Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't we been here before ? Well let's do it better this time !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Update time:

MRI - Done just before midnight on Saturday (a very surreal experience to turn up to a practically empty hospital / medical centre with an 11.30pm appointment) Also they never show the racket the thing makes on TV ! Results hit the GP in 5-7 days.

Went out for a run today. I was advised to take at least a 10 min warm up walk before running whilst my leg muscles are so tight so that's exactly what I did. It also helps a bit as the first km out of my house is uphill and it meant the run started on flat ground. 5km done - this time only 400m of walking in 2 seperate walk breaks. I decided I would hit 2.3k have a 200m walk and then run the last 2.5km non stop. This sounded easier than it actually was and I was really fighting myself mentally at the 4km mark to keep going. It was cold, very windy,icy underfoot and spitting sleet and snow and I had already ran more non stop than I had in ages etc but I stuck the head down and ploughed through it knowing that I would be very happy with myself to see out the 2.5km. Total time of 35min 55 seconds for 5K which is 2 min faster than last time out (A small feat to be fair but a big milestone for me on this comeback) Stretched as instructed too afterwards too !

Speaking of big - hopped back onto the scales after the run and landed in at 15 stone 9.8 lbs. Bit of weight had crept back on - no great surprise there especially given the chinese and beers I had yesterday as a last supper before starting this diet. Will update next Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Good stuff PM, sounds like you’re making real progress now and hopefully the results of your MRI will be ok.

Another 5k done tonight - aimed for 1 walk break of 200m half way through but had to stop briefly twice to tie an undone lace and also to try and stretch out some very painful burning calves around 4k. Came home slightly slower than Monday but time isn't an issue here at the moment. Other than the calves this was comfortable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Another 5k done tonight - aimed for 1 walk break of 200m half way through but had to stop briefly twice to tie an undone lace and also to try and stretch out some very painful burning calves around 4k. Came home slightly slower than Monday but time isn't an issue here at the moment. Other than the calves this was comfortable enough.

Good work, you managing to get out a few times a week now?

blockic wrote: »

Good work, you managing to get out a few times a week now?

Aiming for 4 !

Obviously things may go astray next week with the new arrival but I am aiming to get back into a regular pattern for DCM 13 prep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Aiming for 4 !

Obviously things may go astray next week with the new arrival but I am aiming to get back into a regular pattern for DCM 13 prep.

All the best for next week - you can't beat babies for Amazing

I just realised last night that new DCM thread had started and just got to end this morning . gutted it's been locked b4 I got in. You and the guys will do a cracking job, and some people have lost the plot! It seems some of the experts don't get that it's running therapy and Kindergarten (that's me anyway) Not the Elite national team. Safe and Fun rather than Fast is the key. And you are a nominated volunteer - let no good deed go unpunished

Hope all works out and mods strap on a pair and back you up!

Anyway don't want to sidetrack your log. I was going to just PM you and CC guys but wanted to say it on boards instead

Walkedit wrote: »

All the best for next week - you can't beat babies for Amazing

I just realised last night that new DCM thread had started and just got to end this morning . gutted it's been locked b4 I got in. You and the guys will do a cracking job, and some people have lost the plot! It seems some of the experts don't get that it's running therapy and Kindergarten (that's me anyway) Not the Elite national team. Safe and Fun rather than Fast is the key. And you are a nominated volunteer - let no good deed go unpunished

Hope all works out and mods strap on a pair and back you up!

Anyway don't want to sidetrack your log. I was going to just PM you and CC guys but wanted to say it on boards instead

Thanks a million for that post.

Unfortunately I believe the time has come and gone for the mod intervention to rescue things and I won't be going forward with the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Thanks a million for that post.

Unfortunately I believe the time has come and gone for the mod intervention to rescue things and I won't be going forward with the thread.

I can understand that, gutted for newbies who will miss out!

Mind yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

How did i miss all this on the DCM thread??

Don't worry about it Zooming :)

• Advertisement

Im reading it now, Im so sorry you were treated like that, we all still love you and you are a fantastic poster on these logs. Never mind, we can still chat on our training logs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I've a lot of sympathy for you PM. You did a noble thing in stepping down. I believe there were a lot of decent points made on all sides of the argument but ultimately the system let you,CM and Blockic down on this occasion ie the process of nomination of Mentor.

I do believe your team would have brought a new and exciting twist to the thread, with guest speakers etc and was looking forward to that. I followed your plight with interest last year and did think you were bonkers doing the marathon, but on the flip side I might have done the same myself as I can be stubborn like that too. Have run a few races myself when I probably shouldn't have.

Anyway I just wanted to applaud your efforts in what you were planning for the thread with your other musketeers and am sorry that it ended up the way it did. I do hope you continue to post regularly here and on the graduates thread because I always enjoy reading your posts. Good luck with your rehab,hope the MRI results are positive and most of all good luck to you and your OH with the impending arrival.

