Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013: The End of Facebook?

• 31-12-2012 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭

I predict Facebook will start its downturn to extinction in 2013. What ya reckon?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I reckon this is gonna be a ****e failure of a thread.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

I reckon this is gonna be a ****e failure of a thread.....

Love a good aul failed thread. Hasn't been one for about 5 minutes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I predict Facebook will start its downturn to extinction in 2013. What ya reckon?

Why would that make you happy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

Why would that make you happy?

No, "one" is ****ting "oneself", I bought major shares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

donvito99 likes this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

What are you basing this prediction on?

Schism wrote: »
    What are you basing this prediction on?

Gut feeling...shares tumbling.

Analysts at Morgan Stanley, J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. and Goldman Sachs Group Inc. have continued their support for Facebook Inc.'s stock since the company's initial public offering, the Wall Street Journal reports.
    The three firms, the biggest underwriters in Facebook's (NASDAQ: FB) IPO, have issued 40 reports on the stock urging investors to buy.
    Other firms involved in the offering have also remained upbeat and encouraged investors to buy or hold Facebook shares.
    Shares of the social networking company are down nearly a third from its debut price of $38, to $25.91 at closing on Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

The shares are completely overpriced as the site can’t make the money people are projecting because the ads only generate so much money and people won’t pay for this kind of service. It may not fail but a share price crash is inevitable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

For Facebook to have it's downfall there has to be an up incoming rival that out does it on some level, google+ isn't that. Twitter isn't really a direct competitor either like Facebook was to bebo or MySpace.

Facebook might decline a bit but it's here to stay for a few more years anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

One day facebook will be nothing but the likes of "Happy Birthday to <insert Name> who is 3 today" and "RIP Auntie Mavis, cant believe its been 34 years already".

1ZRed wrote: »
    For Facebook to have it's downfall there has to be an up incoming rival that out does it on some level, google+ isn't that. Twitter isn't really a direct competitor either like Facebook was to bebo or MySpace.

Facebook might decline a bit but it's here to stay for a few more years anyway.

I might keep the house for a wee while yet so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Everything comes to an end :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Hopefully not. I've a few friends working there and the last thing the country needs is more job losses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

One day facebook will be nothing but the likes of "Happy Birthday to <insert Name> who is 3 today" and "RIP Auntie Mavis, cant believe its been 34 years already".

It's like that already since the Bebo generation became "adults"

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

As Kipling said; Far-called our armies melt away
    On dune and headland sinks the fire,
    And facebook and all suchlike,
    Are one with Nineveh and Tyre!

So I'd say sell while you still can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭DavidMelv

Once something new and different comes around it will start to slowly go downhill from their

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

123balltv wrote: »
    Except the last Lord of the Rings movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Malibu Sunshine

Facebook is far too big to do a Bebo or a Myspace, it'll be around for many years.

But the day its cool to say "Ive permanently deleted my facebook" is fast approaching for many aged 16 - 25. Its just not cool enough anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

5 years until the next big thing emerges, the Facebook dies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Two things coud make this happen:

1) Something else huge comes along and people move to it (very unlikely, although unpredictable, as the likes of twitter/facebook/etc. itself were).

2) The company shoots itself, release the phone people have been on about, does something else misguided -- Zuckerberg has been prone to thinking he's bigger than he is, and companies like this have to branch out or die - branching out in the wrong direction could make the company implode.

The people who build these companies, as in the employees and the adverisers, are amazingly fickle. They'll follow what's good for them, as in conditions and money. Even if you have a solid revenue stream,you can't just sit ther eindefinitely raking in cash in this industry -- cash sources degrade over time, and you have to do new and interesting things or you won't keep your people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

123balltv wrote: »

Keith Richards laughs at your generalization.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Analysts at Morgan Stanley, J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. and Goldman Sachs Group Inc. have continued their support for Facebook Inc.'s stock since the company's initial public offering, the Wall Street Journal reports.
    The three firms, the biggest underwriters in Facebook's (NASDAQ: FB) IPO, have issued 40 reports on the stock urging investors to buy.
    Other firms involved in the offering have also remained upbeat and encouraged investors to buy or hold Facebook shares.
    Shares of the social networking company are down nearly a third from its debut price of $38, to $25.91 at closing on Friday

Of course they are urging people to buy shares.

Economics 101 increase demand = increased prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Facebook doesn't make anything of real value. It just a web site of people talking to each other. If people stopped using it, it no longer would hold value for advertisers, and the site would end.

Its a shame to think of the wads of Bono's cash (that he earned from getting the adoring masses to shout back at him "No War! I said No War"" etc)....going down the swanee.

I disagree.

It began in 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Facebook doesn't make anything of real value. It just a web site of people talking to each other. If people stopped using it, it no longer would hold value for advertisers, and the site would end.

The phrase "Money for old rope" springs to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

But how will we organise our new years eve 2013 parties without facebook?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭skyfall2012

You might be affecting the share price with this thread! Put out a good old fashioned rumour that the shares are going up, problem solved:)

VinLieger wrote: »
    But how will we organise our new years eve 2013 parties without facebook?

Empty baked bean cans connected by lengths of string. Its the new, cheaper way to communicate.

Empty baked bean cans connected by lengths of string. Its the new, cheaper way to communicate.

Baked bean cans for a landline.

Rectangular sardine cans for mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Judging by my two kids, it's here to stay for a while longer. They no longer text their friends, if they want to chat, they do so on facebook, because that's where all their other friends go to chat as well.

Considering one's 12, and has about 4-8 more years of talking guff to his mates ahead of him, and texts require credit, and Faceburp is free, I'd say your moneys safeish.

Well, as safeish as a share you probably paid 30+ for and will settle long term at somwhere around 8-10 can be. Can I interest you in a VW Phaeton?:)

Honestly, I really hope Facebook doesn't shut down. Otherwise I'll just have to remember people's birthdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Edmundy

wishful thinking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I hope it doesnt go anywhere. I have friends in America, Spain, England, Denmark, China and an ever growing number in Australia. It would be a pain to try and keep up with them without Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Pottler wrote: »
    Judging by my two kids, it's here to stay for a while longer. They no longer text their friends, if they want to chat, they do so on facebook, because that's where all their other friends go to chat as well.

Considering one's 12, and has about 4-8 more years of talking guff to his mates ahead of him, and texts require credit, and Faceburp is free, I'd say your moneys safeish.

Well, as safeish as a share you probably paid 30+ for and will settle long term at somwhere around 8-10 can be. Can I interest you in a VW Phaeton?:)

Thought the minimum age for fb was 13?

I've come too close to quite a few "Friends You Might know" aka "tossers" whom I did know back in the day. I'm not sure if my renewed awareness of them is a good or bad thing.

But as long as it doesn't negatively effect share price, all FB tossers are Friends o'mine, yes Lordee Lawd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I want to know who the fook they are going to extinct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I hope it doesnt go anywhere. I have friends in America, Spain, England, Denmark, China and an ever growing number in Australia. It would be a pain to try and keep up with them without Facebook.

How did you ever manage without FB.:rolleyes:

You'd swear is was the only thing of its kind. I used MSN for years before FB was even a brain fart and it still does all FB does for me. Now Gmail chat is just as good without all that FB sh1te.

Can't have a night out without a camera shoved in your face every 5 mins thanks to FB. Hope it dies, and digital cameras in pubs and clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

They were in Ireland? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Shzm wrote: »
    Thought the minimum age for fb was 13?
    13 months? It could be. Some kids might lie about their age to be able to go fight the cyber-chat war. Shocking stuff, I know.

You'd swear is was the only thing of its kind. I used MSN for years before FB was even a brain fart and it still does all FB does for me. Now Gmail chat is just as good without all that FB sh1te.

Can't have a night out without a camera shoved in your face every 5 mins thanks to FB. Hope it dies, and digital cameras in pubs and clubs.

How true is that...you cant go out for a pint without ending up on someones FB...not good for the cheaters..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

What may happen is that its share price may finally correct itself to its true value. All that will mean is that those like the OP who have bought FB shares will lose much of their stake. Not cool but it is inevitable.

What may happen is that its share price may finally correct itself to its true value. All that will mean is that those like the OP who have bought FB shares will lose much of their stake. Not cool but it is inevitable.

Sorry I just had to check we were still in AH, continue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Sorry I just had to check we were still in AH, continue.

Can i finish? Can i finish? Ok, I'm finished.

Hold on, hold onnnn.....there, you may.

Baby wipes are good, for loads of things, I will not get trapped.

Advertisement