Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBR Challenge 2013 & Events list

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

OK so far

Sponsoring? Primes? Maybe if there was a fair system to weight IMers and multi HIMers with Messers :)
    Who is leading the SBR Challenge and what IM did they do? the top four are a mix HIM and Sprint/Olympic.

As for the messers - may I suggest "After Hours"?
    NS calculated = nope.. not everyone races NS BUT incorporating predicted race results vs actual results in terms of total seconds difference*various metrics etc..?

Only measures volume = yes as it was originally designed for. How to inject more interesting data? How to inject fun? How to inject more participation?

Looks like the Gold marks are elusive. Too high? How as bronze/silver/gold vs the old green/gold?

Unsurprisingly I'm of the opinion that gold (like medals) should be hard to achieve, not just handed out willy nilly to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Looks like the Gold marks are elusive. Too high? How as bronze/silver/gold vs the old green/gold?

I'd agree with Tunney- there's only one gold as things stand at the moment and its well deserved. Gold should be hard to get.

Starting to think Mike you opened this up for discussion so we could see it's fine as it stands:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Mike it's fine. It's the best it has been since it started. Gold aint easy, thats the point.

If people were logging 'junk' miles you've have way more golds than we have. The 3 gold targets are actually easy enough to achieve if you're just doing easy sessions all the time.

Only 3 or 4 IMers in the top 20 as well so there's space for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I'd agree with Tunney- there's only one gold as things stand at the moment and its well deserved. Gold should be hard to get.

Starting to think Mike you opened this up for discussion so we could see it's fine as it stands:)

Yes gold should be hard to get. The 3 golds on previous challenges maybe soft. The one gold mark I was iffy about originally was the run. The ranking works better this year than the predecessors also. Less work for me to maintain things :)

The reasons I opened for discussion..
    A) we have lots of new and lurking posters on the forum ( which is still relatively new itself)
    B) I value the input of all participants and will amend as popular request while keeping the original idea intact.
    C) I'm generally looking for ideas to inject banter during the year and if it needs a fun column added or formatted to facilitate then so be it, not to fundamentally change the challenge.
    D) No changes to challenge format after Jan 01 2014:)

@bambaata - +1 on encouraging simple participation. I get messages at the end of every year to that effect to confirm peoples get value from simply logging data. Adding a goal element is interesting. Is it even necessary to have the current "goal distance' column ? Might be more interesting to put an event as A Goal?

The only thing I think would be cool would be a monthly league. Placings determined in what you logged that month, so everyone starts afresh on the first of every month. Maybe some sort of record of everyones placings at the end of each month or something. Would show different stages different people are at in their training.

If you can set up a new page and send data over automatically so people only add data once. Similar I guess to how the guys on the 1000 mile challenge add their miles on one sheet and it's all tabled and all the actual data is on another. I'll leave the spreadsheet genius stuff to you MCOS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Timely reminder to update as have not done so in a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Timely reminder to update as have not done so in a good while.

Ever since I agreed not to slag your "disability" I'm finding boards less interesting.

Admittedly the "dwarf throwing" was a bad idea at Dolan's wedding. Especially when I did the same to the guy I didn't know who was smaller than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Along the line of what RQ has suggested above, I've been trying to figure out how to automatically update the SBR spreadsheet from my own training log spreadsheet.

In that spreadsheet is a monthly split of S/B/R distances which are collated into a total for Year to Date which I just carry over to the SBR. If you wanted to do a monthly league it could be a starting point for the SBR2014

That aside having just achieved Silver Run and updated my first swim since August (a 200m swim yesterday, junk anyone? :) ) I agree with everyone, the goals are spot on, gold being only achieved by the top one or two.

+ 1 on "It's fine Mike"

Nice idea of a monthly league RC :). I'll chat with AKW about the creation. Trying to get my head around how it would look and how it works as as league. Might be interesting to break the bronze/silver/gold down to months and then at least achieving one gold in a year is much more possible. We could transfer that points system to main challenge? So, same 3,4,5 points for each mark but the main page shows overall progress only. Points would be only score and does not encompass rank. Simply most points is ranked #1 rather than lowest. Fazz on -6 is odd. Might look better if he was simply ranked #1 on 120 points for achieving 10*bronze, 10*silver and 10*gold. Rank #2 on 110 points etc... It opens it up a bit but the highest average across all 3 will still top as currently. We could fix it so that data entry is on one page only and all status changes are automatic and on one page.

Thoughts?

Edit: overall gold would still mean maintaining a monthly gold level average. Not diluting it!!

Well done to Fazz on Swim Gold, JB on Bike Gold and d.runs on Run Gold! Lots of work to get those :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

why is this not stuck to the top of the tri/dua/adv racing page anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Trig1 wrote: »
    why is this not stuck to the top of the tri/dua/adv racing page anymore?
    read the thread? People were discussing whether to change the challenge poss to link it to how season goes rather than just calendar year. Also if not stickied the thread can be seen more in discussion and more people likely to contribute.

FWIW I think changing to start challenge at start October would be better than January as it matches season better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

read the thread? People were discussing whether to change the challenge poss to link it to how season goes rather than just calendar year. Also if not stickied the thread can be seen more in discussion and more people likely to contribute.