RedRunner wrote: »
    I've a lot of sympathy for you PM. You did a noble thing in stepping down. I believe there were a lot of decent points made on all sides of the argument but ultimately the system let you,CM and Blockic down on this occasion ie the process of nomination of Mentor.

I do believe your team would have brought a new and exciting twist to the thread, with guest speakers etc and was looking forward to that. I followed your plight with interest last year and did think you were bonkers doing the marathon, but on the flip side I might have done the same myself as I can be stubborn like that too. Have run a few races myself when I probably shouldn't have.

Anyway I just wanted to applaud your efforts in what you were planning for the thread with your other musketeers and am sorry that it ended up the way it did. I do hope you continue to post regularly here and on the graduates thread because I always enjoy reading your posts. Good luck with your rehab,hope the MRI results are positive and most of all good luck to you and your OH with the impending arrival.

Thanks RedRunner. I really appreciate the support. I'm looking forward now to Tuesday and to more positive things. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 cluainbolg

I agree with red runner pity to see you stepping down seemed like bit of a witch hunt going on

PM I think your thread is brilliant and fair play to you for offering to mentor the novice thread in the first place! It takes a level of time and commitment that you obviously showed last year. At the end of the day it's a NOVICE thread, none of us will be going to Rio in a few years... Lol

cluainbolg wrote: »
    I agree with red runner pity to see you stepping down seemed like bit of a witch hunt going on

Yeah it kind of felt that way tbh and it sure reads that way. I've had a lot of PM's in the last couple of days about it. But all that said if you take it at face value that the concerns were for the community in general I believe it wasn't a personal witch hunt. The issue was that some people saw me as too inexperienced to lead the thread, focussed on that and completely missed the fact that there was a team plan in place. As RedRunner said a more public / transparent nomination process would have raised the issues a bit more privately and in advance of a thread being started. I'm sure lessons will be learned for future years.

I'm gutted to be honest. There was a hell of a lot of work put in behind the scenes before the thread even started so for a multitude of reasons for the work that went in already and the potential that is now wasted I'm gutted. We had a cracking plan for that thread with lot's of innovations to take it far beyond here's a plan go out and run it. Between the three of us we had all running bases ticked and perhaps I naievly thought that people would see one of the leaders being down and dirty as such with the beginners following the same plan and progressing together as being an asset to the thread.

It seems though that this was wrong. Yes there was people who got that concept and welcomed it but there was too many people who didn't and that's no disrespect to those who didn't. It's simply a difference of opinion. Ultimately the whole thread is a community resource and anything that divided the community the way that did is a massive issue. There's no point in being stubborn about it - truth is the best thing for the community in general is for a plan B to be put in place. That's difficult to face up to for anyone especially when it has played out publically for everyone to see but it has to be faced up to. I've spent the last couple of days considering closing my account here, closing my log off, not going near boards again etc but that would only be childish stomping off because I did not get my way. I'll get over it and more importantly the community here will get over it. I'm sure another thread will be started soon enough and hopefully all of this can be forgotten about then.

You've got my backing PM

• Registered Users Posts: 26 cluainbolg

some people seem to have forgot the purpose of the thread which I thought was to gain some valuable insight into other peoples preparation and then tailor that for our own training anyway let's look forward to Dublin 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭tenreds

Sounded like a great plan PM,that the three of ye's put together and I was so looking forward to following and taking part in it this year,somehow the thread won't hold the same appeal to me and a lot of other people now.

Hope all goes well with the baby and MRI and look forward to reading your thread in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Yeah it kind of felt that way tbh and it sure reads that way. I've had a lot of PM's in the last couple of days about it. But all that said if you take it at face value that the concerns were for the community in general I believe it wasn't a personal witch hunt. The issue was that some people saw me as too inexperienced to lead the thread, focussed on that and completely missed the fact that there was a team plan in place. As RedRunner said a more public / transparent nomination process would have raised the issues a bit more privately and in advance of a thread being started. I'm sure lessons will be learned for future years.

I'm gutted to be honest. There was a hell of a lot of work put in behind the scenes before the thread even started so for a multitude of reasons for the work that went in already and the potential that is now wasted I'm gutted. We had a cracking plan for that thread with lot's of innovations to take it far beyond here's a plan go out and run it. Between the three of us we had all running bases ticked and perhaps I naievly thought that people would see one of the leaders being down and dirty as such with the beginners following the same plan and progressing together as being an asset to the thread.

It seems though that this was wrong. Yes there was people who got that concept and welcomed it but there was too many people who didn't and that's no disrespect to those who didn't. It's simply a difference of opinion. Ultimately the whole thread is a community resource and anything that divided the community the way that did is a massive issue. There's no point in being stubborn about it - truth is the best thing for the community in general is for a plan B to be put in place. That's difficult to face up to for anyone especially when it has played out publically for everyone to see but it has to be faced up to. I've spent the last couple of days considering closing my account here, closing my log off, not going near boards again etc but that would only be childish stomping off because I did not get my way. I'll get over it and more importantly the community here will get over it. I'm sure another thread will be started soon enough and hopefully all of this can be forgotten about then.

