Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 watergrasshill to dunkettle, dual carraigeway or motorway?

Options
  • 01-01-2013 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

I was looking at apple maps (not that it's very reliable :P) and noticed the M8 changes to N8 after watergrasshill heading to dunkettle.

I'm pretty sure the speed limit is 120 until Glanmire though and changes a bit after? And when you join from watergrasshill the signs are blue but I haven't noticed any big no cyclists pedestrians L drivers etc sign.

So what i want to know is the legality of driving from watergrasshill (or even glanmire) to dunkettle as an L driver on that road?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭Carlow2011

The old 'Glanmire bypass' from Dunkettle to Glanmire is 100kph from there on you're 120 to Naas, happy safe motoring!!

No 'L' drivers allowed on this stretch though but this doesn't seem to be much of a concern to RSA at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

Carlow2011 wrote: »
    The old 'Glanmire bypass' from Dunkettle to Glanmire is 100kph from there on you're 120 to Naas, happy safe motoring!!

No 'L' drivers allowed on this stretch though but this doesn't seem to be much of a concern to RSA at the moment.

Thanks! So Joining at Glanmire going to dunkettle is ok or is that a no no too?
    It's dodgy lately for checkpoints at the end of that road and I'd hate to get done for something so trivial.
    But it's some dose trying to avoid it too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The M8 extends from Portlaoise to Dunkettle. If it has an 'M' in the designation, it is a motorway.

The Glanmire Bypass is 100km/h for a number of reasons, particularly the tight curves, where traffic can only see a certain distance ahead, especially on the median side. Approaching Dunkettle, there is a need to slow traffic before the interchange.
    stacexD wrote: »
    And when you join from watergrasshill the signs are blue but I haven't noticed any big no cyclists pedestrians L drivers etc sign.
    The motorway 'chopsticks' sign means all of this and you know this.
    So what i want to know is the legality of driving from watergrasshill (or even glanmire) to dunkettle as an L driver on that road?
    Completely illegal. Stick to the old road or get your licence.
    But it's some dose trying to avoid it too :P
    But surely you start off not on the motorway?
    Carlow2011 wrote: »
    The old 'Glanmire bypass' from Dunkettle to Glanmire is 100kph from there on you're 120 to Naas
    Except the toll plazas. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I drive it daily and I'm even not certain but as far as I can be sure the end of motorway is between the Glanmire and Dunkettle junctions so No an L driver should not be on it.
    I don't understand why you think it's hard to avoid, the road through glanmire was the main Dublin road for a hundred years or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

Victor wrote: »
    The M8 extends from Portlaoise to Dunkettle. If it has an 'M' in the designation, it is a motorway.

The Glanmire Bypass is 100km/h for a number of reasons, particularly the tight curves, where traffic can only see a certain distance ahead, especially on the median side. Approaching Dunkettle, there is a need to slow traffic before the interchange.

The motorway 'chopsticks' sign means all of this and you know this.

Completely illegal. Stick to the old road or get your licence.

But surely you start off not on the motorway?

Except the toll plazas. :)

I wouldn't be asking the question if I was sure. I may ditch the car anyway and look for a high horse like yours to run about on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If the signs are blue your on a motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I wouldn't be asking the question if I was sure. I may ditch the car anyway and look for a high horse like yours to run about on.
    Also not allowed on motorways. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Victor wrote: »
    Also not allowed on motorways. ;)

Unless you're racing against someone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭familystand

If theres blue signs stay away as a L driver

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The motorway technically begins 400m after the Dunkettle Interchange. It's not signed this way though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,904 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The motorway technically begins 400m after the Dunkettle Interchange. It's not signed this way though.

If it is not signed, how does it start - technically?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    If it is not signed, how does it start - technically?

The motorway is signed as starting just after Dunkettle Interchange.

However, the legislation which changed the Glanmire bypass from National Primary Road to Motorway states that the Motorway begins 400m north of the Dunkettle Interchange.

This is to facilitate local traffic coming from the Ibis Hotel slip road so they can use the Dunkettle Interchange. Otherwise, traffic which is banned from Motorways would not be able to use this slip road.

Advertisement