FWIW I think changing to start challenge at start October would be better than January as it matches season better

Sorry...Just caught up on the thread now..Mike i think its fine as it is!! and Yes- the Gold should be hard to achieve! my time is running out on trying to achieve bike Gold this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Stuck in a death match with those queens of Boards, Oryx and RQ, for that coveted 6th place...must-go-that-extra-mile in December...

Izoard wrote: »
    Stuck in a death match with those queens of Boards, Oryx and RQ, for that coveted 6th place...must-go-that-extra-mile in December...

Better post an update :p

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

For next year can we have a column that states your A target race not just distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Finally swim Bronze. I have swam 101 times this year - this means I average 1km per swim. Pretty poor. Since November I have done a weekly - slow 2km swim, hence the bronze. 400tt next week and I hope to improve on my record breaking time of 8:53:p. If I improve then I reckon the theory of going slow and long really does improve performance will be confirmed.

Oryx wrote: »
    For next year can we have a column that states your A target race not just distance?

Yes

Prepping the 2014 SBR challenge over the next few days...

Any and all suggestions welcome for the data table or adding any sub challenges to it. RC's monthly sub league is interesting still

Don't forget to update your 2013 data before year end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

I record three areas in training - distance, number of sessions and have only recently started to record training time. The SBR table covers all three areas. Noticed though that only nine people used the time section. How about three sections for keeping time spent on swim, bike and run?
    Overall I think the table is super, thanks Shotgunmcos.

• Advertisement

OK started putting the 2014 SBR together. Its basically the same as 2013

I like the idea of a monthly league that carries your data over from the main sheet automatically. The monthly ranks could also set up an automatic overall score that trumps overall distance and make the challenge a bit more open if that were to appeal to everyone?

However I need help to set up the right formulae :o

Any excel/gdrive experts out there please drop me a pm and I'll add you onto the doc?

Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

better with excel than i am with google docs, but i'll try and give you hand if you need help

mossym wrote: »
    better with excel than i am with google docs, but i'll try and give you hand if you need help

Thanks link and idea sent.. hope you you can help! :cool:

Reminder

Tuesday is the last day for updating. I will allow a few hours for those out West (Dory ;)) to still update in 2013!

2014 Challenge just about ready to go so get a last run in on Tuesday or save it for Wednesday and take the lead for 2014 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Reminder

Tuesday is the last day for updating. I will allow a few hours for those out West (Dory ;)) to still update in 2013!

2014 Challenge just about ready to go so get a last run in on Tuesday or save it for Wednesday and take the lead for 2014 :D

Cheers for all the hard work that goes into this MCOS. I think the amount of people who up date this regularly is a sure sign of how much it's appreciated.

I've just guestimated an update for what little running I have done down here in the Southern Hemisphere. There'll be nothing more, there's been nothing for almost two week now. Lows of 27 during the night (its 35+ during the day) are not great training conditions for a ginger :)

A relatively poor year for me, no real consistency, I had a full 4 months with zero swimming and a almost the same with zero running. Biking was ok-ish but no real hard work, mostly easy spins. But more important things happened this year...

I look forward to the 2014 version but I warn not to make it too complicated or complex, this may put many people off.

Cheers BTH. 2014 will incorporate some of the suggestions but it will remain a simple single sheet data entry for all participants with the spreadsheet doing the rest of the work. Have to give mossym credit for helping me create a simpler way for the 2014 version :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Cheers BTH. 2014 will incorporate some of the suggestions but it will remain a simple single sheet data entry for all participants with the spreadsheet doing the rest of the work. Have to give mossym credit for helping me create a simpler way for the 2014 version :)

in fairness i didn't do anything, you did all the work, i just sound-boarded ideas. Not going to take credit when the effort was on your side!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

OK started putting the 2014 SBR together. Its basically the same as 2013

I like the idea of a monthly league that carries your data over from the main sheet automatically. The monthly ranks could also set up an automatic overall score that trumps overall distance and make the challenge a bit more open if that were to appeal to everyone?

However I need help to set up the right formulae :o

Any excel/gdrive experts out there please drop me a pm and I'll add you onto the doc?

Thanks

MCOS, I only spotted this, if you are ever stuck ROM on the A/R is fairly handy with Google docs, though good to see mossym was able to help keep it in the 'family' ;)

Can't wait for the new edition of the spreadsheet, blank slate and all that :)

AKW wrote: »
    MCOS, I only spotted this, if you are ever stuck ROM on the A/R is fairly handy with Google docs, though good to see mossym was able to help keep it in the 'family' ;)

Can't wait for the new edition of the spreadsheet, blank slate and all that :)

Cheers AKW. I thought of him alright but decided to keep it within the family at all costs! Didn't want the sort of off grey dark side to have a claim to our shiny new challenge :) Thankfully we have some clever clogs on this forum.

The original SBR (remember the 2010 chaos on boards tables :eek:) was akin to the 1000mile but the 2014 version is a million kms from it and will be much more fun this year :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Thanks MCOS for creating this and maintaining it. I thought the format this year was spot on.

Last year I was 20th or 19th and this year I will be inside the top 10 so that is encouraging. Maybe I can set my sights on top 5 for next year especially as their will be the small matter of the national middle distance champs to contend with.

Well done everybody and good luck next year.

Advertisement