Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't we been here before ? Well let's do it better this time !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

I wholeheartedly agree with advice given re diet. I am nearly at two and half stone weight loss since Christmas and this is what I did. No junk in house at all. No biscuits treats etc. Kids are now allowed one treat a week which we buy in local shop(not in multi pack). Kids adapted straight away to new routine. We still have a pizza night but we make pizza ourselves and go easy on cheese etc. I think the key is to do it as a family and be consistent with it. Plan out your meals and have stuff in the house that's easy to throw together for a meal. Stir fry,scrambled eggs etc it is as easy to boil a few potatoes and stick a bit of fish in the oven as it is to order a takeaway or cook a frozen pizza. I also agree diet is the key to losing weight not exercise. I lost virtually nothing training for marathon. Since making food changes I have lost about two pound a week and doing low mileage each week. Haven't run in four weeks due to operation and still losing two a week in that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    That old log of mine was a real shocker. I look back on it and cringe. I really hope that in 3-4 years time you will look back on some of the stuff you have written today with the same sentiments.

With regards my marathon, I still look back on the day as a great personal and life changing experience. I have great memories of it all. Very much like yourself with your marathon. But I would never consider it for a second any sort of athletic achievement. I did not run anywhere close to my potential. Neither have you.

There's 2 things you can do: 1) Continue thinking you are putting everything into this and go on doing what you have been or 2) Show commitment to losing 3-4 stone and get yourself into proper running shape which will enable a much higher degree of improvement. This is not separate to running, it is very much apart of it, and not showing commitment to eating healthy/ losing the weight is IMO not showing full commitment to your running. You will always be selling yourself short in terms of running until you properly change the lifestyle habits.

Just trying to help, take it or leave it. I echo DrQuirky's comments in that it doesn't really make any difference to my life what you do.

I'm not sure if you are actually reading what I am posting tbh. :confused:

I don't think for a second that I have been putting everything into my running recently. Injuries and personal circumstances have heavily influenced that. I've clearly stated that I haven't ran properly since October and diet wise have had an absolute shocker for the past couple of months. Last year diet was good, weight was shed, plans were followed etc. That's what I am defending.

Your own log there has an interesting post ..
    Pisco Sour wrote: »
    True. It was more the arrogance and condescending nature of the posts that I had a problem with. Many others offered advice in a less patrinising way which I was only glad to receive and it helped a lot. Anyway water under the bridge now.

Don't know how I'm going to make it to the airport today. I can barely walk biggrin.pngeek.png

Can you not see that coming on here and questioning my commitment and work ethic leads to a similar situation ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Moving onto next year - If I come back but sit on my laurels and knock out another 5+ hours race whilst not losing any more weight then I will happily say I am deserving of your comment. I'd be hoping to continue my progress and get myself into the realms of truly pushing myself to aim for a better time and a further improved fitness level.

If we are going to quote posts from the past then check out the above from Kurt's log just before the DCM!
    I'm not sure if you are actually reading what I am posting tbh. :confused:

I don't think for a second that I have been putting everything into my running recently. Injuries and personal circumstances have heavily influenced that. I've clearly stated that I haven't ran properly since October and diet wise have had an absolute shocker for the past couple of months. Last year diet was good, weight was shed, plans were followed etc. That's what I am defending.

Your own log there has an interesting post ..

Can you not see that coming on here and questioning my commitment and work ethic leads to a similar situation ?

I am referring to this log PM. It's been going for quite awhile now and really nothing has happened. Yet there is so much backslapping on here, calling you a hero and all that. What they should have been doing is give you a mild kick up the backside to get your eye on the prize, but nobody was really doing it. Work ethic may have been the wrong choice of phrase but I stand by what I have said about lack of commitment to what you are wanting to achieve (i.e. what was laid out in black and white by yourself in post 1 of this log). What is frustrating about this log is the people around you who just keep telling you that you are great and I don't believe it has done you any good.

I don't believe I am being patronising but apologise if I am. I don't think there is much more to say on the matter so I will quietly take my leave and wish you the best of luck.
    Hello and welcome to a new log for a new year following the same path of an old journey.

