Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't we been here before ? Well let's do it better this time !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Thats weird I was thinking about you today when I was out running and wondering how you were getting on :)

I was actually thinking about you in relation to the racehorses because we're just starting off a couple of young racehorses at the moment and they're such babies it takes ages to even teach them how to canter properly. Then there's two more older horses that were on an extended break and are back working and this is were the analogy comes in ...... because you are like these 2 in that the groundwork is done and all ye need is consistent exercise :D

I actually quite like that analogy. :pac:

Gavlor wrote: »
    So you've just referred to poor old pm as a Knackered horse??!!

Motivation is not your strong point ;)

But at least I'm a stallion ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Gavlor wrote: »
    So you've just referred to poor old pm as a Knackered horse??!!

Motivation is not your strong point ;)

:rolleyes: I guess I didn't explain it very well but what I was trying to say in a long winded way was its not like he's starting from scratch ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

No none at all to be honest but it's definitely on the agenda. If you have any tips or links to suitable excercises I'd be very grateful. :)

Talk to Raqoon Queen and I'm sure she can recommend core exercises which are specific to what you do and your goals. You need to do them though, otherwise you'll probably keep getting injured and falling back to the start again. That shouldn't be happening. The early stage of anyone's running should be one of rapid improvement, not stagnation. Implement a good core routine and you will see the difference. Ease very slowly into it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Ahem!!! Cough..cough...??? :D

Just keeping you on your toes!!

• Advertisement

:o:o:o

Sorry folks - it's been a very rough week home work and sickness wise.

I'm very happy though that someone is keeping me on my toes :) kick up the arse gratefully accepted - will be out running tomorrow !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Hi PM, Just caught side of your log now and having read it all, just want to wish you all the best in your training and weight loss. Trying to lose a few lbs myself as well as come back from injury so am familiar with your plight.

I followed your progress closely on the novices thread last year so have no doubts about your mental strenght to get you to the places you want to go. Good luck and keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

Keep going PM, we are all behind you!!!!

zooming wrote: »
    Keep going PM, we are all behind you!!!!

Ye are all ahead of me you mean :p

Mondays run did not happen due to twisting my knee whilst helping Mrs Messiah prepare the nest for the new arrival (translate as 2 hours in and out of a cramped attic moving what felt like half the house around!)

Still sore whilst walking so running will have to wait. I'm petrified of doing some serious damage. :( I know that sounds like an excuse but it's the God's honest truth Blockic !! :D

Ye are all ahead of me you mean :p

Mondays run did not happen due to twisting my knee whilst helping Mrs Messiah prepare the nest for the new arrival (translate as 2 hours in and out of a cramped attic moving what felt like half the house around!)

Still sore whilst walking so running will have to wait. I'm petrified of doing some serious damage. :( I know that sounds like an excuse but it's the God's honest truth Blockic !! :D

Haha, you got lucky! I was out on my run tonight and was thinking that PM fella never went out on his run, I'm gotta get back on here to pester him when I get back!!:D:D

I'll leave you off this time so! At least it's not the shin!! Not long to go now for the baba. Sure this time next month you'll be able to make up for lost time by going on 3am runs with the buggy when you can't get back to sleep. ;)

• Advertisement

This time next month will be the day after the birth. (Assuming she makes it all the way to the scheduled C section date.) I can categorically state now that will be a non running day !

This time next month will be the day after the birth. (Assuming she makes it all the way to the scheduled C section date.) I can categorically state now that will be a non running day !

Ah you're all excuses tonight!! ;)

Thought it was early March so expected you to be well settled with the routine at that stage! :)

5km done this morning but not a great run. Knee was hurting from the start. I had set off with the intention of doing more but after the first 2-3 km rather than improving discomfort wise it was getting sorer so I called an early halt and more walked than ran back.

Take it easy PM, dont overdo it!

Today was the first day in over a week that my knee felt ok. Not 100% right but enough to say to myself I'm going to give it a decent go tonight. :)

Bit chilly so decided to get out the compression under top last seen at the DCM 2012. Compression tops are very unforgiving ! Two words came to mind when looking in the mirror. These were: "fat bastard" If anyone has ever seen the cartoons were a character gets a bump on the head, presses it down only for another bump to rise beside it - well that's what I was like pressing fat bumps on one side only to see them pop out again on the other. That ladies and gentlemen is motivation ! So I went out absolutely determined to have a good run.

I planned to cover 5k and to run as much of it as I could. Ended up running 4.2k with 800 metres of walking spread across 3 walk breaks. Total time 38 minutes. As perspective goes that qualifies as a good run. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Fair play PM, keep up the good work

That's more like it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Lovin' your work

great stuff! Whats your next goal

Hi Zooming,

Next major goal will be this years DCM but along the way will be targeting all races I raced last year, Samsung Night Run, DLR 10k, Race Series x 4 - 5 Mile, 10 Mile, 10K (which I missed last year) and the Half Marathon. Looking to improve all times obviously. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I'm far from an expert in weight loss but from your log I gather that you are placing more emphasis on the running side than the diet side (I could be reading into that wrong though). Exercise is extremely important but weight loss is still 80% diet, 20% exercise.

