Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End Irish Water Fluoridation

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

This is how I feel when audio autoplays on websites.

*stolen from Reddit
    **I have no other proper advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Autoplay - do not do this. Mouse goes straight to close window, and you've lost a site visitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Thanks agreed auto play is off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

First off, fair feckin play to you. We all have our bitch-fests on all kinds of issues but not one in ten thousand actually puts the time and effort into doing something about it.

Secondly, what the others said. Auto-noise is the worst thing you can do to any website.

Thirdly (don't hate me)... the text is much too verbose. There must be a few hundred pages worth of text in there, without a degree in science people will understand less than 10% of it and won't find that 10% in the current format.

IMHO each section of the website should contain no more than a couple of paragraphs (or even just bullet points) summarizing the info in simple terms, along with graphs or images and links to sources specific to that section. The complete report would be available as a pdf for those with the time, interest and education to deal with the details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭ivanc

Hi,

The slider doesn't autoplay in FF and the slider inner panel doesn't display correctly on the iPad.

I agree with Gurgle's "verbose" comment - it needs to be cut back into into bite sized chunks that people will be able to digest quickly.

Just out of curiosity - what exactly is the problem with having fluoride in our water?

• Advertisement

Thanks Gurgle. Agreed 100%

Revamping the Homepage with Paragraphs/Bullets over the coming days.

Will also add a pdf download.

best wishes

ivanc wrote: »
    Hi,

The slider doesn't autoplay in FF and the slider inner panel doesn't display correctly on the iPad.

Thanks, will get onto this

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭changeling

Hi

Might I suggest you put a social slider on home page, then it can be shared easily and get the word out there!

Facebook like button, Twitter, Digg, Reddit, Google plus

Thanks Changeling but I refuse to put a social slider on this website and especially on the homepage. They are visual noise and contradictory to belief are ineffective at invoking change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Content is utter nonsense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭changeling

Seanergy wrote: »
    Thanks Changeling but I refuse to put a social slider on this website and especially on the homepage. They are visual noise and contradictory to belief are ineffective at invoking change.

Is not the whole point of the site to inform? :confused:
    What's the point of having a nice looking informative site if nobody knows it's there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

• Registered Users Posts: 40 weeda

http://www.irjponline.com/admin/php/.../issue4/13.pdf

tons of other other stuff against it. Look at latest report by Declan Waugh...worrying.

I read that 97% of the eu DON'T put Fluoride in the water...we're the 2% that do :confused:

COMPLETELY REDESIGNED: feedback welcome again. just gone live

Screen-shot-2013-05-18-at-7.32.39-PM.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

Typos on the homepage look awful, and there's no need to capitalise fluoride. I don't understand why you've filled the above-the-fold view with council logos. A single icon leading to the page where you actually can select your area would be much more sensible -- then you could put the
    During the month of May your Town City and County Councils will be voting on this motion. Why not show them your support and back this motion.

statement above the fold.

thanks Bucklesman

replaced all the capital F's on Fluoride

Bucklesman wrote: »
    I don't understand why you've filled the above-the-fold view with council logos. A single icon leading to the page where you actually can select your area would be much more sensible --

I will consider what you said but feel the County Councils logo's have worth. Thanks againi:cool:

Is this what you meant? thanks great feedback

Screen-shot-2013-05-18-at-8.01.19-PM.png

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Aced_Up

Seanergy wrote: »
    Just finished www.EndIrishWaterFluoridation.com

Not the most romantic new years ever but got the site done.

Feedback very welcome.

:cool:

Maybe you should add 'education' for people regarding dental hygiene... Since this is what flouridisation was meant for (I believe)

There will be a fair few that just don't get dental hygiene...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

You brush your teeth with fluoridated toothpaste and spit the stuff out.

That's good if you like to use fluoride for the teeth but why the heck do we have to ingest it from the main water supply, what benefit does it have for ingesting ? none, it's not supposed to be ingested, the whole point of spitting it out after brushing.

Get this garbage out of the main water supply system, there is no benefit from ingesting it, bad news this crap is.

