Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBR Challenge 2013 & Events list

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Brewski78

Finally got some points on the board :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

August is almost over and I'm back training. Nearly time for my first SBR update since before I went off to get married. :D :cool: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Decided to pay a visit to the S/B/R board since April with an update - still ahead of RQ!

All is good in the world:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Izoard wrote: »
    Decided to pay a visit to the S/B/R board since April with an update - still ahead of RQ!

All is good in the world:)

Nice to see you taking advantage of my down time.

*now motivated to update later* :P

Edit: How the f*ck am I in the top 10???

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

Lads, that's it for me in the SBR challenge 2013 - the Lost Sheep was my second and last tri of the year. Taking time out now to fix a bad back injury and will hopefully return to lots of running along with some casual cycling and swimming later in the year.

Shotgun, thanks for setting up the table - it's been a good focus.

Have just entered Boston Marathon 2014 so I won't be doing much SBRing for the first part of new the year anyway.

Good luck to all in any remaining races in 2013.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Silver in the run, no surprise as I did a marathon this year. IM next year and I am seriously examining my performance this year and what I need to change for next year. AaaaHHHH swim!!! What am I going to do?
    Its quite obvious that I have to drag myself off to swim. I actually swam more (OW) this year than any other year - 74km (this is a very rough estimate as I don't have a garmin).

I learned to swim three years ago and I can safely say that I am not a pool swimmer. When it comes to OW I find it so much easier and can swim so much better. I have had my technique analysed and seemingly its sound.
    The thought of pool swims make me want to run!!! I honestly do not know how I am going to do it. I am a member of a club and do club swims, have a swim plan but still I am not motivated. In fact - dare I say it - I hate the pool. I need to find some swim mojo, but how????
    Any help/suggestions will be gladly accepted.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Don't just swim distance, have sets with goal times. I'm a crap swimmer but I love pool sessions because I always get in with a plan and that keeps the brain busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Would it be an idea to run this challenge Oct-Sept to correspond to the racing/training season?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Green&Red wrote: »
    Would it be an idea to run this challenge Oct-Sept to correspond to the racing/training season?

Interesting Idea. You still get a years worth of data and I doubt anything would change.

Any other ideas?

What didn't work about this year's challenge?
    What will we continue to do next year?
    What new stuff will we introduce?

Its your challenge folks. I'll set it up whatever way the majority want and perhaps accommodation some of the out-there ideas.

1 condition though. The next challenge will only go up if Dory Dory updates by 31 December :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Not over yet, still some running to be done in 2013 :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Interesting Idea. You still get a years worth of data and I doubt anything would change.

It would be more about impetus, I personally feel that its not worht updating the current calendar (although I did:cool:) because my season is over and a prep for a new one is just beginning. It would give a truer measure against others

So who will be top SBR Hoochie 2013?! RC and Oryx tied at the top :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I need a few 200k spins to shoot me up there a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Quote i read on the twitter machine this morning...stating the obvious i know but worth mentioning every know and again and i thought it apt here

'Dont judge training success by how many hours or miles you manage to accumulate.Chasing totals is not chasing performance'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Tis very true alright. I do like this table though as it provides one more ingredient to get me out there on those days when i really dont want to!!

Agree, simply logging miles doesn't equate to performance. However, novices usually gain a lot from just getting miles on the bike. The table is a bit of fun but we could make it fun and science. 2 columns for <AT/>AT kms anyone? :pac:

OK folk unstickied for discussion.

Suggested changes for 2014? How can we get a bit more buzz about it? Amazing how many PMS and emails I get to fix stuff or edit stuff so people care :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

OK folk unstickied for discussion.

Suggested changes for 2014? How can we get a bit more buzz about it? Amazing how many PMS and emails I get to fix stuff or edit stuff so people care :)

Can we get it sponsored?

Like swim,bike, run primes?

First to hit X gets Y from sponsor Z?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

tunney wrote: »
    Can we get it sponsored?

Like swim,bike, run primes?

First to hit X gets Y from sponsor Z?

