Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get a visa for the US when your father was in US military

Options
  • 01-01-2013 2:49am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of applying for a green card for the US. I have no major skills but my father was in the US military and he has a US pension, through which I have a social security number. Would that give me any great advantage in applying for a green card. I'm fairly certain I could get someone sponsor me for a job but not sure how much work it would be for them for do it. I'm 33 years old btw.

Anyone know what the craic is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Your father having been in the military is of no consequence for you unless he became a US citizen through that. Then you might be a citizen too, or he could sponsor you for a visa which will lead to a greencard.

A work visa will not automatically get you a greencard, but it can after a few years of work. It costs upward of $5000 and your employer needs to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

If your dad was an American citizen when you were born, then you are an American citizen.

If he wasn't, then I'm not sure it's of any help. There are exceptions made for children under 18 years old who have parents in the military, but obviously that wouldn't apply to you.

Advertisement