Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap finish for cheap shotgun

Options
  • 31-12-2012 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just wondering, as the title says, I have a cheap and cheerful pump action that is in pretty rough shape as it's used around salt water a lot. It's barely worth the price of a duracoat job and bluing just won't last. Any ideas for a quick fix?
    Cheers
    LR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Last time I had your problem I sprayed an old clunker with some high-temperature Bar-B-Q black and stoved it on using a quick blast with a blowlamp. So far it has lasted almost twenty years. Nicks and scratches? Another quick blast and you're good to go again.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

tac foley wrote: »
    Last time I had your problem I sprayed an old clunker with some high-temperature Bar-B-Q black and stoved it on using a quick blast with a blowlamp. So far it has lasted almost twenty years. Nicks and scratches? Another quick blast and you're good to go again.

tac

Sounds good to me.

A quick rub down with wire wool or sand-paper and some wood oil or varnish will tidy up the timber as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

clivej wrote: »
    Sounds good to me.

A quick rub down with wire wool or sand-paper and some wood oil or varnish will tidy up the timber as well.

Ah, right. That's where I went wrong then - I painted EVERYthing.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Longranger wrote: »
    Hi all, just wondering, as the title says, I have a cheap and cheerful pump action that is in pretty rough shape as it's used around salt water a lot. It's barely worth the price of a duracoat job and bluing just won't last. Any ideas for a quick fix?
    Cheers
    LR
    What about plasti-dip spray?
    Car guys use it on wheels which see some pretty poor conditions.

• Site Banned Posts: 10 Ghost4893

how did you get on? did you BBQ it or plastic coat? I have had a few guns DuraCoat'ed its a great finish and has good finish, it wears well and on a old scrapper it can really bring it back to life! (maybe even up its value!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement