Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't we been here before ? Well let's do it better this time !

Options
  • 31-12-2012 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭

Hello and welcome to a new log for a new year following the same path of an old journey.

Background and quick recap:

I started running early in 2012. I was overweight (still am to be honest but we will get to that shortly :)) I originally started off with a time goal for a 5 mile race but as time progressed turned my sights to last years Dublin marathon. An injury sustained about 6 weeks out knackered my training at a critical point but I went ahead and ran anyway (ran / walked to be more accurate) covering the distance in 5 hours 36 minutes. A much longer version of this story can be read in my old log here.

Current status:

I've been laid up since the DCM. The injury in question has kept me off my feet completely. I got out for one small run a few days ago and that's it. I've put on quite a bit of weight in the last 2 months. Bit of a shocker actually as I've just weighed in at 15 Stone 13lbs not much lighter than when I started running last year. :o The run itself was hard - managed less than 2km running over a 4km distance. I feel like a beginner again but I do know that there is a base underneath which a few weeks work will uncover.

The Goals:

1. Lose a lot of weight. Aiming to be at 13 stone for DCM 13
    2. Run DCM 13 in a much improved time. I'm not going to peg myself to a time goal just yet but it will be around 4:00 to 4:30. One thing I did learn from last year was not to set goals too early !
    3. Beat my 5 mile, 10k, 10 mile and half marathon PB's during the build up.
    The Plan:

1. I'm going back to the start and restarting the couch to 5k program that I followed last January. I will however be running this a good bit faster than last time with the aim being to set a base that is comfortable running faster. I may even skip a few runs / weeks if I find that the fitness level is better than expected. The end goal of this section will be to run a 5k in 25 minutes and my pacing for the weeks up to this will be based on a 5min per kilometre pace.
    2. From there I'm going onto Hal Higdons intermediate spring training program.
    3. Finally I will be following a mixture of the Hal Higdon Novice 1 and 2 programs (If all goes according to plan I will be mentoring this years novice thread so I want to stay close to what the group will be running)
    4. Weight loss goal of 1lb per week. This is totally doable but will involve a big diet change and cutting down if not altogether of beer etc. My current weight includes the christmas excesses so I do expect to get a bit of a headstart / bank some lbs in the coming weeks.
    This log will serve as tracker for the year. On a personal level I know it will motivate me to stick to my plan. I will post my weight on a weekly basis which again will encourage me to stick to the diet or else face instant shame :D I'm also hoping it will serve as inspiration for others in the same boat, be that of total beginners, those carrying a few extra lbs or lapsed beginners like myself.

Thanks for reading and as with the last log please feel free to post any advice or thoughts you may have for me along the way. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Good to see you back PM, best of luck with the new log.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Brilliant. I love it! Best of luck PM :D

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Best of luck PM, glad to hear your back logging again :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Almost missed this! Best of luck PM and here is to an injury free new year!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Couch To 5K - Week 1 Day 1

Today calls for 5 min warmup walk, 8 x 1 minute runs with 1.5 minutes brisk walking inbetween and then a 5 min cool down walk.

As mentioned in the OP I'm aiming to increase the pace on these runs over last year so that not only do I regain the fitness buried under 2 months of inactivity, but that I come out of the 9 week program running at a faster pace over the shorter runs. I'm hoping that this will give me a better base to push on from for this years DCM.

Things went reasonably well if you forget about the fact I stopped for a mini hurl after run 5 :D It's very hard - nigh on impossible to nail the correct pace in a one minute burst. My watch (and all GPS watches I suspect) calculates your current pace based on pace over a previous period which I think for mine is at least 30 seconds if not more. So I was off and running but looking down at a lot slower pace than I was covering as some of the previous 30 seconds was spent walking. A glance at the more indepth data once home confirmed this. The first and fifth sets in particular were ran faster than 5 min/km pace whilst the 6th set was slower than the targetted pace and I was in danger of not making the full minute. No great surprise given set 5 had my stomach churning.

