Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most embarrassing name on a shirt

• 31-12-2012 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭

So, come on , own up, we've all done it

Apart from owning Chris Sutton, Robert Fleck and Peter Bonetti shirts ( bad move, hated playing in goal and of course got stuck in there every time, cos I had to wear the shirt cos it was a present)

I got a No 9 shirt with, ahem, Steve Sidwell on it! :o

Still dont undersdtand how that happened!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

So, come on , own up, we've all done it

Apart from owning Chris Sutton, Robert Fleck and Peter Bonetti shirts ( bad move, hated playing in goal and of course got stuck in there every time, cos I had to wear the shirt cos it was a present)

I got a No 9 shirt with, ahem, Steve Sidwell on it! :o

Still dont undersdtand how that happened!

I know a man scraping 50 who gets his nickname on his shirt. I don;t have the heart to tell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Kanchelskis 14 and Cole 9 for United

Glass 11 for Hibs.

Never got name number combo with Cork.

Did get Keane 6 on my Ireland jersey few days before kicked out of Ireland squad though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Kvarme

On a Liverpool shirt in my youth, thread over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Mate of mine called Fernando has Torres on the back of his shirt,now that is embarasing!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I only ever had a name on the back of one jersey and that was Beckham 7 so that was grand.

I did see a child with the white United jersey from around '08-'09 and he had "Teves 32" on the back...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I went to the Boleyn ground shop when I was younger and I wanted Marc Rieper's name on my shirt, the squad numbers hadn't come out but they told me he would be 5 instead of the retiring Alvin Martin. He ended up getting 8 as I don't think Alvin Martin retired. I also had 3 Dicks on another shirt.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Came very close to gettin Quigley 9 on the back of my rovers jersey this year. Glad I didn't now, I like that jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I only ever had a name on the back of one jersey and that was Beckham 7 so that was grand.

I did see a child with the white United jersey from around '08-'09 and he had "Teves 32" on the back...

only one I ever had too!

Got the Ireland one before the Euros and was going to get one of the players names on the back...then I remembered that I wasn't 12 anymore :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

keith16 wrote: »
    only one I ever had too!

Got the Ireland one before the Euros and was going to get one of the players names on the back...then I remembered that I wasn't 12 anymore :D

Mid 40's and had two Liverpooltops with Torres 9 on the back, burnt both of them, will never get a players name on the back of one again. Still have Carragher 23 though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Mid 40's and had two Liverpooltops with Torres 9 on the back, burnt both of them, will never get a players name on the back of one again. Still have Carragher 23 though :)
    Burning them is a bit extreme. What did he do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

burned them?
    Why not just put them in a charity bag or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

The only two times my son got a name on the back of his jersey, the player left at the end of that season :

• Alonso
    • Torres

.... I currently begging him to get :

• Cole
    • Downing
    • Carroll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I still see the odd lad in the pubs with "Keane 7" on their Liverpool shirts.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    burned them?
    Why not just put them in a charity bag or something?

I still love Nando, even though he left us, he gave me some great memories, including the Torres bounce.
    The missus burns all the old clothes, unless they are in perfect nick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Seen a guy with a Celtic jersey with Eire 32 on the back.

Put my own name in Irish on the back of a jersey. It had to be in an arc with so many letters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Seen a guy with a Celtic jersey with Eire 32 on the back.

Put my own name in Irish on the back of a jersey. It had to be in an arc with so many letters.

What's Rodriguez as gaeilge? Ó Rodrigéis-olaíocht I'd say. Must have cost a packet!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

My brother has Diaby 2 on the back of an old Arsenal jersey. Mind you, he wears the shirt more than Diaby does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I had a Wimbledon jersey from around 1994, had Jones 4 on the back. Legend!
    Wouldn't get a name on a jersey now, i'm too old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Heskey 8 ... seemed like a good idea at the time Liverpool signed him. Could also add Collymore 8 before he went off the rails... sure knew how to pick them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Aquilani 4 on a Liverpool shirt a few years ago... It was after he had a few MOTM performances at the end of his first season.

He went on loan two weeks later.

• Advertisement

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Heskey 8 ... seemed like a good idea at the time Liverpool signed him. Could also add Collymore 8 before he went off the rails... sure knew how to pick them!

