Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alberta Driver License

Options
  • 31-12-2012 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hey folks,

So needing to get a car now but first need to get a driver license. Kinda pissed off that i can't just exchange it. I've looked and i seem to have two options:
    Apply for an Alberta Driver License - Do the test etc
    or exchange Irish license for UK license then exchange that for Alberta License.

TBH by the time me and my wife have completed the theory, practical test and rented out a car we'll have spent several hundred dollars which I don't want to spend so I'm tempted by the second option. We have family in the UK aswel so that part shouldn't be a problem.

The problem I have is with this 2 year period for the UK license. Do i need to have a UK license for 2 years before I can exchange? - I mean would there be an issue date on the DL card. Also, when it comes to insurance, I have 3 years of experience and my wife has 5 so obviously we want that transferred to our Alberta License but would there be a problem when we exchange our UK license? e.g. we have x years on our Irish drivers license but here is our UK license to exchange for the Alberta License?

So if anyone has done it the way i mentioned, perhaps you could explain it a bit more to me ;) I'm in Red Deer aswell.

One more thing, do newcomers have a special tax rate for the first year of residency in Canada - do we get a bit more back on our tax returns?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tinkerspony

You are better off doing the driving test in Alberta than going to the bother of exchanging for the uk one. Firstly the theory test costs about $20 and its easy..multiple choice on a computer that takes 15 minutes. All you need to do is one or 2 lessons and youre set... the test is straight forward...cost for test about $70 and lessons about $50 each. you can sit your test at 24 hours notice and take it anywhere you like...out of the city if you prefer. Bring proof of no claims bonus and you can get a discount on insurance. Road tax is about $80 for a year no matter what the vehicle or engine size. Petrol costs about half the cost in Ireland. Take the Alberta road test... it's straight forward.
    The other option you have is to bring an internationals driving licence from home with you...you can get insured on it and drive for 1 year only. insurance would be a little more expensive
    I hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Is this the same process for pro license ? like i have been driveing on it 5 years i no awful lazy and i should have done the full by now:).. so is it worth my while even bothering going for the full or should i just wait and start the ball running when i get to canada?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    Is this the same process for pro license ? like i have been driveing on it 5 years i no awful lazy and i should have done the full by now:).. so is it worth my while even bothering going for the full or should i just wait and start the ball running when i get to canada?:)

If by pro. You mean provisional there is no process. It is not recognized at all. You will have to start from scratch. Bear in mind once you got your learner permit you can't do the driving test for 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jenniem01

If by pro. You mean provisional there is no process. It is not recognized at all. You will have to start from scratch. Bear in mind once you got your learner permit you can't do the driving test for 12 months

If you do the Class 7 test (Provisional) and don't actually get the license just hold on to your cert that you passed you can do the GDL and book your road test (Class 5) the day of your test register your certificate and get your provisional license.

You then do not have to wait the time frame to be able to sit the test and there are no limitations on when you can drive.
    It is pricey though bear in mind. I can't remember exact price but it is in around these:
    $17.50 - Theory Test
    $80 - Class 7 License
    $60 - road test
    $70 - Class 5 License.

You have to surrender your Irish drivers license.

Advertisement