All of this will even out though as the set of runs lengthens over the next couple of weeks as well as my body getting used to the pace. For the moment any increase in pace over my previously comfortable 6-7 min/km feels like a sprint. :)

All things considered a good run. It feels a bit like a stepback from where I was at one point but it's good to ease back into things and the fact it is at an increased pace feels like progress is being made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Which garmin do you have? Does it have a 'lap' button?
    If you manually hit the 'lap' button before the fast bit your pace be displayed as part of your current lap only.....you can hit the lap button again at the end of your fast bit so that when you see the data afterwards you will see the details for that section seperately....

Hi Meno

It's actualy a Soleus 2.0 but I hear what you're saying. It does have the facility to do manual splits. I will give that a go on the next one and see if pace is tracked more accurately. Thanks for the tip. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Best of luck, will be watching, following and supporting !

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Good luck, nice to see you back at it.

Couch to 5k Week 1 Run 2

Session wise this is a carbon copy of run 1.

Wasn't in the mood for this at all. I was tired, hungry and nursing a thumping headache. All the result of withdrawal from junk food / dieting. That said I was never in danger of skipping it. PM is back and focused !

Quite happy with how things went. A marked improvement on Tuesday. Not a hint of sickness at all during the runs, reasonably comfortable running (was struggling just a little bit towards the end of the last few intervals but was well capable of it)

@Meno - I tapped the watch for a new split for each 1 minute run. Although it didn't help with the "live" pace data (this still took 20-30 seconds to stabilise after the increase in pace) the split data that downloaded from the watch afterwards showed average pace for each split at 4:58 to 5:25 min per km. I'm not too sure if this data is being calculated as a separate calculation from start of split to end of split only or if it is an average of the "current" pace the watch showed for that minute. Obviously the former is more accurate. Either way as the weeks go by the runs increase time wise so it will even out.

The good thing was that the headache disappeared within 30 seconds of getting out there and I felt great for it. The bad thing - I referred to myself in the 3rd person earlier in this post. Won't happen again ! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Current pace is very unreliable in the Garmins also and I rarely use it. Have a look at the watch and see if you can display the pace as the average of the current lap (on my garmin you chose 'Pace-Lap')...
    I am pretty sure the data on the upload would refer to the average pace of that lap...

Great to see you back PM, I missed those posts!

Finally able to use your own spreadsheet again also after having to create a tabs for us shower for a few months! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

best of luck with the return to running, good to see you back at it.
    Don't be worrying about pace at the minute, give yourself a week or two of regular running before worring about the paces yet.

Younganne wrote: »
    best of luck with the return to running, good to see you back at it.
    Don't be worrying about pace at the minute, give yourself a week or two of regular running before worring about the paces yet.

Hi Younganne - thanks for stopping by :)

Not too fixated on hitting exact pacing targets. I just want to set a faster base pace for the shorter runs than I did first time round. Blockic is being mean to me you see. I mentioned running the DCM this year with him if he was pacing one of the slower groups (let's face it - it's the only time I will be running a marathon alongside him :D) and suddenly that fecker says he is is going to apply for the 4 hour group. :mad: :p

Week 1 Run 3

Carbon copy again of run 1.

Continued improvement comfort wise, pace wise and distance wise (it's a time based session so the faster you go the further you cover)

Actually was looking forward to and was excited to run today. Great to get that buzz back. :)

I mentioned running the DCM this year with him if he was pacing one of the slower groups (let's face it - it's the only time I will be running a marathon alongside him :D) and suddenly that fecker says he is is going to apply for the 4 hour group. :mad: :p

OI!! Don't be blaming your fast runs in training on me!:mad::D;)

blockic wrote: »
    OI!! Don't be blaming your fast runs in training on me!:mad::D;)

Ha was wondering if you'd spot that. :D

Weekly weigh in time:

15 Stone 9.8 lbs

Guts of 4 lbs down on last Monday which is a good start. You'd obviously expect a bigger loss on the first week but still nice to bank an extra 3lbs above the weekly target.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Well done PM,a nice steady start to the year.:)

Week 2 Run 1 and 2

Got out for run 1 on Tuesday and run 2 tonight.

