Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elite:dangerous

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

One of my top few games of all time, played on the C64, Amiga, PC. This will be my first kickstarter contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

I've been watching this over the past few weeks, I really hope it reaches its target, but it was a poor Kickstarter campaign.

I confess I'm not as big into games as I use to be and can't compare it to too many other Kickstarter titles, I'm a bit out of the loop, but it almost seemed like a knee-jerk reaction to Star Citizen's Kickstarter. Their initial launch really had nothing in comparison...as if it was very rushed. A little concept art and that was it, followed by a fairly shoddy video of a dogfight through some asteroids. They were completely relying on nostalgia to fund this project, and it think it's suffered as a result. Looking at their page now, it's improved a lot, but it's too little too late I feel.

Apparently games get quite a boost in pledges in the final day or two. I really hope it does, but I'm not as excited about an Elite 4 as I may have been a couple of years ago. Also, Elite: Dangerous is a terrible name (working title?). Looking forward to Star Citizen and the next X:3. I'm not sure Elite has much to offer other than nostalgia for those who remember the old games. I hope I'm wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

It's over the line, just - £25,000 above target with a couple of days to go. Really thought it wouldn't make it, but will be watching to see how this title develops (nice to see a franchise unknown outside this part of the world getting a new lease of life). After years of threatening to do so, Braben now has to make the damn thing!

It's great to see what developers have achieved by appealing to fans on Kickstarter; a new Lucasarts-style graphic adventure and a new Shadowrun are very exciting prospects for me (don't give a damn about that Peter Molyneux thing though, as Populous had aged incredibly badly by the mid90s, and don't get me started on Fable.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

New video out. The clip shows an initial attack on a battlecruiser by smaller spacecraft followed by capital ship on capital ship violence.

Elite: Dangerous Progress Diary 09 Alpha Phase One

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That looks great.

Might actually be a good thing for them that everyone is focused on Star Citizen. Lets them quietly work away and make the game they want. Hope it lives up to expectations, and we get two fantastic space sims.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

That's pretty cool looking. Managing your ships heat is a great idea. Hopefully it's fully utilised and not a gimmick that doesn't really play into the game at all.

Elite Dangerous Alpha: To Catch A Predator (Mission 5)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/20/elite-dangerous-oculus-rift/
    ... as I sat down, he (David Braben) asked me if I wanted to play Elite: Dangerous on the Oculus Rift? Did I? I did. I’m allowed to tell you this because the Elite alpha has just updated support for Track IR, 3D TVs, and the Oculus Rift, and my time with it has convinced me I need a Rift in my life. ...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Looks great. Have they not added the Newtonian Physics to it yet? By that i mean Babylon 5 style, fly in one direction while pointing your ship in another direction type flying.

Kiith wrote: »
    Looks great. Have they not added the Newtonian Physics to it yet? By that i mean Babylon 5 style, fly in one direction while pointing your ship in another direction type flying.

I don't honestly know, but it will be implemented.

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Elite:_Dangerous_FAQ
    How will flying assist work? Will I be able to turn it off?yH5BAEAAAEALAAAAAABAAEAQAICTAEAOw%3D%3DEdit

In the Alpha (started December 2013) flying assist is on by default. You can turn it off during flight and in teh final game it will be possible to damage it during space battles or collisions. With fly assist off the flight model is Newtonian with 2 restrictions: 1. there is a maximum speed - mainly for multiplayer internet latency issues but also so that fighting can occur within human reacton times. 2. Yaw ('spin' or turning the ship around horizontally) is slowed ('weak thrusters'). This is to encourage 'roll' based classic Elite play and to avoid the 'circle strafe' approach to combat often found in FPS games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Kiith wrote: »

It's in, yes. There's a toggle to switch of "flight assist" which gives Newtonian movement, albeit with the speed limit still intact.

In Elite II and III, there was full Newtonian motion- complete with ludicrous speeds- but apparently this was not practical for multiplayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Did any older boardsie play either the original Elite on BBC or ZX Spectrum or the Elite Frontier II ? Could Elite 4 be under Simulation?

Elite: Dangerous Alpha Phase 3.0 - Docking Tutorial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Oooh that looks cool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's very impressive stuff, particularly how they've integrated the ship UI with your own in-game one. Very immersive. I also love how the ship & station designs echo those from the old BBC Micro; all in all the game seems to be coming along at a steady pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I wonder will they put in a reference to the fact in the old game there was a bug that if you selected a destination and then just before you docked you could hyperjump straight to that area

Skerries wrote: »
    I wonder will they put in a reference to the fact in the old game there was a bug that if you selected a destination and then just before you docked you could hyperjump straight to that area

They might put in an exploit/Easter egg in the single player game, but I think the multiplayer aspect will probably try to avoid anything that could unbalance the game play.

I'm disappointed the seamless landing on planets will be DLC, but I'm so excited about this project I'll probably cough up anyway. After all it is Elite :)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭AntDub

gugleguy wrote: »
    Did any older boardsie play either the original Elite on BBC or ZX Spectrum or the Elite Frontier II ? Could Elite 4 be under Simulation?

OMG only just spotted this today, this was one of my favourite games in my teens on the Amiga. Seriously thinking of buying this.
    Did you get it yet?

No, I still am digesting the article in the EDGE magazine, which I specially bought (I don't normally buy this). Dealing with other personal issues as well right now, I don't have a lot of time. Lets see what other bites this thread gets.

From what I've read so far, it's £200 to buy in at the mo so you can be part of the beta / alpha ( correct me someone if I'm wrong ), price should drop to a normal game price once released, can't see when the release date is thought yet. Gonne be 1 hell of a game though.
    1 to look out for :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Forum Requests. Apologies if I've moved it to the wrong forum, I've no idea what genre this would fall under.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I played Elite II a lot, I have to say. Blew my mind back in the day.

I'll be keeping an eye on this and how it develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Played both Elite and Frontier. Can not wait for this. Well, I can. I can wait until it becomes a more reasonable price. But once it does, I'll be all over it.

I'll have to be patient as well. Also, I'll probably need to buy FRESH PC hardware to optimize my engagement and enjoyment. .... And to think I played Frontier Elite 2 on a 1Megabyte Atari STe, ofcourse lets not forget the BBC Micro only had 32 Kilobytes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I can't wait for this, was a big fan of frontier on the Amiga too. It still amazes me they fit the universe on a floppy disk

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just stumbled on this thread now and looked it up...

Wow!

I loved the original back in the day.. Amstrad CPC 464 with a tape drive and green screen! :P

Still remember the day I destroyed an Asp and collected the cargo to see "Cloaking Device" flash on the screen. Cue frantic pressing of keys to figure out what one activated it (it was undocumented, but Y as I recall) before I was destroyed.. many attempts were made before I got it right!

Unlike the Star Trek version you could fire while cloaked, but the energy drain was a killer.

Will definitely be watching this one - looks like it might finally happen this time.

This Alpha Combat Test video is well worth a watch too.

Looks frickin awsome!
    Dying for this game to be released , I was only thinking about this game a few months ago(not knowing it was being remade) when I heard this tune on tv www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsuWgLEQBxM .
    Brought back some memories, I spent hours upon hours upon hours on this game.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I spent forever playing this on the Amiga and spend god knows how long looking for the non-existent Mirage that was supposed to be your reward at reaching Elite Status .
    Could not justify 200 quid though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've spent the last hour or so (amazing how time flies on YouTube!) watching the vids from the guy I linked above and I think as good as this looks so far, it's really going to be up against Star Citizen

Check out the vids he does of the hanger module.. absolutely fantastic stuff! :eek:

Will Elite have anything like this? It'll need it I think, but I'll likely pick it up anyway if it turns out anything like the Alpha vids - assuming I can afford what looks to be monster PC hardware requirements by then!

• Advertisement

correct me if 'm wrong but elite 4 will need 16 GB RAM TO play comfortably on your motherboard?

Advertisement