Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Article on Food Obsessed Britain.

Options
  • 31-12-2012 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

Journalist Will Self on food obsessed Britain. I have to say, I agree with him whole heartedly, particularly about the amount of food related programmes on television. Almost needless to say, the reason I'm posting is, I feel the same applies here in Ireland.: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20836616

There was a time when a cookery or food show was special, interesting and worth watching, now they are merely "entertainment".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

The author hasn't really made a case for why this is a bad thing, if that's what he's trying to do. Perhaps you could argue that the time and effort spent on food could be used more productively. But on the other hand, increased interest in food means that people are also getting more knowledgeable about health, which can only be good. I especially like how the information age has brought about diversity and transparency of information, so people can interpret the data for themselves rather than the government or anyone else deciding "conventional wisdom".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I read that in full.
    I really can't figure out what it is he's trying to say - that there's too many cookery shows on TV.? I agree but it's a lot of posturing just to say that. I'm extremely bored by food in the media but it's hardly a social illness, is it? Is the plethora of antique shows and property makeover programmes also a sign of an unravelling society or just a sign of, like cookery shows, uninspired media programming?
    Boring journalism about boring TV, methinks.
    Ooo, I ranted, there. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Hear ! Hear ! @ the beer revolu and fohlam

Btw, there are worse shows one could watch (like Peter André : What happened next - or some such things) :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Hear ! Hear ! @ the beer revolu and fohlam

Btw, there are worse shows one could watch (like Peter André : What happened next - or some such things) :p

Read the thread earlier and I had the same thought, if those programmes weren't on, what crap would replace them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I suppose cookery programmes had to become entertaining, because after so many 'how to' shows we needed a change. I enjoyed Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers, and I like Saturday Kitchen because of the chat and banter. And yes - they're definitely preferable to the reality shows!

• Advertisement
Advertisement