Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't we been here before ? Well let's do it better this time !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭greenb

Sorry to hear about the change of plan on the novice's thread. I for one, believe that your obvious organisational skills, enthusiasm and particular experience was just what such a thread needed. The "expert" side would have been looked after anyway regardless of who was leading the thread. Best of luck with your next comeback!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

With the baby coming etc I hadn't chased up the results until yesterday. Thankfully things are settling down here and I'm looking at getting back into my running and weight loss. It's a big relief to know that any pain that's there is muscular as these can be worked on without fear of aggravating a serious injury.

I'm caught in 2 minds on where to go next - I do want another crack at DCM but want to give it a good go. I may be a little late in the year to start building a solid base to do this from. Will see how things go over next few weeks. I'm aiming to bring down last years 10k times (best was 1 hour 3 min if memory serves me) over the next 2-3 months and then will evaluate goals then. DLR 10k is on the Aug bank holiday so I'm aiming for that first and foremost and will see how I feel about DCM after.

That sounds like a good plan. I have lost two stone since Jan and really notice a big difference when running esp with my pace. Concentrating on the weight loss and getting up to ten km again sounds like a sensible plan. Best of luck and hope the little one is settling in well at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

greenb wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the change of plan on the novice's thread. I for one, believe that your obvious organisational skills, enthusiasm and particular experience was just what such a thread needed. The "expert" side would have been looked after anyway regardless of who was leading the thread. Best of luck with your next comeback!

Me too :D

I see you're having a go at it this year. Best of luck with it. Obviously I won't be involved too much now with the main thread itself but do keep in touch as I think your goal times will end up matching mine in October (says he like he has already made his mind up to do it :pac:)

dechol wrote: »
    That sounds like a good plan. I have lost two stone since Jan and really notice a big difference when running esp with my pace. Concentrating on the weight loss and getting up to ten km again sounds like a sensible plan. Best of luck and hope the little one is settling in well at home.

I have to get the weight off for sure - last few weeks I have been eating the wrong foods at the wrong time (joys of new babies !) I also find that when I'm not running I tend to lose focus on the diet - which is the exact opposite of what it should be. Surely if you're not excercising you would expect to be more motivated to eat properly. :rolleyes:

2 stone is a massive loss - congrats. It has to help running - imagine trying to run with a few bags of spuds strapped to you. That's what carrying a few extra stone is like. I reckon if I got my diet sorted I would be able to match Blockics times :)

..... when he is acting as a pacer :pac::pac::pac:

(says he like he has already made his mind up to do it :pac:)

Admit it, you have! and more power to you.

• Advertisement

Here's the "little" man himself for those who didn't see the posts on the DCM 12 group thread. smile.png

1 Hour old ...

Image3.jpg
    2 weeks old ...

Image2.jpg

As much as I love running - I haven't missed it too much as he is a major distraction. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

He’s gorgeous PM, congrats again. He is so alert for two weeks!

I would agree with the others in that I don’t think it’s a good idea to aim for DCM this year. I think if you start into a high mileage program now, you really run the risk of getting injured or aggravating your current injury. I don’t think you would do yourself justice by running it this year.

Concentrate on building up the mileage slowly, get that 10k time down and this time next year, you will be in a much stronger position for making another attempt at the marathon. There’s nothing stopping you doing one of the spring marathons if you didn’t want to wait until DCM 2014.

I see you're having a go at it this year. Best of luck with it. Obviously I won't be involved too much now with the main thread itself but do keep in touch as I think your goal times will end up matching mine in October (says he like he has already made his mind up to do it :pac:)

I hope you will feel able to continue involvement with the novice thread. Don't lose sight of the fact that this is an internet forum after all! I believe a large majority would welcome your contributions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Here's the "little" man himself for those who didn't see the posts on the DCM 12 group thread. smile.png

1 Hour old ...

Image3.jpg
    2 weeks old ...

