheelie case, but when ya put it that way it does seem like it might make more sense to just buy one there than deal with the hassle. w/ vat included it probably negates any real savings anyways.

Advertisement