You have to realise there was nothing personal at all in what was said on that thread. Many of us are simply very passionate about the sport and believe this forum should be about athletics and running first and foremost, not personalities, spreadsheets and popularity.

The best thing to do now is to really get the head down and improve your running. Prove all of us wrong by running a sub 50 minute 10k in the next year, or something to that effect. I'd personally recommend leaving the marathon behind until you can nail a good 5k and 10k first. Master the art of running faster first, then go longer. I think it will benefit you in the long run (pun intended :)) and you'll probably get a lot more enjoyment out of it. Do plenty of core work to build strength and don't do too much too soon. Build up slowly.

Don't be silly about closing your account. Take the criticism and use it positively. Being honest there's far too much backslapping on this thread and everybody congratulates everything you do. I don't think that's very beneficial. The likes of TRR, Ecoli, RayCun etc are pretty knowledgeable in their area and would be only too willing to help if you seek their advice.

Best of luck with the new arrival btw. Lots of sleepless nights in store no doubt. :)

• Advertisement

Pisco Sour wrote: »

You have to realise there was nothing personal at all in what was said on that thread. Many of us are simply very passionate about the sport and believe this forum should be about athletics and running first and foremost, not personalities, spreadsheets and popularity.

The best thing to do now is to really get the head down and improve your running. Prove all of us wrong by running a sub 50 minute 10k in the next year, or something to that effect. I'd personally recommend leaving the marathon behind until you can nail a good 5k and 10k first. Master the art of running faster first, then go longer. I think it will benefit you in the long run (pun intended :)) and you'll probably get a lot more enjoyment out of it. Do plenty of core work to build strength and don't do too much too soon. Build up slowly.

Don't be silly about closing your account. Take the criticism and use it positively. Being honest there's far too much backslapping on this thread and everybody congratulates everything you do. I don't think that's very beneficial. The likes of TRR, Ecoli, RayCun etc are pretty knowledgeable in their area and would be only too willing to help if you seek their advice.

Best of luck with the new arrival btw. Lots of sleepless nights in store no doubt. :)

Ha I was thinking a sub 3 marathon myself ;)

That's an interesting point of view in relation to running faster first, I'm reading Hal Higdons book MARATHON and he quite definitely emphasises focus on building a base of endurance first and only then concentrate on speed. I suppose it depends on your individual goal, some of us will never reach the fast times recorded in some logs but can achieve slower endurance based event goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Hi PM . Sorry to hear about the novice thread. I thought the three of you would have been a great team. Wishing you all the best for Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Pisco Sour wrote: »

Sometimes i think pisco posts intent on stirring but I would fully agree with the above and had intended to post something similar about your own running.

If I were you I would just concentrate on getting out running regularly first. It's not going to be easy to get runs in with the new arrival but is manageable. Once you get a decent base built up maybe you should try some speed sessions like those meno gave us following the marathon. From memory you didn't get to have a go at any of them. I think everyone who was able to do them or some of them were brought quite a bit.

I just think that by committing yourself to another marathon program you are putting unnecessary pressure on yourself. You will have try and up your mileage in a shorter space of time and run the risk of injury again. You set youself a target of a sub forty five mile in your last log why not give that a go first?

Best of look this week anyway.

Hope all went well for you this week and that you are back to your log soon.

Image1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Good stuff :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Image1.jpg

That's great news PM

With the baby coming etc I hadn't chased up the results until yesterday. Thankfully things are settling down here and I'm looking at getting back into my running and weight loss. It's a big relief to know that any pain that's there is muscular as these can be worked on without fear of aggravating a serious injury.

I'm caught in 2 minds on where to go next - I do want another crack at DCM but want to give it a good go. I may be a little late in the year to start building a solid base to do this from. Will see how things go over next few weeks. I'm aiming to bring down last years 10k times (best was 1 hour 3 min if memory serves me) over the next 2-3 months and then will evaluate goals then. DLR 10k is on the Aug bank holiday so I'm aiming for that first and foremost and will see how I feel about DCM after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I'm caught in 2 minds on where to go next - I do want another crack at DCM but want to give it a good go. I may be a little late in the year to start building a solid base to do this from. Will see how things go over next few weeks. I'm aiming to bring down last years 10k times (best was 1 hour 3 min if memory serves me) over the next 2-3 months and then will evaluate goals then. DLR 10k is on the Aug bank holiday so I'm aiming for that first and foremost and will see how I feel about DCM after.

Great news on the test result PM, all steam ahead! And the 10k target to concentrate on the shorted distances before you step up is solid.

Advertisement