Image2.jpg

As much as I love running - I haven't missed it too much as he is a major distraction. :D

Congrats to you PM and the other half

ncmc wrote: »
    He’s gorgeous PM, congrats again. He is so alert for two weeks!

I would agree with the others in that I don’t think it’s a good idea to aim for DCM this year. I think if you start into a high mileage program now, you really run the risk of getting injured or aggravating your current injury. I don’t think you would do yourself justice by running it this year.

Concentrate on building up the mileage slowly, get that 10k time down and this time next year, you will be in a much stronger position for making another attempt at the marathon. There’s nothing stopping you doing one of the spring marathons if you didn’t want to wait until DCM 2014.

Cheers NCMC

Have to say I really wouldn't fancy a spring marathon. Reading up on the rest of the groups exploits over the past few months I am very sure that the best time to train for a marathon is the summer into an October marathon. The thoughts of 3-4 hour LSR's in freezing cold night time conditions are quite off putting. :)

I won't be stubborn this year - I promise !!!!! If I'm in decent shape I will go for it and if I'm not I won't. Quote me on that in August :pac: If I was following a HH plan (which I would be as I do still believe in them despite recent events :D:D) I'd need to be comfortably knocking out 10ks by end of June for HH plan starting and have a few weeks more of the HH plan before the mileage steps up. So the 10k race in August will be the judgment day. The training up for that would still be on a similar course for the DCM marathon. If I comfortably beat last years PB and am lighter etc I would consider it for this year. If I'm not showing an improvement on last years status at the same time then I will hold off until DCM14.

• Advertisement

greenb wrote: »
    I hope you will feel able to continue involvement with the novice thread. Don't lose sight of the fact that this is an internet forum after all! I believe a large majority would welcome your contributions.

It's a delicate one TBH - my contributions could end up being counter productive - the direction it will be taking is obviously not how we'd originally have seen it going. I don't feel I could give that thread the same input / enthusiasm that I would have done as it's lost it's appeal for me. And that's probably a good thing as if I did I would be stepping on CM's toes and of course opening the thread up to a repeat of recent events and criticism. :)

The plan itself that this years novices will follow I wouldn't be following (that's not a stubborn rejection of the plan just because it's not mine btw! it just wouldn't suit me personally at all) so realistically all I would do would potentially cause grief by posting advice / thoughts that may not be in keeping with the thread :D I think it's best if I restrict myself to lurking a bit and perhaps join in later in the process when things have settled down. It would be better for all involved. That said I'm happy to discuss my own experiences and thoughts within the community be that here or in PM's if anyone wants to. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I have to get the weight off for sure - last few weeks I have been eating the wrong foods at the wrong time (joys of new babies !) I also find that when I'm not running I tend to lose focus on the diet - which is the exact opposite of what it should be. Surely if you're not excercising you would expect to be more motivated to eat properly. :rolleyes:

2 stone is a massive loss - congrats. It has to help running - imagine trying to run with a few bags of spuds strapped to you. That's what carrying a few extra stone is like. I reckon if I got my diet sorted I would be able to match Blockics times :)

..... when he is acting as a pacer :pac::pac::pac:

I'm exactly the same PM!

This post is pretty painful to write tbh. Contemplated not posting it at all and to wait for a few weeks before coming back as such.

I've spent the last few weeks not running at all and eating the wrong foods completely. Dinner was generally whatever could be bought in or put together very quickly = Junk Food. Having a newborn baby in the house is the reason but frankly speaking it's no excuse either.

Got out on Saturday for the gentlest of walk / jogs accompanied by my now 7 year old daughter who has now developed a keen interest in running since she got a new pair of runners for her birthday. Inspired by her enthusiasm I decided enough was enough and it was time to get back out running. That said it was this evening before I actually got the time in the schedule to get out ! Covered 6.5k stop starting and in an appalling time. Came back stood on scales and was disgusted to see it at 16 Stone 2.6 lbs - heavier than I was when I first took up running last year.

These logs / forums tend to be full of people posting great runs and progress and this post and this log sticks out like a sore thumb now. :o I need to work very hard to turn this around. As I said at the start of this post I contemplated not posting at all until I had turned it around and came back well under 15 stone and capable of putting together a few km at a time. But these logs should be an accurate tracker and honest assessment not a back slapping excercise for positive posts alone and this is where I am now.

I'm looking forward to logging something more positive as I get back into the swing of things. I'm reasonably hopeful of some big weight loss in the next couple of weeks now that the binge has ended. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Don't fret, put a plan in place and execute it. This is but a minor blip on your running landscape. I'm pretty sure you can turn this one around. Having a newborn in the house is enough to turn anyones life and especially running routines upside down.

When everything's back on an even keel you'll have plenty of positive posts here. These things are sent to test us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

PM

Haven't we been here before? Well let's do it better this time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Alert: opinion-filled post! Disregard as you see fit. :)

Fair play for posting PM. Many have us have been there, facing a restart is often harder than starting the first round. I stopped for a few months last year, put weight back on, and felt terrible, unmotivated, and a complete failure. Rather than think positively, like "I've done this before, I'll do this again", I focused on the fact that I had lost all my fitness. When I restarted, all I could think of was where I was in stark contrast to where I had been. I sense a bit of this in you, if you don't mind me saying so. You need to change your attitude, so that running and walking are things you enjoy doing, rather than a schedule to be crammed in so that you can return to where you were. It doesn't work like that for me, anyway. You are where you are, and now you need to react to it, by setting new manageable goals free from what's gone before.

So you need to draw a line in the sand. Organisation is key here, you need three or four sacred moments where you're outside doing your sessions. If you're doing C25K again then that'll help you with your schedule. Get help from your wife. Get your habit back first, then keep it. Try be positive about it. Negative judgements can be good for a kick up the hole, but can be deeply demotivating longer term. Small steps, and small goals will turn this around quickly.

You can do it, and you can do it better. You even know how! Best of luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Weight loss is 80% diet. It doesn't matter how much you like or intend to run, if you do not correct the bad eating habits then you will not see much progress. It really is simple science: calories out greater than calories in equals weight loss. Theres no legitimate excuse for eating fast food etc. It doesn't take very long to prepare lots of healthy dishes, snd it is a myth that its more expensive. If you want a treat to reward good progress then go with Subway. People do not actually understand how much kilojoules are in things like McDonald's. 5800kj in a large quarter pounder meal. The stuff is as lethal to society as cigarettes are.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

PM you are completely normal. There may be a few saint like folk who never deviate from their strict diet/fitness regime, but for the rest of us bumps along the way are the norm. We all get de motivated, tired, fed up and off the wagon so to speak. You have a new baby and it's right you focus on that initially. One step at a time and you will be amazed how fast your fitness returns. Good luck

scriba wrote: »
    Alert: opinion-filled post! Disregard as you see fit. :)

Fair play for posting PM. Many have us have been there, facing a restart is often harder than starting the first round. I stopped for a few months last year, put weight back on, and felt terrible, unmotivated, and a complete failure. Rather than think positively, like "I've done this before, I'll do this again", I focused on the fact that I had lost all my fitness. When I restarted, all I could think of was where I was in stark contrast to where I had been. I sense a bit of this in you, if you don't mind me saying so. You need to change your attitude, so that running and walking are things you enjoy doing, rather than a schedule to be crammed in so that you can return to where you were. It doesn't work like that for me, anyway. You are where you are, and now you need to react to it, by setting new manageable goals free from what's gone before.

So you need to draw a line in the sand. Organisation is key here, you need three or four sacred moments where you're outside doing your sessions. If you're doing C25K again then that'll help you with your schedule. Get help from your wife. Get your habit back first, then keep it. Try be positive about it. Negative judgements can be good for a kick up the hole, but can be deeply demotivating longer term. Small steps, and small goals will turn this around quickly.

