Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite book this year?

Options
  • 01-01-2013 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

There was a thread on this last year so I thought I'd do another one to see what we all enjoyed reading this year. Anyone find any new autor/genre/writing style that they enjoyed?

My own favourites this year by far were the Flashman series of books by George McDonald Fraser. Flashman is one of the great comedic creations and placing him in the thick of so many historical events was an inspired device by Fraser. I will be re-reading these books for many years to come.

Honourable mention also to The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Sterne. I stumbled across this one day in the library and thoroughly enjoyed it. I usually prefer more story-orientated books but the language in this book was delightful and had me chuckling aloud to myself on many occasions.

So that's it for another year. I didn't get to read as much as I wanted this year what with going back to college and all but I don't think we ever get to read as much as we would like, no matter how much time we have.
    I loved getting a Kindle last Christmas and have found it great but I also still love reading books. Both have their merits and if humans and fish can co-exist peacefully then I see no reason why books and Kindles can't do the same :p Happy New Year everyone :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I'd posted it in the This week ... thread but my absolute favourite book of 2012 has to be The Infinite Tides by Christian Kiefer
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13000877-the-infinite-tides

It really is quite beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Both have their merits and if humans and fish can co-exist peacefully then I see no reason why books and Kindles can't do the same :p Happy New Year everyone :D

I had fish for dinner. Down with Kindle!! :mad:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭pavb2

My favourite read last year was The Siege of Krishnapur - J.G. Farrell

The story of a colonial outpost in India under siege during the Sepoy rebellion. The humour is understated and using the silver tea service as ammunition for the cannon when they had nothing else left was inspired.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Off the top of my head it was probably "The Art of Fielding" by Chad Harbach,
    Kevin Barry's collection of short stories "Dark Lies the Island was also brilliant, his novel "city of Bohane" was absolute pants though.

Advertisement