Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify this tree...

Options
  • 31-12-2012 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Was wondering what this could be, have dozens that sprung up randomly over the last year or so in a ghost estate at the back of my house.

img00016201212311528.jpg

img00015201212311527.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like it could be alder - is it on damp ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

looks like it could be alder

Agreed - they seed freely so there must be others nearby. Fast growing, they will grow in most types of soil, not just damp.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

yep, it would be damp enough - seed freely is the style alright, random clumps of them all over the place. Would some of the younger ones be able to be moved easily, would they take to a new location at this time of year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Yes, you can move them anytime from now until about mid March or so -- depending on the weather. The smaller ones will ultimately be a better choice as they won't need staking and will soon outgrow any bigger ones. But they do grow quickly and as they age they tend to drop their lower branches naturally, so will need to be underplanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

Just an alternative suggestion, it might be Mountain Ash? Sorbus aucuparia? I cannot see the buds clearly in the picture, but the markings in the young bark look like the self seeded MA that that I have around my garden. Anyway, same rules apply about moving it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

the purple "old mans thumb" buds are just about visible and the lenticels on the stem are very evident, both of which point to alder.

Advertisement