Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking through temple bar - evening time

Options
  • 31-12-2012 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, sorry if this sounds really strange and random, but I am taking my niece to the Olympia this weekend and we are staying in the nearby Fleet Street hotel. I was just wondering if it would be ok to walk through Temple bar to the hotel at roughly 8 or 9pm? I am not familiar with this area at all. I suppose in a way I am concerned for the safety of my niece. I love Dublin, but the last time I was there a strange man grabbed me and wouldn't let me past, it was so frightening. I am not saying that the whole population of Dublin is like this, but at least if I knew what sort of area this would be I would be a lot happier.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Anongeneric

No problem at all, at that time of night,
    just like any other city or large town don´t go walking down any dark alleys but
    fine at that time of night and that part of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Thank you very much. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Should be fine. There'll be loads of people knocking around Temple Bar at that time of night, so you won't be alone. Temple Bar can get a bit messy later in the night but at that time, it should be fine. But if you want to cut down on the possibility of running into any kind of drunken behaviour, just take Westmoreland St to College Green, pass the Bank of Ireland, and just follow Dame St down to the Olympia. It shouldn't take you more than a couple of minutes more to walk, and is much better lit than the smaller side streets & alleyways of Temple Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

ProudDUB wrote: »
    But if you want to cut down on the possibility of running into any kind of drunken behaviour, just take Westmoreland St to College Green, pass the Bank of Ireland, and just follow Dame St down to the Olympia. It shouldn't take you more than a couple of minutes more to walk, and is much better lit than the smaller side streets & alleyways of Temple Bar.

^^ this

another added bonus is that you'd be walking on pavement as opposed to on cobblestones

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Just checked it there on the map, it looks like a good route. I thought walking through Temple Bar would be the most convenient and quickest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Anongeneric

Very welocome hon, enjoy your evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Yes, It's a totally good humoured place at that time and TBH, generally. People with too much to drink later on, lots of scabs, but very little trouble. and quite funny most of the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Just checked it there on the map, it looks like a good route. I thought walking through Temple Bar would be the most convenient and quickest.
    It would be more convenient and quick to walk through Temple Bar, but marginally safer to use the other route

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

It would be more convenient and quick to walk through Temple Bar, but marginally safer to use the other route

I always find it quicker to skirt around Temple Bar (maybe thats because I tend to walk fairly quickly) because of the slow moving crowds in it. I tend to find it easier to walk on the pavement around it rather than on the cobblestones but each to their own ;)

Advertisement