Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't we been here before ? Well let's do it better this time !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

I just found your new thread!
    Well done on the loss, you and me are in a similar (fat) boat...lol
    I do get the feeling 2013 is going to be our year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

zooming wrote: »
    I just found your new thread!
    Well done on the loss, you and me are in a similar (fat) boat...lol
    I do get the feeling 2013 is going to be our year!!!

Well one or both of us needs to get out of the boat before it sinks !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Good man PM, was going to comment on ur other log, but that pic is an apt way to end the log. Love it.

Week 3 Day 1

I'm finding that I am outgrowing the program which is positive in itself.

What was meant to happen was:

Run 1.5 min, Walk 1.5 min, Run 3 min, Walk 3 min, Run 1.5 min, Walk 1.5 min, Run 3 min.

What actually happened was I didn't fancy walking the full 3 min in bold so cut the walk short and decided to jog on through the rest of the session and finish it from there. I actually went a bit further and pushed that particular jog out to 10 min.

I think my couch to 5k second trip around might skip quite a few steps along the way !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I think my couch to 5k second trip around might skip quite a few steps along the way !

Looks like you are a step above this program PM and maybe it would be more beneficial for you to start looking further a field to the next one?

You would probably build up your aerobic fitness faster with a step up from C25K.

What would you be thinking of looking at next to you reckon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'm late to the party PM, only spotting your new log now. Best of luck with the plan and also your upcoming MRI. Hope Mrs PM is also keeping well.

When I started running a few years back, I lapsed after my first c25k so did it a second time. Like yourself, I felt I'd outgrown the plan, so I skipped forward a couple of weeks with no ill effects. Obviously you don't want to push it too soon with your injury, but I'd say you'd be safe enough skipping forward a week or two.

Best of luck.

blockic wrote: »

Looks like you are a step above this program PM and maybe it would be more beneficial for you to start looking further a field to the next one?

You would probably build up your aerobic fitness faster with a step up from C25K.

What would you be thinking of looking at next to you reckon?

Yeah I went with this more as a gentle introduction back in and to take it easy whilst building back up but there's no point in taking it way too easy which is why I just went for it tonight. Looks like the underlying fitness is coming back quicker than I expected.

I reckon I should be running 5k within 2-3 weeks not the 6 or 7 that the program would have done. From there I'm not too sure. Bit of research needed.

I've had a piss poor week on the fitness front. Snowed under in work - had to take paperwork home with me and ended up working either late in work or at home (until 3am Friday night / sat morning) all week. Running took a back seat and nourishment was provided by take away, bottles of lucozade and chocolate. So tomorrows weigh in is likely to be a bit of a step back.

Good news though is paperwork etc finished and I dragged my ass out of bed early this morning to get in a run before going to work. Decided to abandon the couch to 5k program as it isn't really pushing me enough. Went out this morning with the goal of completing 5k be that running or walking but more in keeping with my current limits as opposed to the program which could be selling me short. Started off with 500m jog then a 200m walk, another 500m jog and 200m walk, then a 600m jog / 200m walk and an 800m jog, 250m walk. At tht point after increasing the distances slightly at each session decided I would rather optimistically aim for a 1.7km jog to finish off the 5k. He shoots but he does not score :D Legs gave up on me after another 600 metres or so and I had to stop to stretch out - calves were burning at that point. Finished it off to 5k after that in a glorious ;) time of 37 minutes. Stil it is 5k completed, a benchmark to come back from and more importantly a bit of excercise ahead of the weigh in tomorrow.

I think I may have banjaxed my left hamstring :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

How is the original injury PM, are you over that yet or are you threading carefully?

• Advertisement

Running took a back seat and nourishment was provided by take away, bottles of lucozade and chocolate.

Tut, tut! Those highlighted words will be banned from the 2013 Novice thread. It wll be a dictatorship, not a democracy! :D;)
    I think I may have banjaxed my left hamstring :(

What's it like, just stiff or is there inflammation? Do you stretch these days after the runs?

I slacked off the stretching there for a couple of weeks and really felt a difference and not in a good way. I find the stretching as important as the runs before and after.

Tut, tut! Those highlighted words will be banned from the 2013 Novice thread. It wll be a dictatorship, not a democracy! :D;)

What's it like, just stiff or is there inflammation? Do you stretch these days after the runs?

I slacked off the stretching there for a couple of weeks and really felt a difference and not in a good way. I find the stretching as important as the runs before and after.

Sssh don't tell them ;)

It came on rather suddenly yesterday afternoon. Very faint pain gradually increasing. Touch wood it seems ok today ! Yes have been religiously stretching even mid run yesterday :) I actually suspect an over stretch may have been the problem tbh.
    rasher_m wrote: »
    How is the original injury PM, are you over that yet or are you threading carefully?

Threading very carefully - it's still niggling at me so am taking things very easy and getting an MRI sorted etc just to be 100% safe.

Previous weight: 15 Stone 7.6 lbs
    Current weight: 15 Stone 6.0 lbs

Loss this week: 1.6 lbs

Considering I was braced for the possibility of a gain got to be happy with that.

It does beg the question though - how in God's name did I lose it this week ?

Only got out twice and had an appalling half week nutrition wise. Add in a the first set of beers in weeks (paperwork is no fun without a bottle of Miller ;) says he like a true alcoholic :eek:) Not sure if I carried a bigger loss into the second half of the week which got pegged back a bit or if I carried some residual loss in from last week that will bite me for next week. Time will tell but for the moment I've shifted over half a stone in 3 weeks and am staying focused on the positive of that.