Sessions are a small step up - 6 x 1.5 min with 2 min walking inbetween.

Nothing too major to report. Tonight I wasn't feeling great and my old nemesis the left leg was starting to niggle a bit so slowed the pace down. Got through it quite easily once the pace was dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Will be following thread with interest.glad u are back.also trying to lose weight so hoping you inspire me!!

dechol wrote: »
    Will be following thread with interest.glad u are back.also trying to lose weight so hoping you inspire me!!

Best of luck yourself dechol.

Am going to fall off the wagon a bit this evening - trip to cinema to see Les Mis is on the cards which means a bucket of popcorn and possibly a beer afterwards. :eek: Might sneak in an extra run tomorrow to burn off a few calories. Am determined to chalk up a loss on Monday morning. :)

Am going to fall off the wagon a bit this evening - trip to cinema to see Les Mis is on the cards which means a bucket of popcorn and possibly a beer afterwards. :eek: Might sneak in an extra run tomorrow to burn off a few calories. Am determined to chalk up a loss on Monday morning. :)
    I've heard its excellent........jealous much!!! :D

Stand by for worse ...

Booked seats before Christmas as a pressie for Mrs Messiah. Front and centre of the premier seats in the isense screen in Blanch. Should be spectacular. :)

Stand by for worse ...

Booked seats before Christmas as a pressie for Mrs Messiah. Front and centre of the premier seats in the isense screen in Blanch. Should be spectacular. :)
    Wow....I hate hope you have an amazing time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Only seeing this log now. Great to see you back running pm. Good luck with the log.

Week 2 Day 3 - with an added bit at the end.

Couch to 5k program calls once again for 6 x 1.5 mins interspersed with a 2 min walk break in between.

After falling off the wagon a little bit on Friday and eating some Pizza yesterday :eek: I was super motivated to get out and do the run this morning. I had in the back of my mind skipping the couch to 5k part and just doing a LSR (well maybe not too long!) at a nice and slow comfortable pace run walk run if needed but just do a bit more than 9 min running.

Woke up this morning and it was freezing. I don't even remember running in very cold weather last year at all. Let the dog out for a wee (more like threw him out as I came down to a nice pile of ****e in the middle of the floor :mad:) and it was icy. Brief thought of holding off the run until this evening and then thought about the pizza and popcorn and the fact tomorrow morning is weekly weigh in time so HTFU and went off looking for a hat and gloves to put on. With all the messing around I realised I was pushing it time wise to do a LSR as I was due in work today. Decided to do the C25K program as dictated but rather than turn around half way through keep going. Knocked out session 4 and 5 before turning back which meant that as session 6 (the last one) was kicking in I was still a good bit away from home. I decided to take the pace down a notch and see if I could hang on until home. Delighted with myself 8 min later to make it home without stopping.

Although it feels a little silly to be celebrating an 8 min run after being capable of runnng miles and miles a few months ago, it does represent a leap of progress on the way back from injury. :) Speaking of injury - as mentioned in last update that leg is niggling again so I've been to the doc and we're getting an MRI organised just to completely rule out that stress fracture. I don't want to mess up this years DCM by doing too much too soon either.

Roll on tomorrows weigh in !

Stand by for worse ...

Let's be honest here, you got these for yourself! :D;)
    I've been to the doc and we're getting an MRI organised just to completely rule out that stress fracture. I don't want to mess up this years DCM by doing too much too soon either.

Hallelujah!!:) Best thing to do PM, for peace of mind if anything. Looks like you are getting back on track anyway which is great!!

Previous weight: 15 Stone 9.8 lbs
    Current weight: 15 Stone 7.6 lbs

Loss this week: 2.2 lbs

Very happy with that. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Just saw this new log now, PM. Congratulations on all the weight loss so far! You'll be back better than ever in no time. You can do it. :)

Advertisement