AKW to sponsor the run prime??? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

pgibbo wrote: »
    AKW to sponsor the run prime??? ;)

Ah yeah, no problem once I can fix the result! :rolleyes:

Put the thinking hats on. Rather than just an outright winner for the highest mileage for the season (possibly encouraging junk miles) how about the best year end prediction? (but how do we stop RQ getting 2,000k in 6 months hitting the target, stopping and winning?)

Would there be a way of doing a best improvement but this would mean participation over 2 years of the SBR?

• Advertisement

A best improvement would encourage junk miles and would be easier for those who didnt do much in the previous year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

(Total volume) * (best NS score/100)?

The idea is to encourage volume, while rewarding results. Say you get 1000km total on the run, and during the year your highest NS race score is 120, then you get a SBR run total of 1000*(120/100)=1200. If you score less than 100 in the NS, you get downgraded, sure, but extra volume should take of that! If you don't do a NS series race, well, you should:D

(By the way I'll sponsor a very nice bottle of wine for the winner of the swim category next year)

Another thought. Couldnt the scoring be based on a percentage of the total mileage completed in each discipline by all people in the challenge? Kinda like the percentile thing for NS points?

Edit: Regarding KG... what if youre not doing any NS races? You should is not a good answer.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    (Total volume) * (best NS score/100)?

The idea is to encourage volume, while rewarding results. Say you get 1000km total on the run, and during the year your highest NS race score is 120, then you get a SBR run total of 1000*(120/100)=1200. If you score less than 100 in the NS, you get downgraded, sure, but extra volume should take of that! If you don't do a NS series race, well, you should:D

I know that this SBR Challenge is a bit of a laugh and a bit of fun but no need to make it a total joke by involving the NS.

Oryx wrote: »
    Another thought. Couldnt the scoring be based on a percentage of the total mileage completed in each discipline by all people in the challenge? Kinda like the percentile thing for NS points?

Edit: Regarding KG... what if youre not doing any NS races? You should is not a good answer.

You're right, it's not a good answer. There's no fair way of ranking people if you want to eliminate the junk miles element. Personally I get a little bored with the table as it stands, ranking volume. But it's pretty fair as it stands.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    You're right, it's not a good answer. There's no fair way of ranking people if you want to eliminate the junk miles element. Personally I get a little bored with the table as it stands, ranking volume. But it's pretty fair as it stands.

Already had this discussion? Whats junk miles? Does such a thing exist?

tunney wrote: »
    Already had this discussion? Whats junk miles? Does such a thing exist?
    Pretty sure what I'm doing on the turbo as I type, qualifies ;)

OK so far

Sponsoring? Primes? Maybe if there was a fair system to weight IMers and multi HIMers with Messers :)

NS calculated = nope.. not everyone races NS BUT incorporating predicted race results vs actual results in terms of total seconds difference*various metrics etc..?

Only measures volume = yes as it was originally designed for. How to inject more interesting data? How to inject fun? How to inject more participation?

Looks like the Gold marks are elusive. Too high? How as bronze/silver/gold vs the old green/gold?

Also, to repeat: No 2014 challenge posted until Dory Dory updates :D Sheesh even Tunney is included this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I dont think it encourages junk miles. It might make people do more training and sure a 20-30k easy cycle, which might not be part of a plan fir the week, is better than sitting on the couch for 95% of us. i dont think there are many here who are training at the limit where 'junk miles' would then not be a good idea. I know i cud manage another 4-5hours a week if what people call junk miles before it would become a bad idea. So long as its kept easy/recovery its going to help.

Maybe add a goal achievement element to it?

• Advertisement

Agree, simply logging miles doesn't equate to performance. However, novices usually gain a lot from just getting miles on the bike. The table is a bit of fun but we could make it fun and science. 2 columns for <AT/>AT kms anyone? :pac:

For some AT means AT, for some it meant "I'm too much of a pansy to push hard on bike and run and want to b1tch out in tests". For the latter category AT is anothers easy run on RPE. Metrics which involve testing are not a great idea for something like this. Unless we can categorise posters as "legitimate" or "soft c0ck"

Advertisement