Background and quick recap:

I started running early in 2012. I was overweight (still am to be honest but we will get to that shortly :)) I originally started off with a time goal for a 5 mile race but as time progressed turned my sights to last years Dublin marathon. An injury sustained about 6 weeks out knackered my training at a critical point but I went ahead and ran anyway (ran / walked to be more accurate) covering the distance in 5 hours 36 minutes. A much longer version of this story can be read in my old log here.

Current status:

I've been laid up since the DCM. The injury in question has kept me off my feet completely. I got out for one small run a few days ago and that's it. I've put on quite a bit of weight in the last 2 months. Bit of a shocker actually as I've just weighed in at 15 Stone 13lbs not much lighter than when I started running last year. :o The run itself was hard - managed less than 2km running over a 4km distance. I feel like a beginner again but I do know that there is a base underneath which a few weeks work will uncover.

The Goals:

1. Lose a lot of weight. Aiming to be at 13 stone for DCM 13
    2. Run DCM 13 in a much improved time. I'm not going to peg myself to a time goal just yet but it will be around 4:00 to 4:30. One thing I did learn from last year was not to set goals too early !
    3. Beat my 5 mile, 10k, 10 mile and half marathon PB's during the build up.
    The Plan:

1. I'm going back to the start and restarting the couch to 5k program that I followed last January. I will however be running this a good bit faster than last time with the aim being to set a base that is comfortable running faster. I may even skip a few runs / weeks if I find that the fitness level is better than expected. The end goal of this section will be to run a 5k in 25 minutes and my pacing for the weeks up to this will be based on a 5min per kilometre pace.
    2. From there I'm going onto Hal Higdons intermediate spring training program.
    3. Finally I will be following a mixture of the Hal Higdon Novice 1 and 2 programs (If all goes according to plan I will be mentoring this years novice thread so I want to stay close to what the group will be running)
    4. Weight loss goal of 1lb per week. This is totally doable but will involve a big diet change and cutting down if not altogether of beer etc. My current weight includes the christmas excesses so I do expect to get a bit of a headstart / bank some lbs in the coming weeks.
    This log will serve as tracker for the year. On a personal level I know it will motivate me to stick to my plan. I will post my weight on a weekly basis which again will encourage me to stick to the diet or else face instant shame :D I'm also hoping it will serve as inspiration for others in the same boat, be that of total beginners, those carrying a few extra lbs or lapsed beginners like myself.

Thanks for reading and as with the last log please feel free to post any advice or thoughts you may have for me along the way. :)

It's a question of timing and of context PS. That post was made assuming I would have been up and running properly in January and without the reality of the baby arriving. Now I am able to run again the clock can start ticking on judgements. As I haven't been running its a bit early to judge the quality and results / progress of my training for this year. It is looking like a marathon won't be on this year so I suppose in some ways I won't beat last years time but it won't be due to resting on laurels. It will be because I am doing it right / better this time round and since doing too much too soon nobbled me last year I am not making the same mistake this year.

I do see to a point where you are coming from - its just i think you are giving me a mid term assessment before the term has really started for me which is frustrating.

Thanks though for being willing to provide the virtual kick in the arse - and please do come back in a few months booted up and ready to dish it if is appropriate. You won't get any argument from me then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

PM I think your only problem is you need to be a little firmer in letting people know where your boundaries lie. Its ok to tell people to f u c k off and mind their own business sometimes, you dont have to be so polite.
    People will make your business their business if you let them and that can be counter productive, you'll waste time and energy explaining your every move and as a wise man once said, you cant please everybody.
    p.s. feel free to tell me to f u c k off

• Advertisement

tunguska wrote: »
    PM I think your only problem is you need to be a little firmer in letting people know where your boundaries lie. Its ok to tell people to f u c k off and mind their own business sometimes, you dont have to be so polite.
    People will make your business their business if you let them and that can be counter productive, you'll waste time and energy explaining your every move and as a wise man once said, you cant please everybody.
    p.s. feel free to tell me to f u c k off

One of the best pieces of advice to have graced either of my logs to be fair - no chance of a f u c k off for that. :D

Cheers.

Got out out for 5k this morning at what I would affectionately call career_move o' clock. :)

Was meant to get out yesterday evening but time ran out. Was awake this morning at 4.30 after feeding the little one and realised that with work schedule and other stuff that needs doing today the chances of getting a run in this evening would be slim. Figured I was going to be tired either way so may as well get a run (read run as run/walk for a while) in before everyone woke up again. Took an hour to convince myself though :D

Averaged out at just over 7min per kilometre which although not setting the world alight was a definite improvement. Added novelty of passing group of people staggering home from night out who looked appalled I was out that early running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Got out out for 5k this morning at what I would affectionately call career_move o' clock. :)

Was meant to get out yesterday evening but time ran out. Was awake this morning at 4.30 after feeding the little one and realised that with work schedule and other stuff that needs doing today the chances of getting a run in this evening would be slim. Figured I was going to be tired either way so may as well get a run (read run as run/walk for a while) in before everyone woke up again. Took an hour to convince myself though :D

Jesus, you don't half prove a point! Ecoli should invite somebody do question your commitment every week! 22 more crazy Sunday morning efforts like that and you'll be flying

So after an initial consultation with ecoli the plan for the next few weeks will be a mixture of slow running (which I'm very very good at :P) and cycling. The concept here as I think has been alluded to earlier in the log is that it's not a great idea to be pounding pavements 5 days a week whilst carrying a pile of weight. Injuries are bound to occur doing this. The plan is to tackle the diet, lose weight through the mixed excercise and introduce more time on feet as weight comes off.

On that subject: As I've traditionally weighed in on Mondays I elected to do my weekly weigh in this morning. Last weeks shocker took place on Tuesday so todays weight was for 6 days. I was delighted to hit the scales 4lbs down on last weeks peak.

Current Weight:
    15 Stone 12.6 lbs

Change:
    -4.0 lbs

Feels very good to be focused again. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Well done PM no bother to you

• Advertisement

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Well done PM no bother to you

Thanks mate.

To be fair though it's easy to lose weight like that first week. Body gets itself a good culture shock ! It's also only doable due to previous bad eating so as happy as I am with the weight loss I'm not going to walk around too proud about it either. :)

Id be proud to loose that amount of weight you don't give you're self credit

Id be proud to loose that amount of weight you don't give you're self credit

I do see the positive in it - I just also see the negative of weighing in over 16 stone in the first place as balancing it out a bit. :pac: Don't get me wrong 4 lbs is a damn good (re)start and there was a big smile on my face when I weighed in this morning. Large scale pride will come the closer I get to 13 stone. Around that time I will be virtually legging it around here demanding high 5's so be ready for that :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Yeah pm is right. During dieting the first week is typically the easiest to lose weight because a large amount is water retention. On the right track though pm. Keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Just out of interest PM how tall are you. It's just that 15 st something doesnt exactly sound obese to me but it depends on your frame too. I'm about 15st 4 myself and trying to lose a few pounds but I'm a little under 6'5" so don't look overweight but I do need to lose maybe 6 or 7 pounds more.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Just out of interest PM how tall are you. It's just that 15 st something doesnt exactly sound obese to me but it depends on your frame too. I'm about 15st 4 myself and trying to lose a few pounds but I'm a little under 6'5" so don't look overweight but I do need to lose maybe 6 or 7 pounds more.

I am 6'1" myself and broad framed so I can carry a bit of weight without looking too overweight but there's no hiding the lbs when it comes to running. It would be very interesting to see how an average 13 stone runner would cope with a 3 stone backpack. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

It would be very interesting to see how an average 13 stone runner would cope with a 3 stone backpack. :)

Or an 11 stone runner with a 5 stone backpack! ;)

That too :D

I'd LOVE to see a boards race handicapped / levelled out like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭greenb

I was delighted to hit the scales 4lbs down on last weeks peak.

Imagine what you could have lost if only you showed some commitment and work ethic!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

That too :D

I'd LOVE to see a boards race handicapped / levelled out like that.

Don't forget that we have to run on matchsticks!!

• Advertisement

greenb wrote: »
    Imagine what you could have lost if only you showed some commitment and work ethic!!:eek:

nocountry_leejones_460.jpg

:D

First cycle tonight as part of the new training regime. 40 min total approx 9k covered.

Few thoughts on cycling ...

1) It's a pain in the ass - literally :D - much prefer running but I'm sure attitudes to cycling will change the more I do it.
    2) Whole different set of muscles needed. Thighs in particular were aching. The cardio workout could have been stronger if the legs would have played ball. But again a bit of time on the bike will sort that out.
    3) Hills - Worse than running ! :eek: And then they tempt you to free wheel down the far side which you can never do running !

Plan tonight was for a 30 min run with strict instructions not to go any faster than 7 min kilometre pace. Going out so slow meant I was quite comfortable and managed 18 min before stopping (seasonal PB :D) not due to out of breath but due to tightening leg muscles. 2 min walking / stretching later and I knocked out the last 10 min + tagged on an extra couple of min to make up for the time stopped.

Interestingly this was about what my average pace had been last couple of outings but those outings had faster runs with frequent walks. So although I felt like a frustrated tortoise this was made up for with the progress made with the non stop running time. Happy days. :)

Plan tonight was for a 30 min run with strict instructions not to go any faster than 7 min kilometre pace. Going out so slow meant I was quite comfortable and managed 18 min before stopping (seasonal PB :D) not due to out of breath but due to tightening leg muscles. 2 min walking / stretching later and I knocked out the last 10 min + tagged on an extra couple of min to make up for the time stopped.

Interestingly this was about what my average pace had been last couple of outings but those outings had faster runs with frequent walks. So although I felt like a frustrated tortoise this was made up for with the progress made with the non stop running time. Happy days. :)

Slow and steady wins the race:D

Slow and steady wins the race:D

Slow and steady has a far more comfortable one anyway :)

Thursday - Plan was for a 40 min cycle. Reality was a DNS (Did Not Start) :D

Friday - Planned rest day. Reality was catch up on missed session on Thursday. :) 40 min on the bike in windy conditions and a decent dose of rain thrown in for good measure. Kept saying to myself -you're here by choice ! and actually enjoyed the battle with the elements. Sore muscles in parts but felt stronger - covered the same route as last time but arrived back in 38 min. Another cycle scheduled tonight with a run tomorrow. Looking forward to the run. It feels like a treat at this stage to be allowed run !

Had a sneaky weigh in this morning- wasn't that impressed with the result (probably expecting too much now :p!) but will see how things land on Monday for the official result.

Got home last night to a screaming baby and a stressed wife. As supportive as she is the concept of me buggering off for even an hour to get the cycle in wasn't going down well. Elected to take his royal highness out in the buggy for a brisk walk. Walked for 90 minutes rather than the 40 minute cycle planned which should have used the same if not more calories up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Good move PM, you easily could have used it as an excuse to take a day off... Walkings great for weight loss too. Hope the fresh air settled the baby! Enjoy your run today

Very happy tonight. 30 min run done. And it actually was 30 min running. \o/

Haven't done that since DCM last year. Of course it was a bit slower (as per the plan laid out) but it felt great to actually do a proper run. :) Last few min were a bit of a struggle tbh but once I'd hit 22 min there was no way I was stopping. In fact I involuntarily ran a bit faster for the last few min (was concentrating on putting one foot in front of another and not on the pace)

Hoping to crown off the progress with another couple of lb down in the morning.

• Advertisement

Very happy tonight. 30 min run done. And it actually was 30 min running. \o/

Haven't done that since DCM last year. Of course it was a bit slower (as per the plan laid out) but it felt great to actually do a proper run. :) Last few min were a bit of a struggle tbh but once I'd hit 22 min there was no way I was stopping. In fact I involuntarily ran a bit faster for the last few min (was concentrating on putting one foot in front of another and not on the pace)

Hoping to crown off the progress with another couple of lb down in the morning.

Keep up the good work PM

Advertisement