You can do it, and you can do it better. You even know how! Best of luck! :)

I think you're right - there certainly is a bit of what you picked up on there. I am frustrated with where I am fitness wise. I do enjoy running though and even through yesterdays slog whilst actually running there was that familiar buzz of being out there excercising which we all know and love. When I said slot it into the schedule it's a genuine trying to make time as opposed to a reluctant ah here you go there's an hour you could sacrifice your TV watching for etc.

I work quite long hours and by the time I get home am straight into helping out with the baby to give Mrs Messiah the break she deserves and needs. Running for me is my positive, hobby, entertainment whatever you would label it but these are the things that go out the window when you have a little person that needs feeding every couple of hours, nappy changing, washing etc alongside a 7 year old feeling a bit left out who needs extra attention, with a wife recovering from a C section who only this week is able to drive again. It's been a tough few weeks juggling all of it but now things are settling down a bit I'm going to have a bit of "me" time available which will allow me to get on the road more often.

Sounds like you have completely fallen out of love with running PM and that’s not at all surprising. DCM was a total slog for you and with injuries etc, it’s probably been 8 months since you’ve actually enjoyed a run. I think the first thing you need to sort out is the diet, I think it’s important to get the weight down before you think about tackling longer distances, that’s a lot of extra pressure on your joints at the moment. As Pisco Sour says, the majority of weight loss is diet related. Think of it this way, if you have a McDonald’s meal at 1200 cals, that would be 12 miles running at quite a brisk pace to burn it off. Would be easier not to eat the Maccy D’s right! Now I must admit, I am not the greatest when it comes to diet. I love all junk food and have a mega sweet tooth, but if I need to lose weight, I swear by My Fitness Pal. Sometimes we don’t realise just how many calories we are consuming versus what we are burning off, when you see it in black and white on a screen, suddenly those extra biccies don’t seem worth it. This is probably going to sound anal but I do up a menu at the start of the week with what I am going to have for dinner. This means when I come home from work/run tired, the decision is made and it stops me reaching for the takeaway menu. It also keeps the cost of shopping down as I only buy what I will need for the week so less impulse buying and less waste. I know you have a lot on your plate with the newborn, so make sure you have lots of quick meals you can make, an omelette or stir fry takes less time than it would to get a takeaway and far better for you.

As for the running, you need to get the love back. I think it’s great that you went out with your daughter, that sounds like a great activity for you to do together. Leave the watch at home for a few weeks and just concentrate on getting out 3 or 4 times a week, slowly building up the running and cutting back on the walking. Bring the buggy as well, (I’m sure Mrs PM will be glad of the break!) and suddenly it doesn’t seem like a chore, but a nice family activity. When you have built up a bit of a base, maybe then set yourself a target of a 5K or 10K race. Forget about the longer distances for the moment and just enjoy it, it’s supposed to be fun!

Try not to worry about what everyone else is doing. I know it’s hard looking at everyone else doing X miles at X speed, but really you just have to concentrate on your own running. I think we all compare ourselves against others thinking why are they faster, how can they do more miles than me etc but everyone has different targets, different responsibilities etc so you just have to forget about that and just do the best that you can do.

Best of luck PM, you have got through so much before, so I have no doubt that with time you will get back on track!

• Advertisement

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Weight loss is 80% diet. It doesn't matter how much you like or intend to run, if you do not correct the bad eating habits then you will not see much progress. It really is simple science: calories out greater than calories in equals weight loss. Theres no legitimate excuse for eating fast food etc. It doesn't take very long to prepare lots of healthy dishes, snd it is a myth that its more expensive. If you want a treat to reward good progress then go with Subway. People do not actually understand how much kilojoules are in things like McDonald's. 5800kj in a large quarter pounder meal. The stuff is as lethal to society as cigarettes are.

Fast Food doesn't even need to be a take away. Dinners of Waffles or chips instead of a baked potato can do a lot of damage too. It's not that I've eaten take away every night for 6 weeks - it's just that even at home the easiest thing to do can be throw a pizza into the oven leave it for 20 minutes and come back to it. No prep etc needed. Could I and should I have tried harder to stick to a balanced diet - absolutely. Family circumstances are a reason but not an excuse I can look myself in the mirror and accept !

I find it interesting you quoted kj instead of calories. Must read up on the differences between them.

ncmc wrote: »
    Sounds like you have completely fallen out of love with running PM and that’s not at all surprising. DCM was a total slog for you and with injuries etc, it’s probably been 8 months since you’ve actually enjoyed a run. I think the first thing you need to sort out is the diet, I think it’s important to get the weight down before you think about tackling longer distances, that’s a lot of extra pressure on your joints at the moment. As Pisco Sour says, the majority of weight loss is diet related. Think of it this way, if you have a McDonald’s meal at 1200 cals, that would be 12 miles running at quite a brisk pace to burn it off. Would be easier not to eat the Maccy D’s right! Now I must admit, I am not the greatest when it comes to diet. I love all junk food and have a mega sweet tooth, but if I need to lose weight, I swear by My Fitness Pal. Sometimes we don’t realise just how many calories we are consuming versus what we are burning off, when you see it in black and white on a screen, suddenly those extra biccies don’t seem worth it. This is probably going to sound anal but I do up a menu at the start of the week with what I am going to have for dinner. This means when I come home from work/run tired, the decision is made and it stops me reaching for the takeaway menu. It also keeps the cost of shopping down as I only buy what I will need for the week so less impulse buying and less waste. I know you have a lot on your plate with the newborn, so make sure you have lots of quick meals you can make, an omelette or stir fry takes less time than it would to get a takeaway and far better for you.

As for the running, you need to get the love back. I think it’s great that you went out with your daughter, that sounds like a great activity for you to do together. Leave the watch at home for a few weeks and just concentrate on getting out 3 or 4 times a week, slowly building up the running and cutting back on the walking. Bring the buggy as well, (I’m sure Mrs PM will be glad of the break!) and suddenly it doesn’t seem like a chore, but a nice family activity. When you have built up a bit of a base, maybe then set yourself a target of a 5K or 10K race. Forget about the longer distances for the moment and just enjoy it, it’s supposed to be fun!

Try not to worry about what everyone else is doing. I know it’s hard looking at everyone else doing X miles at X speed, but really you just have to concentrate on your own running. I think we all compare ourselves against others thinking why are they faster, how can they do more miles than me etc but everyone has different targets, different responsibilities etc so you just have to forget about that and just do the best that you can do.

Best of luck PM, you have got through so much before, so I have no doubt that with time you will get back on track!

Thanks ncmc :)

Was actually thinking about resurrecting the myfitness pal app. I found it worked wonders before (calories the App expected you to work off though were crazy low IMO)

Targets for the moment are the DLR 10k in August, and the race series 10K later in the year. PB for 10k is 1hr 4 minutes so I'd be delighted at this point to break the 1 hour and lose weight along the way. The more weight I lose the faster I will be.

Apparently you have to wait a while before bringing a newborn out jogging in the buggy but it's definitely on the agenda !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

+1 to what ncmc says. Weight loss is all about diet.
    When I logged onto myfitness pal it was a real help.The first week I used it I was sick and barely ran but I still lost 3lbs that week.

Sorry to say but putting on that much weight is entirely your own fault, no pint making excuses (I have been there before and done that). If you are going to ever be serious about your running you simply can't be weighing 16 stone so sort it out!!

Thanks ncmc :)

Was actually thinking about resurrecting the myfitness pal app. I found it worked wonders before (calories the App expected you to work off though were crazy low IMO)

Targets for the moment are the DLR 10k in August, and the race series 10K later in the year. PB for 10k is 1hr 4 minutes so I'd be delighted at this point to break the 1 hour and lose weight along the way. The more weight I lose the faster I will be.

Apparently you have to wait a while before bringing a newborn out jogging in the buggy but it's definitely on the agenda !

I didn't know that about jogging with a baby! Lucky I don't have kids, i'd probably have the head rocked off the poor thing bringing it out jogging!

My husband uses MFP, I think his target was 1900 cals per day as a base and then any exercise he did added cals to that. I think that's quite doable if you plan your meals out. Lots of salad and veg to pad your meals out and plenty of eggs and lean chicken to fill you up with quite low calories. I think it's easier this time of year to eat healthy. Salads seem like such a chore in winter, but they are lovely once the weather improves.

You can do it! You just need to get in a positive frame of mind. No crazy diets, aim to lose 2lbs per week and before you know it you will feel so much healthier and as you say, you'll speed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Fair play for posting PM, hope it gives you the drive to get things going again. I know only too well what a difference a new baby makes. It feels at the time that you might never be able to run regularly again.

You might have to think outside the box when it comes to scheduling your running like early mornings, lunchtimes, or later than normal in the evening. Don't be hard on yourself if you don't get every run planned done though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

I don't read that PM has fallen out of love for running at all. He just hasn't had the time. And I think some of the criticism is harsh unless you're speaking from experience of a brand new baby. It's only been 6 weeks. Granted any criticism about diet prior to the baby being born might be justified but clearly the man is busy with being a father in the last couple of months.

I had twins four years ago. I wasn't running at the time, but I was trying to play 5-a-side football twice a week. I gave up trying to even get out even once a week because life was so busy. After 6 months I was unable to go back after prolapsed discs got worse. Whatever spare time I did have went in to giving my wife a break, simply because my job of going to work was a far easier task than hers.

In that time, I ate absolute crap food and went up to 13.5 stone. But it wasn't just about my poor diet. It was about my poor eating times, and my poor sleep patterns. Of course weight loss is about calories in and calories out but if you're not getting good sleep/rest and you're not finding the time to cook healthier meals, then all of that will suffer.

You should be able to get more done now the wife is improving. I don't think people appreciate how serious an operation a section is. Just because we hear about them so often people don't appreciate the severity. This is a major operation which is very difficult to get over not least because there is no time for rest with a new baby. What ever about your poor eating in the past, give yourself a break for the last couple of months. Focus on your family, and getting your wife back to full health. Then worry about how to progress with weight loss.

I will agree with some of what's said above. Once you get back in to the swing, your first priority must be weight loss and walking. I would leave the running alone for a few months. The heavier you are, the more likely you are to do damage to your joints. Get back to a healthy weight and then re-introduce running.

Best of luck with all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

menoscemo wrote: »

No pint making excuses

Paging Dr. Freud... :D

4.2 km done tonight. Pace / actual running percentage a bit of an improvement but not enough to be posting times here :p It's just about some regular time on feet at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Pm, you mightn't like to hear this but maybe marathon running just isn't for you.

Having followed your posts over the past year, I feel you would be better off concentrating on shorter distances for a year or two and build up a solid base whilst dropping a bit of weight.

It would help you enjoy running again and would more than likely mean that if you decide on a marathon in the future you would be in a much better position to commit both physically and mentally.

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    Pm, you mightn't like to hear this but maybe marathon running just isn't for you.

Having followed your posts over the past year, I feel you would be better off concentrating on shorter distances for a year or two and build up a solid base whilst dropping a bit of weight.

It would help you enjoy running again and would more than likely mean that if you decide on a marathon in the future you would be in a much better position to commit both physically and mentally.

Marathon is off the agenda for this year. 10k race in August is the first target now and the race series 10k later in year is main one for the year. My PB is 1 hr 4 min (am a plodder even when capable of longer distances) :) so it's not a big stretch to aim to get back fit and beat that time.

Advertisement