I'd advise having a good long read through myflipflops training log here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056018117&page=12

Ignore his times as he has a very strong high level competitive background in athletics but more so look at his methods of how he lost the weight.

Consistency and good habits are the key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Great point, have read MFF log and agree. PM can certainly match him for determination!!

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    I'm far from an expert in weight loss but from your log I gather that you are placing more emphasis on the running side than the diet side (I could be reading into that wrong though). Exercise is extremely important but weight loss is still 80% diet, 20% exercise.

I'd advise having a good long read through myflipflops training log here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056018117&page=12

Ignore his times as he has a very strong high level competitive background in athletics but more so look at his methods of how he lost the weight.

Consistency and good habits are the key.

No if I'm honest with you and myself diet is not getting the focus it deserves. I tend to eat healthier when running but there has been little to no structure there. When I'm not active running I tend to lose focus on healthy eating.

This:

(Didn't even step on the scales on Monday btw for anyone following - I knew it would be a + and I really didn't feel like getting depressed about it whilst not having an option to do anything about it !)

is a perfect example of that actually. :o

I had caught the start of that log but missed the resurrection in 2012. Spent 20 minutes this morning reading the entire log. It's a true inspiration and certainly strikes a chord with me. Delighted to see MFF hit his goal. :)

Thanks for your post. Diet will be getting a renewed focus.

The road to progress has begun.

4 things of note:

1) MRI appointment finally sorted - taking place tomorrow. So results should be in place for next week.

2) Assessment with personal trainer took place this morning and I have "incredibly tight" leg muscles and my running form is poor - leading to extra impact weight and stress on my joints and muscles. And impact weight will of course be a lot more when you are carrying a few extra stone in weight you shouldn't be. She is 99% confident that no stress fracture will be found but is equally astounded that I haven't torn a muscle in the last year running. :pac: I've now got a set of stretches for just about every muscle in my legs, a new diet plan to follow religiously and most importantly a renewed sense of optimisim for the road ahead.

3) I've had the honour of being appointed this years mentor for the 2013 novices (although most readers of this log will already know this) Blockic and Career Move will be assisting me in this and ncmc is the official go slow ambassador. (Slow as in relatively slow to your own pace running as opposed to ambassador for the very slow people which is more appropriate for me to be fair :D)

4) I have 11 days left before our family is blessed with the arrival of my first son. The weeks after that will be interesting to say the least !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

4 things of note:

1) MRI appointment finally sorted - taking place tomorrow. So results should be in place for next week.

2) Assessment with personal trainer took place this morning and I have "incredibly tight" leg muscles and my running form is poor - leading to extra impact weight and stress on my joints and muscles. And impact weight will of course be a lot more when you are carrying a few extra stone in weight you shouldn't be. She is 99% confident that no stress fracture will be found but is equally astounded that I haven't torn a muscle in the last year running. :pac: I've now got a set of stretches for just about every muscle in my legs, a new diet plan to follow religiously and most importantly a renewed sense of optimisim for the road ahead.

3) I've had the honour of being appointed this years mentor for the 2013 novices (although most readers of this log will already know this) Blockic and Career Move will be assisting me in this and ncmc is the official go slow ambassador. (Slow as in relatively slow to your own pace running as opposed to ambassador for the very slow people which is more appropriate for me to be fair :D)

4) I have 11 days left before our family is blessed with the arrival of my first son. The weeks after that will be interesting to say the least !
    Great news on all fronts PM! And delighted to hear you've a little boy on the way... baby boys rock, they're so cute and placid (says she the childless woman, but I know all my nephews are cool whereas the nieces are little trouble makers!)

4 things of note:

Good man, I was tempted last night to come on here again to kick your ass but said i'd leave it a couple more days!!:D

Good luck with tomorrow, if you keep up the frequency of those stretches they will bring you on big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

ncmc wrote: »
    Great news on all fronts PM! And delighted to hear you've a little boy on the way... baby boys rock, they're so cute and placid (says she the childless woman, but I know all my nephews are cool whereas the nieces are little trouble makers!)

:D to the bold above. I have twin boys. They are not placid. They rock....pretty much anything that isn't tied down. They are great though.

Congrats on all fronts PM. You wear the mentor name well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

guinang wrote: »
    :D to the bold above. I have twin boys. They are not placid. They rock....pretty much anything that isn't tied down. They are great though.

Congrats on all fronts PM. You wear the mentor name well
    As the saying goes 'boys will wreck your house, girls will wreck your head!'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

So I will be in good hands for DCM 2013

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

ncmc wrote: »
    As the saying goes 'boys will wreck your house, girls will wreck your head!'

Whoever invented that saying hasn't met my daughter! Or seen a room after she's been in it for five minutes :pac:

Advertisement