Been sick as a dog since Monday. Was at docs this morning. Viral infection = no running :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Sorry to hear that PM. Take it easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Been sick as a dog since Monday. Was at docs this morning. Viral infection = no running :(

Theres a dose going PM, look after yourself and get over it fully.

Weekly weigh in:

Previous weight: 15 Stone 6.0 lbs
    Current weight: 15 Stone 5.2 lbs

Loss this week: 0.8 lbs

Haven't excercised at all in the week just gone. This week not looking too hot either. Still nursing a viral infection. :( Stoked though to see a loss on the scales anyway.

Weekly weigh in:

Previous weight: 15 Stone 6.0 lbs
    Current weight: 15 Stone 5.2 lbs

Loss this week: 0.8 lbs

Haven't excercised at all in the week just gone. This week not looking too hot either. Still nursing a viral infection. :( Stoked though to see a loss on the scales anyway.

Weight loss is going well PM, keep it up! Sorry to hear about the illness you have been through the ringer between that and the injury. Betteer now than the summer though.

Make sure you are full recovered before you put back on the runners. Mr. Slow's horrible experience is a lesson for us all.

Second week with no running. Sickness is so frustrating ! But Mr Slows tale is something to learn from hence my waiting for recovery before getting back out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Second week with no running. Sickness is so frustrating ! But Mr Slows tale is something to learn from hence my waiting for recovery before getting back out there.

Well done on the weight loss pm will be following this log with interest.

• Advertisement

Hows the health PM? Any runs on the horizon? Need to get you up and running!!:)

Finally feeling well enough to have a run. Going to try for a few k in the morning. :)

(Didn't even step on the scales on Monday btw for anyone following - I knew it would be a + and I really didn't feel like getting depressed about it whilst not having an option to do anything about it !)

I got out today for a "run" - in quotation marks as there was a bit of walking involved along the way.

A total of 5k covered with a little over 4k actual running.

500m run
    250m walk
    500m run
    250m walk
    750m run
    250m walk
    700m run
    200m walk
    1.6 km run

Total time 35 min 11 seconds.

Whilst out there I have to be honest I was quite disheartened. I was trying to stay positive etc but each time I had to stop for a walk all I could think about was how far behind my fitness level of last October I was. I tried to turn that negative into a positive by using that as motivation to see it home from about 1.5km out and felt a small moral victory for getting there - then again such victories being followed up by being bent over a bush choking on my own bile are quite hollow. :D

Once home I was thinking about this years DCM and I started to wonder how did I compare now with then. I had a quick look at last years log and it seems I am about 6 weeks ahead fitness wise. And as Mrs Messiah pointed out to me later in the day - I should actually get a bit further ahead as fitness will return quicker than it took to build in the first place last year. So I'm ending the day feeling a bit more positive than I felt during the run itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Do you do any strength and core work? Might be something to consider.

Don't be too down about in PM. That is a good run seeing as you have been out for a couple weeks. Mrs Messiah is a wise one and talks sense!

Consistancy is the main thing you need to focus on now. Getting out 3 times a week, for a number of weeks. The fitness will come back in a flash, the distance will creep up and the walking will reduce.

Maybe set yourself a 5km race like the Park Run or something say in 3/4 weeks time?

It will keep you focused and motivated. Its hard sometimes when there is no goal race on the horizon. My next race is 4 weeks time and I even find that too long a wait! :D

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Do you do any strength and core work? Might be something to consider.

No none at all to be honest but it's definitely on the agenda. If you have any tips or links to suitable excercises I'd be very grateful. :)

Don't be too down about in PM. That is a good run seeing as you have been out for a couple weeks. Mrs Messiah is a wise one and talks sense!

Consistancy is the main thing you need to focus on now. Getting out 3 times a week, for a number of weeks. The fitness will come back in a flash, the distance will creep up and the walking will reduce.

Maybe set yourself a 5km race like the Park Run or something say in 3/4 weeks time?

It will keep you focused and motivated. Its hard sometimes when there is no goal race on the horizon. My next race is 4 weeks time and I even find that too long a wait! :D

Cheers Blockic,

I might just do that - works a bit of an issue at the moment for Sat mornings but I'm sure I could organise cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

PM, you've already proved how tough you are by running the marathon. And you'll run another in due course, as your training picks up. All you need be concerned about the here and now, are you putting your best effort into today's session. Looking at that, you certainly are, man! That's effort, and without that, we might as well go home.

As blockic says, consistency is the key. And patience :) Try not look too far back, or too far forward, if it's a little demotivating right now. Just run each week consistently as it comes, and you'll be fine. :D

The idea of a goal race is a really good idea. It'll give you structure, and give a base line from which you can judge your next move.

Keep it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Thats weird I was thinking about you today when I was out running and wondering how you were getting on :)

I was actually thinking about you in relation to the racehorses because we're just starting off a couple of young racehorses at the moment and they're such babies it takes ages to even teach them how to canter properly. Then there's two more older horses that were on an extended break and are back working and this is were the analogy comes in ...... because you are like these 2 in that the groundwork is done and all ye need is consistent exercise :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Thats weird I was thinking about you today when I was out running and wondering how you were getting on :)

I was actually thinking about you in relation to the racehorses because we're just starting off a couple of young racehorses at the moment and they're such babies it takes ages to even teach them how to canter properly. Then there's two more older horses that were on an extended break and are back working and this is were the analogy comes in ...... because you are like these 2 in that the groundwork is done and all ye need is consistent exercise :D

So you've just referred to poor old pm as a Knackered horse??!!

Motivation is not your strong point ;)

Advertisement