Collymore was acceptable imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

I have Joe Cole Liverpool jersey do I win?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

I had Diao on the back of a Liverpool jersey. He started pretty well when he signed. Remember he scored against Leeds and I was over in Anfield the week later and got it done.

Stupidest.

Decision.

Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I still love Nando, even though he left us, he gave me some great memories, including the Torres bounce.

Waaaaay off topic here but leave them into Barnardos or somewhere - someone would be very glad of them.

alproctor wrote: »
    Waaaaay off topic here but leave them into Barnardos or somewhere - someone would be very glad of them.

No one, and I mean no one, would wear a Torres 9 Liverpool shirt, no one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,582 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The most embarrassing name on a shirt is always your own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I wouldnt imagine Darren Bent sold many shirts.

CSF wrote: »
    The most embarrassing name on a shirt is always your own

Unless you're under the age of 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

That deserves a tread of its own!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Got Tim Howard on a United shirt, got some stick over that alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Have a friend who used to wear the Villa jersey with Draper on the back and it was his pride and joy. The D peeled off in the wash, he carried on wearing it anyway...

:/

tumblr_m592t2hZGE1rqhbsko1_400.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

'Jordan 4' on a City away shirt. Just marginally worse than two Joey Bartons and a Samaras :o

A friend got McGeady on a Celtic shirt only for the 'e' and 'd' to peel off. Oh the fun we had pointing out the new name :D

Never got a name on a shirt.

Prefer them the way they are tbh.

No idea why people put their own name on their shirt :confused: In case they forget their name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Never got a name on a shirt.

Prefer them the way they are tbh.

No idea why people put their own name on their shirt :confused: In case they forget their name?
    If you are going to buy a shirt in the first place whats the harm in getting your name put on it? I've never done it but I can understand it as much and maybe even more than having a players name on it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

On professional players Chicorito, Hulk etc. Makes them look like chavs on a Magaluf holiday and it's a farce they're allowed to do it.

On fans, anyone above the age of 13 who gets their own name or a current player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I had Brunt on my jersey. B pealed off, r changed to a C. But then the n pealed off too, so close...

/ridiculous thread.

eagle eye wrote: »
    If you are going to buy a shirt in the first place whats the harm in getting your name put on it? I've never done it but I can understand it as much and maybe even more than having a players name on it.

Are you sure? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

At Elland Road for Man United game years ago spotted at about a dozen home fans with

WE
    MAN U

Quite clever in a way I suppose but bit of a chip on the shoulder mentality. Was United's first domestic game after qualifying for Champions' League final in 99. Good times :)

On professional players Chicorito, Hulk etc. Makes them look like chavs on a Magaluf holiday and it's a farce they're allowed to do it.

Would you have said the same for Pele, Jairzinho, Tostão???

• Advertisement

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Would you have said the same for Pele, Jairzinho, Tostão???
    Yes, why wouldn't I?

Putting a shorter version of your name is ok if you have a mental long one but nicknames your mates give you... getoutuvit. What if the English lads turned out with all their gammy names 'Wazza', 'Ando' etc :rolleyes:

Yes, why wouldn't I?

Putting a shorter version of your name is ok if you have a mental long one but nicknames your mates give you... getoutuvit. What if the English lads turned out with all their gammy names 'Wazza', 'Ando' etc :rolleyes:

ok, such as?

Al Capwned wrote: »
    ok, such as?
    de Assis Moreira?

So Ronaldinho (real name: Ronaldo Assis de Moreira) is OK, but Hulk (Givanildo Vieira de Souza) isnt?

Serious temptation to use roll eyes here.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

kuntz.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

At the Everton v Bohs match in Dalymount I saw a lad in an Everton jersey that read "I 8 the sh1te". It was unfortunate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I remember there was pic of an Arsenal fan (i think) floating around with Huntelaar on his back as he thought they were going to sign him. That must have been quite embarrassing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    At the Everton v Bohs match in Dalymount I saw a lad in an Everton jersey that read "I 8 the sh1te". It was unfortunate.

I've seen heysel references on the back of efc shirts, can't remember the exact way it was put, but something about murders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

de Assis Moreira?

Moreira is what would be used

having both parents names is just for formal stuff i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

409443_463439327036596_1153626825_n.jpg
    :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement