Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Measurements

Options
  • 31-12-2012 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

I hope this is ok to post here.

I'm making coconut macaroons, but got a different packet of coconut than normal and never checked the weight.

The recipe I use calls for 225g desiccated coconut, 150g caster sugar & 2 eggs.

I only have 200g of coconut.

How would you suggest I adjust the other 2 ingredients?

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

It's close enough, just use the 200g with the same measurements.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would say close enough too, so no worry.

But dunno if you were wondering about the maths or what to do with the eggs in particular. For future reference

200g/225g=0.8888

You multiply the others by this, so 150g becomes 133g for the sugar.

For the eggs if you had a digital scales you could zero it with a bowl, crack 2 eggs in and very lightly mix them up. Now workout 0.888 of the weight and remove egg until it equals it, so if it was 100g you remove 11g.

Of course eggs will vary in size anyways, so the person who wrote it could have had much bigger ones than yours. If you only had 150g of coconut it might have been worth doing the above.

I do wish they gave weights across the board in recipes since I am overly exact and I never trust internet recipes as it could be in a country with very different "normal sizes" for things. And don't start me on the US volumetric nonsense.

Advertisement