• Advertisement

Aced_Up wrote: »
    Maybe you should add 'education' for people regarding dental hygiene... Since this is what flouridisation was meant for (I believe)

There will be a fair few that just don't get dental hygiene...

Give people a choice whether they want to use fluoride or not.

If they want to use it, they can purchase it in most places but the forced mass medication to the population is illegal and a human rights issue.

zenno wrote: »
    Give people a choice whether they want to use fluoride or not.

If they want to use it, they can purchase it in most places but the forced mass medication to the population is illegal and a human rights issue.

I agree. Would be good if you add some education on dental hygiene too.

As you said, an alternative.

Aced_Up wrote: »
    I agree. Would be good if you add some education on dental hygiene too.

As you said, an alternative.

Well dental hygiene is a must, but as i previously said...fluoride is not supposed to be ingested do you agree ?

You spit it out after brushing so the fluoride is only connected to the teeth, but ingesting this fluoride as in drinking a daily water supply of a few pints per day is nonsensical because it is only supposed to be used topically and not for ingestion.

I got into this debate before in the past and i'm all for choice, as in...i want to brush my teeth and keep them healthy and i have the choice of whether i want to use fluoridated toothpaste or non fluoridated toothpaste, it's great to have the choice, that's good.

But my only problem is the main water supply system.

It's a bit insane for the government to say, ok, lets make sure peoples teeth will be ok by fluoridating the water supply so their teeth will get a good lash of it every day...But they never thought of the basic logic of ...hey, they will be ingesting it on a large scale and it's not supposed to be ingested because your teeth are not in your stomach.

The basic fact of this is this...Fluoride is only supposed to be used topically, it was never meant to be used as a medication for ingestion.

Anyway... "Software and Web Development > Website Reviews "End Irish Water Fluoridation" This is in the wrong thread anyway.

Well dental hygiene is a must, but as i previously said...fluoride is not supposed to be ingested do you agree ?

You spit it out after brushing so the fluoride is only connected to the teeth, but ingesting this fluoride as in drinking a daily water supply of a few pints per day is nonsensical because it is only supposed to be used topically and not for ingestion.

I got into this debate before in the past and i'm all for choice, as in...i want to brush my teeth and keep them healthy and i have the choice of whether i want to use fluoridated toothpaste or non fluoridated toothpaste, it's great to have the choice, that's good.

But my only problem is the main water supply system.

It's a bit insane for the government to say, ok, lets make sure peoples teeth will be ok by fluoridating the water supply so their teeth will get a good lash of it every day...But they never thought of the basic logic of ...hey, they will be ingesting it on a large scale and it's not supposed to be ingested because your teeth are not in your stomach.

The basic fact of this is this...Fluoride is only supposed to be used topically, it was never meant to be used as a medication for ingestion.

Anyway... "Software and Web Development > Website Reviews "End Irish Water Fluoridation" This is in the wrong thread anyway.

Ok thanks for in-depth reply... You are just repeating what i agree with. Which wasn't the point of my feedback.

Good luck with your campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bobafettucine

Hard to argue with that logic alright.

That is why I always inject aspirin directly into my noggin when I have a headache, split open my skin and muscular layers on a daily basis to rub calcium directly onto my bones and drip-feed selenium into my brain through a special hole in my skull.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭alphamule

Hard to argue with that logic alright.

That is why I always inject aspirin directly into my noggin when I have a headache, split open my skin and muscular layers on a daily basis to rub calcium directly onto my bones and drip-feed selenium into my brain through a special hole in my skull.

You really have no idea do you!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bobafettucine

alphamule wrote: »
    You really have no idea do you!

Actually, I do. Why do you say that?

Over 5000 forms were filled out in a short space of time and with respect to Councillors, Ministers and Local water authorities in-boxes the website has now ceased in promoting Skibbereen Town Councils motion calling for an immediate end to Irish water fluoridation. The website has been redesigned to support Irish journalist Iva Pocock appearance before the EU Petitions Committee.

Screen-shot-2013-06-27-at-10.44.51-PM.png

I will be adding education to the website at some stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement