Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't we been here before ? Well let's do it better this time !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Weight Last Week
    15 Stone 12.6 lbs

Weight This Week
    15 Stone 9.6 lbs

Weight Loss This Week
    3.0 lbs

Delighted with that as it makes half a stone in 2 weeks.

1 hour cycle done.

Today as those who know my patterns from before would be my day for the longer run / exercise hence the longer time on the bike (still a bit early in the weight loss to run days back to back let alone long)

15k covered including some steep hills. I've decided I was talking bollox earlier in the thread when I mused about the lack of benefit of hills. The effort taken to get up and over them HAS to make up for the hanging across the handle bars on the way back down. :)

This weeks plan has 6 days excercise - 3 (2 x 30 min and 1 x 40 min) running, 3 cycling (2 x 50 min and 1 x 70 min) and then one rest day.

Got out this morning for the first 30 min of the new week. Again under strict instructions to go no faster than 7 min/k - Stayed on pace the whole way through and was very comfortable other than an uphill stretch towards the end which I would still describe as comfortable. Looking forward to seeing if I can step that up to 40 min non stop later in the week.

ecolis plan for me is to take a bit of time buiding up a strong aerobic base and losing weight before stepping it up a bit hence the slower runs for the moment. The DLR 10k in early August therefore won't be a goal race as it will be a bit early on the progress trail but I might still have a bash at it.

If anyone has any recommendations for a 10k later in the year that I can aim for as a goal race I'd be very interested to hear them. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Good progress :)

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

BHAA 10k in Firhouse on the 7th September? Considering doing this one myself.

• Advertisement

Steroo wrote: »
    Good progress :)

Seems to be coming together now. Can actually feel the progress within.
    BHAA 10k in Firhouse on the 7th September? Considering doing this one myself.

Might be a goer alright - seems to be slim pickings later in the year for 10ks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

The Lakes 10k in Blesington http://www.thelakes10k.ie/ rivals Dunshaughlin as probably the best 10k in Leinster.Highly recommend it.
    I Don't like the BHAA one, it is a horribly tough course.

menoscemo wrote: »
    The Lakes 10k in Blesington http://www.thelakes10k.ie/ rivals Dunshaughlin as probably the best 10k in Leinster.Highly recommend it.
    I Don't like the BHAA one, it is a horribly tough course.
    Having looked at the website I'll be doing the above race over the bhaa one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Having looked at the website I'll be doing the above race over the bhaa one

They say self praise is no praise, but Check out the Boards threads for the last 3 races:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66471260
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73076312
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056581549

Pay Particular attention to the results of the polls ;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    They say self praise is no praise, but Check out the Boards threads for the last 3 races:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66471260
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73076312
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056581549

Pay Particular attention to the results of the polls ;)

They had me at ice cream!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

I did this one last year, the best race I've done by far! The ice cream was amazing, closely followed by the muffins...

I think I have myself a goal race :D

50 min cycle tonight.

First time since getting back on the horse as such that I simply didn't enjoy the excercise. It was cold windy and raining and I felt like I had sod all energy right from the start. Nearly turned back after 1k but told myself I would be glad when I got home after completing the task. Turns out I was lying as I was equally unimpressed after finishing :D

11k done in total. A bit slower than last outing on the bike but no great surprise there.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

At least you are doing something. More than most people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

11k done in total. A bit slower than last outing on the bike but no great surprise there.

We need to get you out of this mentality you should not be comparing each session it will serve no purpose other than to demoralize.

Every day you go out training is different, The weather is different, the wind is different, the route is different, the amount of muck/dirt in your shoes, the amount of fluids you have had, the types of food you have had , the amount of sleep you have had, the stress or lack of you have been under, the amount of fatigue in your legs. With so many variables its not great shock that some days are going to be slower than others.

This is why we have training zones - a wide effort range to make allowances for all these variables. You train to race not the other way around. building your aerobic fitness you should not try to be pushing it the most important thing is time on your feet as such slow things down and relax and don't compare training times but rather effort levels. Exercising at this pace you should be able to hold a conversation without losing breath

ecoli wrote: »
    We need to get you out of this mentality you should not be comparing each session it will serve no purpose other than to demoralize.

Every day you go out training is different, The weather is different, the wind is different, the route is different, the amount of muck/dirt in your shoes, the amount of fluids you have had, the types of food you have had , the amount of sleep you have had, the stress or lack of you have been under, the amount of fatigue in your legs. With so many variables its not great shock that some days are going to be slower than others.

This is why we have training zones - a wide effort range to make allowances for all these variables. You train to race not the other way around. building your aerobic fitness you should not try to be pushing it the most important thing is time on your feet as such slow things down and relax and don't compare training times but rather effort levels. Exercising at this pace you should be able to hold a conversation without losing breath

Makes perfect sense. :o

Consider myself ...

jackass-3d-2_480x270.jpg

40 min run tonight. The step up from 30 min reasonably comfortably made. :)

Got a stitch 10 min in but ploughed through it. Legs felt a little bit heavy right towards the end but all in all it was a comfortable run. Very happy with the progress.

2 sessions on bike today. Decided to cycle to work and took a bit of a detour on way home to increase the time in the saddle. Total 105 minutes. (Not looking at never mind mentioning pace ;) )

30 min run done today - little bit faster than I was meant to do it. Averaged out at 6:30km pace rather than the goal 7:00 :o Hailstones have a funny habit of encouraging you to run faster even when trying to keep it slowed a bit (all be it pointless when you're running to a clock time rather than a distance) Happy though to see 30 min at little faster pace without it feeling much different effort wise.

Today was also weekly weigh in day ....

Weight Last Week
    15 Stone 9.6 lbs

Weight This Week
    15 Stone 7.4 lbs

Weight Loss This Week
    2.2 lbs

Very pleased with that. At this point I'd consider this a proper weight loss figure - as in the figures for the first couple of weeks are always bumped up by the initial culture shock to the body of less bad stuff going in. I'd be happy to see anything from 1-2lbs per week from now on.

I've tracked all excercise this week via GPS watch and endomondo to get a rough idea of calories used up. Approx 2300 calories were used so about 2/3rds of a lb was lost from excercise and 1.5lbs from diet / eating smarter. Breaks down as 30% excercise 70% diet. This to be fair echoes pisco sours points from earlier in the log. (Not that I questioned those particular posts was just interested to see how things stacked up :))

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Good work with the weight loss PM.
    2lbs a week is a good target and once you hit a bit of consistency with that the weight will fall off. My starting point was 279lbs (19st 13) I'm now at 13st 6, so I have a fair idea how hard it can be. One thing that took me a while to grasp is that you cant out train a bad diet, you seem to have that under control so good luck with your weight loss journey.

• Advertisement

wowzer wrote: »
    Good work with the weight loss PM.
    2lbs a week is a good target and once you hit a bit of consistency with that the weight will fall off. My starting point was 279lbs (19st 13) I'm now at 13st 6, so I have a fair idea how hard it can be. One thing that took me a while to grasp is that you cant out train a bad diet, you seem to have that under control so good luck with your weight loss journey.

That's brilliant weight loss Wowzer - I didn't realise you had come from that kind of weight yourself. That's quite inspiring. Did you document that here at all ?

Edit: Just found your log there. :)

That's brilliant weight loss Wowzer - I didn't realise you had come from that kind of weight yourself. That's quite inspiring. Did you document that here at all ?

Edit: Just found your log there. :)

Cheers PM. there's no weight loss documented in the log as I lost the majority of the weight before I started to log my training.

wowzer wrote: »
    Cheers PM. there's no weight loss documented in the log as I lost the majority of the weight before I started to log my training.

Ha yeah realised that there. Had a good read anyway. A belated congrats on finally breaking 20 min for your 5k :D It's another log to be inspired by. Boards is great for motivation. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Ha yeah realised that there. Had a good read anyway. A belated congrats on finally breaking 20 min for your 5k :D It's another log to be inspired by. Boards is great for motivation. :)

You're going good PM, you're also a lucky man getting help from Ecoli like that.

Big Logger wrote: »
    You're going good PM, you're also a lucky man getting help from Ecoli like that.

Big time.

In hindsight the whole mentored novices blow up may prove to be the one of the best things to have happened as training under his wing came from it. I'm very grateful for it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Congrats on the weight loss and the exercise, sounds like you're flying. Your posts come across with so much more positivity than a few weeks ago, so that's a great improvement to see.

Yeah I find boards great for keeping me on track as I feel guilty if I haven't logged for a few days..
    There is still a fat man trapped inside of me and he is always trying to get out, having a training log keeps me honest and helps me keep that fat man locked away. Haha

I haven't updated for a few days because there wasn't anything that interesting to report. Who wants to read single posts saying tonight I ran 30 min etc so I figured I'd hang off and do an update when there was a few days done and / or something notable. The weeks plan (which for me starts on a Tuesday) is for 3 runs (2 x 35 min and 1 x 50 min) and 3 cycles (2 x 60 min and 1 x 80 min) Stepping up a bit from last week.

Tuesday
    35 min run. A bit of a mistake here. This was meant to be my rest day for the week but I knew I needed Thursday off so brought everything forward a day. What this meant though was I ran 2 days back to back. I hadn't given it that much consideration or thought but the last 10 min were sore. The joints and muscles gave out to me and I realised then the benefits of alternating the run and cycle days.

Wednesday
    60 min cycle. Nothing too major to report here.

Thursday
    Rest Day

Today / Friday
    Set out to do a 35 min run. The weather was good and the legs felt fresh after the rest day. It was a lovely evening to be out there. As I approached the turnaround point approx 15 min in (My runs at the moment are out for half the time and then turn around and head back for the second half) I started thinking about the forthcoming step up to a 50 min run. Would it be a struggle ? "Hardly at all" I said to myself "sure you're feeling fresh enough now - it's only another 10 min up the road - ok well why not knock it out now. Alright let's be ****ing having it !!!" So with the first sign of madness ticked off - talking to myself - off I went up the road for the extra 10 minutes and finished off the full 50 minutes.

Really happy with that progress - starting to feel like a proper runner again. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Good stuff PM :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Are you enjoying the cycling?

Try keep the cadence up by spinning a low gear where possible. Much better for your cardio and for building fitness. Most people wrongly think grinding a bigger gear is better for you.

Road bike or hybrid?

Advertisement